AI or condo

Status
Not open for further replies.

gert51

Dec 27, 2004
hi we have visited Dominican Republic 3 times and have always go AI, but for our visit next year possibly October for 2 weeks,we are thinking apartment/condo what are the pitfalls if any thinking of sosua as we like it there, is there any places to avoid, need a 2 bedroomed, are there lots of places to eat, so i don't have to slave over hot stove, rather be sunning myself on beach
thank in advance for help offered Trudy

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
hi we have visited Dominican Republic 3 times and have always go AI, but for our visit next year possibly October for 2 weeks,we are thinking apartment/condo what are the pitfalls if any thinking of sosua as we like it there, is there any places to avoid, need a 2 bedroomed, are there lots of places to eat, so i don't have to slave over hot stove, rather be sunning myself on beach
thank in advance for help offered Trudy
There's good and bad everything in life.
Here's a link to a condo in El Neptuno, arguably the best condo complex in town with 2 bed units.
Vacation Rentals .com - Dominican Republic Caribbean Luxury Sosua Condo
And yes, there's a zillion places to eat.
(5 min. walk to beach)

dreamsource

Jul 29, 2007
We recently made the transition from AI to condo and enjoyed it thoroughly. Only thing I can recommend is that you do brush up on your basic spanish a bit, which is a good idea anyway.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Just be exactly sure you know where the condo is located. The use of "Sosua" as a location stretches far and wide in local usage. If you want to be within walking distance of the beach your possible locations will be much more restricted than if you are comfortable hopping on a moto, e.g. Your pricing will basically reflect your location and quality of condo, also.

Gregg

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I live in El Neptuno, the condo recommended by Rocky. We are in a quiet, upscale neighborhood but only about 2 blocks from center of town and the beach. All our apartments are 2 bedroom, 2 baths and the bedrooms have AC. The apartments are large and fully furnished. You just need to buy the food you are going to prepare and your beverages.

The rate for this high season is US$550/week for a one or two week stay, plus electricity. We don't include that because of differences between users. If we did, we would have to assume 24/7 of AC and hot water heater, which some renters do. If you use both with care, cost of electricity about US$3 per day.

Our administrator, Ramona Valdez, speaks excellent English. You can call her at 809-571-2664 or email her at elneptuno2005@gmail.com

gert51

Dec 27, 2004
hi thanks for info, if we can sort out flights think its gone be condo's for us next year

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
THere are also small indie hotels you can check out that are NOT AI but offer some extra amenities that a condo might not give you. Maid service...security..breakfast, perhaps airport pickup...laundry, electricity, etc.

I would never stay at an AI...but yeah..when i am holiday and i enjoy some of the perks staying at a hotel.

I also travel with lotsa gadgets...laptop, ipod, cams etc. ITs nice to know that my stuff is safe when i am not in my room.

(disclaimer...i am not in anyway putting down Ken or Rocky's info!!!) I havent done the condo thing so i plead ignorant!!! but i WOULD ask about secuirty and some of the other amenities i mentioned. I am pretty sure a condo would offer secuirty...but what about the other stuff that mentioned? I know i certainly miss maid service when i come back home LOL.

more info please?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
THere are also small indie hotels you can check out that are NOT AI but offer some extra amenities that a condo might not give you. Maid service...security..breakfast, perhaps airport pickup...laundry, electricity, etc.

I would never stay at an AI...but yeah..when i am holiday and i enjoy some of the perks staying at a hotel.

I also travel with lotsa gadgets...laptop, ipod, cams etc. ITs nice to know that my stuff is safe when i am not in my room.

