Latino Immigrants Attachment To Motherland

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Very interesting report. I read a similar one myself and the conclusion was that dominicans show the highest transnationalism. I was born in the US to dominican parents and highly respect and love this country for all the opportunities it has given us but I have a huuuge connection to the DR... I am very proud to call myself dominican regardless of what anyone says.

I'll admit I didn't read word for word, but why do you say it offers "expats living in the DR some ramifications to reflect on?"... just curious.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'll admit I didn't read word for word, but why do you say it offers "expats living in the DR some ramifications to reflect on?"... just curious.

I was wondering about the functions served by transnationalism other than the obvious. For example, the report says that among Latinos in the US for 30 years or more, 36% send remittances and 19% call at least weekly. That is a high connectivity level. I wondered how many expats in DR for 30 years or more telephone their country of origin weekly? I would doubt that the percentage is as high. And I wondered also, given that most expats in DR aren't involved in sending remittances to US or Europe whether other forms of behaviour replace this, either physically or psychologically? I won't spell it out in more detail for now, because I don't want to influence people's responses.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
No Surprise!

I have not been able to access the site provided, but what has been stated is no surprise to me. The immigrants that came to the USA from Europe (many through Ellis Island in New York) had no intention of returning to Italy, Poland, Germany, France, or where ever else they came. Not so of Dominicans and other Hispanic groups arriving in the USA today. Most of these people are in the USA to make money and, as soon as they can, go back to their own countries. The realtive proximity of DR, PR, Mexico,and other Latin American countries coupled with the relative ease of travel to their native countries makes this totally possible. Many of these people do not even learn English and have no desire to assimilate into the US culture. For some, even if they are born in the USA, they still consider themselves Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, or whatever the country their parents country may be.

malik

On Vacation
Oct 25, 2007
im definitely not reading this but. I was born in the U.S and cant wait to go back to DR and have no intention of every coming back to this garbage country. :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I have not been able to access the site provided

If you can't get to it from my link go to pewhispanic.org and you'll find it easily enough for yourself I think.

malik, I wasn't intending the thread to be US bashing but suggestions about reasons for the strong transnationalism among Dominican expats (like LatinoRican provided). And also about how expats in DR replace this sort of behaviour.

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
im definitely not reading this but. I was born in the U.S and cant wait to go back to DR and have no intention of every coming back to this garbage country. :)

A typical ignoramus dominican immigrant who cant make money in the US.go home now loser.We Do not need or want you here

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Why don't you leave the U.S. right away??

He should be kicked out, if he feels like that. So many people are given the opportunity of a life time and all they do is criticize and complaint about the country that gave them that opportunity to make some money and live a better life.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
He should be kicked out, if he feels like that. So many people are given the opportunity of a life time and all they do is criticize and complaint about the country that gave them that opportunity to make some money and live a better life.

Maybe he is talking like this because he knows that he is about to be deported???

malik

On Vacation
Oct 25, 2007
If you can't get to it from my link go to pewhispanic.org and you'll find it easily enough for yourself I think.

malik, I wasn't intending the thread to be US bashing but suggestions about reasons for the strong transnationalism among Dominican expats (like LatinoRican provided). And also about how expats in DR replace this sort of behaviour.
Eazy, DR is paradise. Women, Beaches, Weather, Liquor, Music, Swagger. Only reason to leave is if you dirt poor or you actually beleive the crap these dudes say on how U.S.A is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Stop catching feelings you uncle tom's. Ya'll the same people saying you love DR, but only go for vaca and will look at a dude sideways when they suggest you stay to live smellme? Being rich in DR > being rich in USA. Im going to stay next year and never come back till i need my passport renewed smellme? :)

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006

It's funny how similar that is to expats who live in the DR but spend much of their time bashing everything DR related...the ppl, the gov, etc.

I'm not saying this is you but it's no different to those people. Just bc an immigrant lives in the US doesn't mean they have to like everything about it and kiss the ground they live in. Just like an american can criticize their own country, an immigrant can as well...this was his opinion... he doesn't like this country so he's leaving...just as you suggested. It's not his cup of tea so he's heading back...so what? to each is own.

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
Really!!

Ok. how many of you have seen the show where there is a guy holding a little radio on his shoulder and saying: Oche, oche (oye), shhhhh ese asq......!!!

That's all I can say about the above comment, Malik!

Perlanegra

malik

On Vacation
Oct 25, 2007
Ok. how many of you have seen the show where there is a guy holding a little radio on his shoulder and saying: Oche, oche (oye), shhhhh ese asq......!!!

That's all I can say about the above comment, Malik!

Perlanegra
Nobody has seen this show. Keep it real. It must have been a show YOU did.