OneMax - WiMAX - 1st Test!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Today I had a chance to play with and perform a comparison (Codetel) test of the new WiMax service that’s being rolled out by OneMax in Santo Domingo.

OneMax is a new company that was officially launched last night.
They appear to be well backed, good people and here for the long term, let's hope so :)

Currently OneMax is rolling out service in Santo Domingo, with plans to expand into other parts of the country starting 2008. They are sending me a coverage map, as soon as I have it I will post it. Also it should soon be available on their site. OneMax

At the beginning of next year (Jan 08) OneMax will have a dedicated 155 mega bit fiber connection from the Sprint NAP in Miami. Right now they are using a fiber from Codetel. This will mean they will be 100% independent from Codetel, unlike most of the other broadband suppliers here.

WiMAX is very similar to how a cell phone network works. If your in range of a cell, you can get service. You do not need a dedicated phone line or cable connection. For more info on WiMax and how it works, take a look at the link: WiMAX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The modem (OneBox) has a few led’s for signal strength and service etc. It has a small footprint and the service is very easy to setup, just plug it in and go. Note the antenna on the left, just like a cell phone. You can plug an external one in to get a signal or more signal strength. In our test, the speed appeared to be the same despite moving the box around the building and getting varying signal strength levels.

onemax_1.jpg

Each client also receives a dedicated phone number. This allows you to plug a normal phone into the box and make and receive calls, it's cool! The rates are pretty good and on their website. They offer plans for call centers (up to 4MB up / 2MB down) and I believe each box can handle up to 96 simultaneous phone connections. I have a feeling that if this takes off, call centers will be beating at their door for service.

Speed Test:
For this I used dslreports.com and their Speakeasy NY Server.
It’s not the be all and end all of tests, but it allows you to make a pretty good comparison.

Connections used and costs.

Plan & Cost - Codetel: Plan Avanzado 2
1.5 MB / 728 kbps – RD$2,850 per month + tax (RD$3,648)
Codetel

Plan & Cost - OneMax: One Three
1.5 MB / 128 kbps – RD$2,990 per month + tax (RD$3,827)
OneMax

Speed - Codetel
1071 down / 102 up – 115 latency
883 down / 152 up – 139 latency

Speed - OneMax
1398 down / 105 up – 99 latency
1372 down / 78 up – 102 latency
1394 down / 104 up – 103 latency

Conclusion:
OneMax is very easy to set up, just plug the box in and away you go.
Right now you are getting what you pay in terms of speed, unlike Codetel.

Browsing appears faster than with our Codetel DSL. This might be due to the latency difference, slight improvement in bandwidth, not sure to be honest. Either way, it's a welcome change form the horrendous service Codetel has been offering of late and their continuing DNS issues etc.

We will continue to evaluate the OneMax service and keep you updated.
Hopefully in a couple of years we can roam around the country with our WiMAX enabled laptops and get high speed internet and phone service :)

Last edited:

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
I think the up/down needs to be the other way around in your Speed report?

Two tests I'm particularly interested in are:

- Does the net-speed suffer - and how much - while the Phone is in use? Assuming a single phone is plugged in.

- What effect does weather/rain have on the connection & speed if any?

After talking to them again, it appears the Antenna for my area is not yet operational but under construction. Can't wait for this service.

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Saw the map when attending the opening ceremony last night and it did show they would be offering service for the Colonial City. It pretty much looks like they have the whole of the Distrito Nacional plus the eastern part of the Santo Domingo province -- Los Minas areas (Zona Oriental) covered. From what I understand there are some small pocket areas where it doesn't work, that is why when you are about to sign up they double check your address before selling the service to you. Give them a call.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Robert,do they have service in Zona Colonial?
bob

I saw their map (its actually based on the nice PDF map from colonialzonedr :) and your area was "green"/covered. But so was my area (Bella Vista/Mirador) yet their service wasn't operational here as of a week ago. So the map maybe slightly ahead of actual completion. Best is to not only call but have someone come to your place and test it live for you.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think the up/down needs to be the other way around in your Speed report?

