Dengue fever

Status
Not open for further replies.

vhauger

Nov 24, 2005
I read an article the other day in the St. Pete paper that Dengue Fever is coming back with a vengence. It said that it was particularly bad in the DR. Anyone have any response to this article?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
MY response is to ask you to get the reporter to tell us where he got his facts from. Could this be the rantings of yet another Canadian holiday maker who got bitten by a mosquito & found a little bump came up?

More (accredited) information would help us comment more clearly as to the seriousness of the report. Although I HAVE heard of cases of Dengue in the country, I have not heard of any affecting tourists & certainly nothing here on the north coast recently. But then ...... Hell, I only LIVE here!! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I read an article the other day in the St. Pete paper that Dengue Fever is coming back with a vengence. It said that it was particularly bad in the DR. Anyone have any response to this article?

Well the Minister of Health has! If you want to read it in English try People's Daily Online which is a Chinese paper :) and which doesn't know the difference between Dominica & the DR ;)
Dominica rejects English newspaper's dengue report - People's Daily Online

This all started as a result of the UK's Sunday Times last weekend:
Caribbean on dengue fever alert - Times Online

Maybe the St. Pete paper was similar?

Meanwhile, according to El Nuevo Diario
Continúan salas hospita Juan Pablo Pina llena de pacietes con Dengue hemorrágico y clásico*

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004

I live in SD and have had 2 of my expat friends down with dengue in the last 3 weeks.One real sick and in hospital for 9 days,with the bad dengue,the other just sick for about a week,and not in hospital,he had the lesser of the dengues.So,it has me more aware and using OFF when I walk, and keeping house windows closed at night.Might as well be careful.
bob

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
My maid is currently in the hospital with Dengue; apparently she will need to be hospitalized for 8 days until she recovers.

Has anyone else been noticing increased Dengue problems?

Raina1

Oct 24, 2007
Dengue Fever

I travel to Sosua 3 times a year. In March of this year I got dengue fever. It was not a pleasant experience. Fortunately for me I did not require hospitalization. I returned to Sosua in May and was very careful to apply mosquito repellent both day and night.

Status
Not open for further replies.