buildings falling down in Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
When I was in PP in April there was a building falling down on Calle Beller across from the north west corner of Parque Central. I just heard today that it is still in the process of falling down. This is a hazard for people walking by on the sidewalk. The second story is leaning over the street.

Why has nothing been done by the city to clean up this eyesore and dangerous situation in such a beautiful tourist area?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Could be any one of the following:
Lack of finance by the owner to rebuild,
Lack of interest - waiting for it to fall down naturally rather than PAY for it.
Everyone KNOWS it is unsafe so they 'Move Around' it (actually - I think the upper floor has recently imploded, so THAT risk is gone!).
Just general apathy in that the Parque Central work continues at a very slow pace - so why should the owner restore or rebuild when there will be little or no trade?
The owner is probably selling the property & no new buyers are prepared to pay up until they see an end to the Parque Central building works!

Pick any one (or more) from the above! TOWN PLANNING???? Forget it!! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
When I was in PP in April there was a building falling down on Calle Beller across from the north west corner of Parque Central. I just heard today that it is still in the process of falling down. This is a hazard for people walking by on the sidewalk. The second story is leaning over the street.

The second storey was largely removed (or fell!) after a lot of kerfuff in the local press - this was a couple of months back. If you do a search of back issues of El Faro online you'll find the saga. The ground floor was a shop which sold tourist stuff. That has now been closed. Maybe the merchandise has been moved to another shop - I don't know. When I say 'largely' removed I mean the back of the second floor was removed but some of the front was left remaining - I suspect due to 'patrimonial cultural' issues (law relating to preservation of frontispieces of historical buildings :rolleyes:), but I don't know for sure.

Another building which is falling down is the birthplace of Gregorio Luperon on 12 de Julio - you could have walked past this many times without realising what it was. I took a pic and sent it to Puerto Plata Digital, click on link immediately under the pic for enlarged version which shows you how dilapidated the building really is. For those who don't know where it is, it's opposite Libreria Ripol on 12 de Julio, not far from Post Office.
Puerto Plata Digital

Perhaps the biggest concern at the moment lies between Puerto Plata and Sosua, on the main road with a lot of traffic happily driving over it every day :ermm:. Puente Cangrejos which, if you'll forgive the pun, is getting crabbier every day. Over 50 years old and some feel it is about to disintegrate any minute. Click on photos here for enlargements:
sacandomelao: Puente Cangrejos sobrepasó su vida útil

The water feature isn't an ornamental fountain but a hole in the pipes.

S

sokitoumi

direct me to the beautiful tourist :squareeyearea in puerto plata

S

sokitoumi

actually the beach is looking quite nice now....what are the buildings on the beach for....shower cubicals?

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Not showers; supposed to be refreshment sales and whatnot to avoid the 'independants' from setting up again.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Lambada

Thanks for the pictures. The bridge condition is scary. I'm sure that most of us have crossed that bridge hundreds of times not knowing that it could collapse at any time. Thanks for the update. Do you think the gov't is considering repairs to it, or will they just wait until someone is injured when it finally collapses? You have made me nervous now.:ermm:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The Government certainly knows about it because the Diputado for that area (Felix Castillo for Montellano) keeps bringing it up in Congress with persistent and monotonous regularity.............now if it had a TRAIN running across it, it might get more attention................:laugh:

You're nervous? What about the folks who live here & drive across it every day? ;)

Wouldn't it be ironic if it finally gave way during the Pres's political caravan up here in early November?

On the question of how long things take, you saw my other pic of Gregorio Luperon's house? Apparently it was agreed by the Leonel Fernandez administration that the house should be preserved............during his first Presidency 1996-2000
Museo de Gregorio Luperón, tres gobiernos de espera y amenazas que no se materializan

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Puente Cangejos is apparently not the only bridge in an iffy condition at present. The others are listed in this article, notably the one across the San Marcos river. Apparently when the road was repaired all they did was put a lick of paint on the upper part of the bridge, without doing anything about the structural deterioration.............:ermm:
Puerto Plata Digital

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Well....................it is no more, La Casa de Bamb? has finally gone. Pics here:
Puerto Plata Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.