DJ-ing in Santo Domingo

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Doing some research for a friend, as to what sort of money a DJ could make in Santo Domingo?

(And no, he's not looking to live off any money made in DJ-ing, it's more of a hobby..but was looking for some ballpark figures...etc)

He has all his own professional equipment and programs, he has DJ-ed at clubs in NY, Spain, Costa Rica and Canada.

He does all kinds of music, preferably more of the Hip Hop, Reggae type stuff usually. But of course is very familiar with Latin music, lots of salsa, flamenco..etc.

I'm not even sure if there are any Hip Hop style clubs in Santo Domingo?

Thanks in advance for any info!!

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
p.s. I also forgot to add, that he is familar with and does have a lot of the techo/dance/house type music that I think is popular at quite a few clubs in SD...

But, Hip Hop is the preference...

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Ok since it's been awhile since I posted my question about DJing in SD and salary and there has been no response...does anyone at least have any ideas as far as contact info or suggestions?

I understand DJing and salary is not such a commonly know thing (so much so as teaching ro call centers..etc)..but I'm hoping someone here might have at least some basic contact info as far as leads for this type of thing?

As I said...this is not meant to be a main salary (to live on) type thing...but a hobby... so any info would be apprciated..

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
How long is a piece of string?

He's a complete unknown here. Prices vary all over the place, depends on location, event etc etc. Oakenfold, Sasha etc are charging US$5-10,000 per night, but they pull in huge crowds. The guy at the local disco may get RD$500-1000 a night if he's lucky.

Plus we have a ton of DJ's here. He needs to be "really" good to stand any chance of making any money.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Ok thanks so much for the reply Robert.

He's really quite good, and has DJed as I mentioned, internationally...

But also, he's not looking to make money per say, it's more of an entertainment/hobby sort of thing.

But I'm glad to get a base price...thanks!! :)

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
As far as DJs go, the ones who will be paid most are House/techno/Dance DJs, hip hop is played in smaller quantities, at fewer venues, and has a smaller following. He might be able to do ok mixing things up between reagetton, hip-hop, and dance music - this tends to be the most common format. But as I said if he wanted to do the hip hop thing, crowds just aren't into that. For example Dock had DJ Colleen Shannon (playboy dj) sponsored by brahma. She was playing typical US hip hop club music, within 15- 20 minutes people started to leave. She only played a half hour set.

If your friend can play house or techno all night, then I might be able to refer you to Dock, as I am in good with the manager. I think it's somewher along the lines of $1000 a night, maybe more. If he's in the city already he can drop demos off.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
El Uruguayo...
Thanks alot for the info greatly appreciated.
I'm passing along the info.
He's currently still in Europe at the moment, but I'll see about getting some demos.
It can't hurt to get some contacts ahead of time!! ;)
Greatly appreciate once again... :)

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
I am sure dj's are a dime a dozen over there and club owners have a list of them dying to work for 20 bucks a night. If he really wants to get noticed, and if he is just doing this as a hobby, for the 15 to 30 bucks a night i believe he may be better off offering his services for free for the first couple months. If he is as good as you state and he developes a following than he will be in a better position to make a little more. What club owner would say no to a person willing to spin for free?

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
True...good advice.
Except I'm sure not all DJ's in the DR that are wanting to work for 20$'s a night have all their own equipment??
Well when we get there we will work on getting some sponsers too....

jupe

Sep 7, 2007
True...good advice.
Except I'm sure not all DJ's in the DR that are wanting to work for 20$'s a night have all their own equipment??
Well when we get there we will work on getting some sponsers too....

Hi Alicious,
I am a DJ from the UK and I own two record labels over there. However as Robert mentioned he and I also (even though I have headlined clubs in the US, England, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa) are complete unknowns in this country.

I disagree about offering his services for free for a few months, one audition will be all that the club promoters will need to know if they think he is worth it or not. I am a professional and only play for money and only in certain venues with only my style of music, but if this is hobby then he should play as much as he can in all locations and build up a following.

I have found it relatively easy over here to get work (I am in the North of the country) but the capital will be more difficult I imagine because there will be more good DJs for competition.

As far as money, here on the north coast he could expect RD$1000 for a night as a newbie, plus drinks (which can add up!), if he is an "opener" which usually happens to unknowns in real clubs, he may get less or have to play for free. Playing for free isn't necessarily a bad thing because if he can open for Oakenfold then he can add that to his CV/resume.

Again it just depends what he wants to do - if it's a hobby, he should not worry about the money and just play for peanuts...because if he gets a following he can then make it a profession because promoters are really only interested in one thing and that's $$$ - if he brings a crowd, thats money in their pocket.

Hope that helps.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Thanks for the info jupe!

I've passed it along.

He just got a pretty good gig for New Years Eve... :D

Perhaps I can pm you for more info in the future if you don't mind :)