Hello

mountain5

Feb 2, 2007
I will move to DR for at least the next few years and I wanted to know where the best area is to live in or around Puerto Plata.

Thx.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I will move to DR for at least the next few years and I wanted to know where the best area is to live in or around Puerto Plata.

Thx.
Hey mountain.
I'm afraid that it's so very subjective, what "best" means.
For instance, I live in Sosua and wouldn't be caught dead living in either Puerto Plata or Cabarete, yet there are many folks with the exact opposite view.
This type of discussion has gone on many many times on DR1, and, logically, those who live in POP thinks it's the tops, and so on for Sosua and Cabarete residents.
I'm afraid that the only way you can know the answer to your question, is to try all three, or at least, check them out, go meet some well reputed DR1 members who live in each area, then when you decide on which city/town/village, you could refine your search down to which area.

mountain5

Feb 2, 2007
Thx.Good suggestion.

Hey mountain.
I'm afraid that it's so very subjective, what "best" means.
For instance, I live in Sosua and wouldn't be caught dead living in either Puerto Plata or Cabarete, yet there are many folks with the exact opposite view.
This type of discussion has gone on many many times on DR1, and, logically, those who live in POP thinks it's the tops, and so on for Sosua and Cabarete residents.
I'm afraid that the only way you can know the answer to your question, is to try all three, or at least, check them out, go meet some well reputed DR1 members who live in each area, then when you decide on which city/town/village, you could refine your search down to which area.

Hi Rocky,
Yes, I think that is a good idea.I will go there for a visit anyway soon so I could check out everything.I have been to Puerto Plata but mostly the hotel area.So, I will see but thx.
Why you think that Sosua is so nice or why do you like it there so much?

Mountain

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi Rocky,
Yes, I think that is a good idea.I will go there for a visit anyway soon so I could check out everything.I have been to Puerto Plata but mostly the hotel area.So, I will see but thx.
Why you think that Sosua is so nice or why do you like it there so much?

Mountain
It's not as noisy, dirty and stinky as POP, has several beaches that are not polluted, unlike the POP beaches, because there's a large gringo expat community that I like, and we have better access to many imposted goods in our stores and supermarkets.
And on, and on, and on.
You will find just as many people who can and will tell you that Sosua is nothing but a sewer full of putas and thieves.
If everyone thought the same as me, nobody would be living in POP and Sosua would be a huge city.

mountain5

Feb 2, 2007
I see

It's not as noisy, dirty and stinky as POP, has several beaches that are not polluted, unlike the POP beaches, because there's a large gringo expat community that I like, and we have better access to many imposted goods in our stores and supermarkets.
And on, and on, and on.
You will find just as many people who can and will tell you that Sosua is nothing but a sewer full of putas and thieves.
If everyone thought the same as me, nobody would be living in POP and Sosua would be a huge city.

Yes, I understand.I just wantde to hear why you chose to live there.
So, thx again.

mountain5

Feb 2, 2007
I dont think I will have the patience to do that but I just wanna live near the beach and maybe not in the worst area.We will see.

mountain5

Feb 2, 2007
Ok,I will keep that in mind although people told me that they made the beach new in POP.Is that true?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ok,I will keep that in mind although people told me that they made the beach new in POP.Is that true?
They brought in a lot of sand, but clearly the water is still so polluted that I wouldn't let my dog go in there.
I was recently talking to the POP ex-Mayor about that very thing, and he guesstimates that if clean up progress continues at the rate that it's going, the beaches may be clean in 20 years or so.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
????

Thx.

Why have you decided to move to Puerto Plata? Are you looking at retirement property? Are you young and moving here for fun and excitement? You stated that you have only stayed in tourist areas. Have you seen the real life areas of POP? Not too many places to live on the beach, especially in the city. Any nice waterfront properties are out of the city and quite expensive. You need to look before leaping. A stay in a hotel does not show what living in the DR is like at all. Lack of electricity, clean water, etc.