Two tests I'm particularly interested in are:

- Does the net-speed suffer - and how much - while the Phone is in use? Assuming a single phone line.

- What effect does weather/rain have on the connection & speed if any?

After talking to them again, it appears the Antenna for my area is not yet operational but under construction. Can't wait for this service.

Opps, now fixed :)

PM me your name and phone number and we will give it a try.
I can run a speed and audio test as we are chatting :)

Weather, no idea, but will play with it and let you know.

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
You do know that the DNS issues in Codetel are really easy to fix in your own PC? Just subscribe to a free DNS server online...

As for the speeds, Codetel has thousands of users, OneMax has only a few at this point. The way Dominican Companies go... don't be surprised if your speeds and latencies drop significantly once the product takes off.

I know, I'm a pessimist... but history shows time and again that DR companies just don't prepare well for the EXPECTED growth :(

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You do know that the DNS issues in Codetel are really easy to fix in your own PC? Just subscribe to a free DNS server online...

As for the speeds, Codetel has thousands of users, OneMax has only a few at this point. The way Dominican Companies go... don't be surprised if your speeds and latencies drop significantly once the product takes off.

I know, I'm a pessimist... but history shows time and again that DR companies just don't prepare well for the EXPECTED growth :(

Yes, I use opendns, but still we have issues, as does everyone else that uses Codetel.

I am told that the planned contention ratio "channel sharing" will be very low for WiMAX service they are rolling out here. Yes, you will see a small decrease in bandwidth when many people are on the same channel, but not significant.

The people (French/Americans/Dominicans) involved in setting up OneMax are serious and have a good track record. My hope is that they remain true to their word and become a real competitor in the market. Just like Orange did when they moved into the cel market here.

Time will tell...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
- Does the net-speed suffer - and how much - while the Phone is in use? Assuming a single phone is plugged in.

Just made some calls whilst surfing and doing a speed test.
Appears to be just like a regular phone and didn't notice any changes in speed.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
My hope is that they remain true to their word and become a real competitor in the market. Just like Orange did when they moved into the cel market here.

Time will tell...
That would be great if OneMax could be the "Orange" of the high-speed internet ! That said, I have an Orange cell phone since February 2005 (I switched from Codetel), but I find the Orange quality to have dropped immensly over those past couple of years...

Anyway, thanks Robert to provide this interesting info. If OneMax ever hits the Las Terrenas region, it will be a bomb !!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I am watching with interest because few things would please me more than being able to liberate ourselves from our bondage with Codetel.:bandit:

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
... Just like Orange did when they moved into the cel market here.

Time will tell...

At the moment, Orange is in a state of panic. Their user base has outstripped their capacity and they are seriously lagging in their system upgrades. Recently a big parts of their systems have been suffering breakdowns due to this constant overload. I heard this from from my English students inside Orange.

Have you noticed how many times you have to dial a number before you connect?

Nevertheless, it is still a great company and I am sure they will float up again... at least they still have the users... but it speaks volumes that this happened and has continued for well over a year...

It's a Dominican lethargy virus! :eek:gre:

Theforceinme

Oct 19, 2007
www.facebook.com
That would be great if OneMax could be the "Orange" of the high-speed internet ! That said, I have an Orange cell phone since February 2005 (I switched from Codetel), but I find the Orange quality to have dropped immensly over those past couple of years...

