Community College in New York

loosinghope

Aug 13, 2007
hi, not sure if i'm posting in the right place, but here is my question:
is there an inexpensive community college in nyc/manhattan? i have a bilingual friend that needs to find a cheap college (if there is even such a thing)

anything?

Thanks

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
is there an inexpensive community college in nyc/manhattan? i have a bilingual friend that needs to find a cheap college (if there is even such a thing)

anything?

Thanks

The CUNY system has many good affordable colleges.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
If your friends' english is not that good and he or she does not have more than 2 years of college credits from another school, then Hostos Community College will be the best move for her.

It is on 149th street and Grand Concourse in the Bronx. They cater to the spanish-speaking community(many dominicans who are not fluent in spanish do well here and go on to bigger and better things), many of their buildings are brand new and they have some really great programs to get a student ready to enter a 4 year institution.

They have an accelerated academic program in conjunction with Columbia University and many in the program attend there after finishing their 2 years at Hostos.

They also have an excellent pre-dental program. Of all the CUNY schools this may serve your friends' needs the best.

They also help greatly with financial aid assistance.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004

anything?

Thanks

Or BMCC in lower manhattan is also a good choice. It really matters what your friend is majoring (career choice) in and if your friend have a GED or High-School Diploma (one that's recognized)

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Sorry, Berzin, but "many" is not accurate reflection. They tend to select 1 student every few years that can meet the rigorous standards of CU. Usually, that student is tested by entering a special program that allows them to take a few classes within the CU system. If the student is able to handle the work then they may be seriously considered as a transfer student. And *may* is the key word here.

I am not a strong supporter of community colleges, but do see their value in terms of closing the educational gap and cost for some recently arrived bilingual students. If a smart student goes and does well and transfers within a year or two to a 4-yr respected university, then yes, they just got a cheap degree. But such a track comes at too high-risk IMHO.

My strong concern with CC is that for most people who lack direction (and who doesn't at that age?) make attending a CC a career rather than a stepping stone, the intention of a CC system. Furthermore, some of these schools to me are just an extension of high school, which to me does not say much at all, especially in the urban environment that is NYC. These schools to me just lack the rigor that one would see at more established 4-yr university environment. While there are a few exceptions nationwide, empirically that tends to be the rule.

Deelt

They have an accelerated academic program in conjunction with Columbia University and many in the program attend there after finishing their 2 years at Hostos.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
NYC CUNY system has 2 decent 4 year schools that I know of. I am not familiar will all of them. Hunter College is very good. I went there. The school of Nursing and School of Social Work are very good. The "regular" college when I went was very difficult.

It was not-- I'm going to hang out in the hall and pass because I showed up. I worked my A$$ off to get good grades.

Baruch Business School also has a good reputation.

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
If your friends' english is not that good and he or she does not have more than 2 years of college credits from another school, then Hostos Community College will be the best move for her.

It is on 149th street and Grand Concourse in the Bronx. They cater to the spanish-speaking community(many dominicans who are not fluent in spanish do well here and go on to bigger and better things), many of their buildings are brand new and they have some really great programs to get a student ready to enter a 4 year institution.

I guest you meant to say "many dominicans who are not fluent in English?" Or did you really mean Spanish?

Last edited:

cuas

May 29, 2006
I have 2 10th graders. I am shopping for colleges. In the beginning of this month I attendend a conference at the Sheraton by UFT. The speaker was a guidance (career) counselor from a high school. She advised all the parents whose children do not get scholarship to go to CUNY for two years and then apply to a famous university. She said middle class do not qualify for financial aids and then has to pay high amount that some cannot afford., but low income qualify for a lot of help.
I was planning shipping my children to another state, but now I have second thought.
I also heard on TV last year a college planner said that 4 years universities focus more in research but two years colleges focus in education meaning that that the 4 years spend most of their funds in research but the years spend their money on the students.

Back on track Hostos helps hispanic students. A friend of mine quit Mercy College because she could not keep up with the English.
He can call hostos and ask what they offer and the fees. I heard with a student visa the fee is higher, they also help with the issueing of student visa but he needs to qualify.

loosinghope

Aug 13, 2007

They also have an excellent pre-dental program. Of all the CUNY schools this may serve your friends' needs the best.

They also help greatly with financial aid assistance.

Thank you sooooo much for all the info. My friend is a he and speaks decent english, but he reads it slow and writes it like he was speaking spanish. it's not horrible, but not as strong as it should be. he's already attended one semester of college down in florida and is now going to start searching for schools in new york b/c his family is moving there. i know he wants to be in manhattan, but if he has to go to the bronx then that's what he has to do.

again, thank you for all your input, it's greatly appreciated.

if you think of any other options, please let me know.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Transferring to Columbia is not easy. Only the finest are admitted.

An applicant needs strong reference letters, an outstanding GPA from a four-year respected University (e.g. NYU, Cornell, Yale, etc.) and a solid personal statement (for international students, a solid TOEFL score is also required).

But I have seen a few ("a few") students transfer to Columbia from a Community College. So keep your hopes up and go after your dreams and goals!!! :)