Anyway, thanks Robert to provide this interesting info. If OneMax ever hits the Las Terrenas region, it will be a bomb !!!

point in case from 2 users now :)

STILL, I hope they DO offer good competition. For the moment I am happy with Codetel DSL and I'll just watch OneMax.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
If OneMax has the potential to provide wireless while I'm roaming the country I'm a potential customer, I'm watching closely for the time being but might subscribe and just wait for coverage. Anybody knows what sort of subscriptions are available? Haven't had a chance to check it up yet just back from Bayahibe.

garyOPA

Sep 20, 2007
Currently I am paying $2,850 for 1.5 from Codetel and it sucks,\
and with the phone number service, modem rental and taxes,
my average codetel bill is in the high $5,000 to almost $6,000 range
each month.

And coming from Canada recently were we get 18meg service for
only $100 per month using Cable, this is a large backwards step.

Checking out their webpage it looks good to have another Internet
company, all tho it looks like it might be years before my area
(Barahona) is ever covered, it if at all.

I love the fact they are offering 4mb service, but check out their
prices ----- (sit down for this) ---- $22,990 per month, plus taxes
plus modem rental, plus $390 per phone number (up to 64 lines).

All tho you can call all of this country, USA, Prico and Canada for
free. (not bad, if you have a large place with booths and charging
people money to phone places.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
cool ad person, ...

ONEMAX - Videos

About the company behind it, ..

Mediacom Communications (NASDAQ: MCCC; usually called just Mediacom) is a cable television and communications provider in the United States.
Originally founded as an analog network in 1995, Mediacom is currently the 8th largest cable company in the United States.<sup id="_ref-0" class="reference">[1]</sup> The company employs over 4,000 people and provides cable access to more than 1.5 million subscribers in 23 states. The company focuses on providing cable coverage to non-metropolitan areas. Presently, the company's products and services include analog and digital video services, video on demand, high-definition television, digital video recording, high-speed Internet access, and IP telephone services. The company also offers its customers bundles for its video services combined with Internet or telephone. They promote this bundle as the "VIP package": video, Internet, phone.

Service areas

Mediacom is headquartered in Middletown, New York. It currently provides services in 23 U.S. states including, but not limited to: Alabama, Arizona, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Ohio and Wisconsin.<sup id="_ref-1" class="reference">[2]
</sup><table class="infobox vcard" style="font-size: 90%; width: 23em;"><tbody><tr class="logo"><td colspan="2" style="padding: 16px 0pt; text-align: center;"> </td> </tr> <tr class="note"> <th style="text-align: right; padding-right: 0.75em;">Type</th> <td>Public (NASDAQ: MCCC)</td> </tr> <tr class="note"> <th style="text-align: right; padding-right: 0.75em;">Founded</th> <td>1995</td> </tr> <tr> <th style="text-align: right; padding-right: 0.75em;">Headquarters</th> <td class="adr">Middletown, NY USA</td> </tr> <tr class="note"> <th style="text-align: right; padding-right: 0.75em;">Key people</th> <td>Rocco B. Commisso, Chairman & CEO
Mark E. Stephan, CFO</td> </tr> <tr class="note"> <th style="text-align: right; padding-right: 0.75em;">Industry</th> <td>Telecommunications</td> </tr> <tr class="note"> <th style="text-align: right; padding-right: 0.75em;">Products</th> <td>Cable Television, Broadband Internet, VoIP</td> </tr> <tr class="note"> <th style="text-align: right; padding-right: 0.75em;">Revenue</th> <td> $1.098 Billion USD (2005)</td></tr></tbody></table>
<sup id="_ref-1" class="reference">
</sup>

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Seems Alcatel-Lucent is a partner, ..

ONEMAX and Alcatel-Lucent Launch the First Worldwide WiMAX Rev-e network in the 3.5 Gigahertz Spectrum

Paris and Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic - October 24, 2007 ? ONEMAX, a new and innovative broadband wireless access provider serving the Dominican Republic, and Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) today announced the launch of the first WiMAX 802.16e-2005 (Rev-e) network in the 3.5 Gigahertz (GHz) spectrum in the world.

ONEMAX and Alcatel-Lucent launch the first WiMAX Rev-e network in the 3.5 Gigahertz spectrum in the world