(disclaimer...i am not in anyway putting down Ken or Rocky's info!!!) I havent done the condo thing so i plead ignorant!!! but i WOULD ask about secuirty and some of the other amenities i mentioned. I am pretty sure a condo would offer secuirty...but what about the other stuff that mentioned? I know i certainly miss maid service when i come back home LOL.

more info please?
I can't speak for all condo rentals, but I can tell you that the ones we rent, come with daily maid service, and I know that El Neptuno also has maid service, although I can't say for sure if it's 7 days per week.
I know what you're talking about with regards to additional security from a hotel, and it makes sense, as there's always staff watching your back, even if you were to leave the door to your room open.
That being said, complexes like the Palms, Las Ca?as, El Neptuno and Trade Winds are all known to be quite secure.
Nothing's perfect in this world, but I would feel comfortable in any and all of the ones mentioned.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
thanks rock!

I really DO like the indie travel experience. For some reason i think the OP would be better off at a smaller hotel. They have only stayed at AI's before...and stated that they dont plan on doing their own cooking etc. (tho many small hotels DO have small kitchenettes if you DO decide to cook).

I AM curious as to how much extra the charge is for electricity. I DO like me some AC! One suggestion to avoid AC 24/7 would be to install timers. That way the AC could cool the place down about an hour before coming home from the playa.

I am certainly no chicken when it comes to traveling...but i gotta say again...with all the stuff i take with me...the security of my STUFF is important to me. I am definitely adventurous...but i like to know that my home base is secure. I dunno...again..something for the OP to think about since they are making the leap from an AI.

A

apostropheman

i've stayed at both the Palms and Trade Winds and both had maid service, 24 hour electric, hot water, armed security guards and wireless internet. airport pick up is generally available if you are renting thru Rocky and arriving at POP.

there is a washing machine and dryer available at the palms, although it's coin operated and do-it-yourself, but there are many lavanderias in Sosua. about 100 pesos for a grocery bag of clothes...last time i paid for it anyway.

as for breakfast either mi novia cooks for me or,
and don't EVER tell her i said this but, better yet Rocky's for my favorite breakfast...#40 :) . there are other excellent places for breakfast as well. i prefer to get out of the hotel room/condo and see the sights ASAP anyway.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
thanks rock!

I really DO like the indie travel experience. For some reason i think the OP would be better off at a smaller hotel. They have only stayed at AI's before...and stated that they dont plan on doing their own cooking etc. (tho many small hotels DO have small kitchenettes if you DO decide to cook).

I AM curious as to how much extra the charge is for electricity. I DO like me some AC! One suggestion to avoid AC 24/7 would be to install timers. That way the AC could cool the place down about an hour before coming home from the playa.

I am certainly no chicken when it comes to traveling...but i gotta say again...with all the stuff i take with me...the security of my STUFF is important to me. I am definitely adventurous...but i like to know that my home base is secure. I dunno...again..something for the OP to think about since they are making the leap from an AI.
We rent condos with electric included, but there are places that charge extra, and mostly it's the bigger condos that do.
A guest could burn up 15 to 20 bux per day leaving the AC on all the time full blast, so I do understand why they do it that way.
Imagine renting out a 2 bed condo for $1,000 US for the month and getting a $700 electric bill.
Wouldn't be very profitable for them.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
totaly agree rocky. ITs oool that the other poster pointed that out (the one with the condo). I just would make sure to bring my own timer with me...so when i come home i would be comfortable.

and i might actually do that on my next trip even tho at candil they dont charge extra...but the maid WILL turn of the AC tho. As a considration to them i WILL bring my own timer (already have one) so that i dont waste electricity...but still have a comfy cool room when i walk in.

It is insteresting what things we travelers overlook or take for granted when we are abroad.

I look forward to some day getting up to the north and trying out your famous ribs!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Re electricity, we started charging after a couple of experiences like Rocky described. Our apartments are qute large, about 1300 sq ft and have AC in both bedrooms and some also have it in the living room, and there is an electric hot water heater. If all those run 24/7, like they do with some renters if it is included, then most of the rent goes to pay the electric bill. The choice was to assume all renters do that, which they do not, or charge electricity separately.

Re security, we have lock boxes in all apartments and are just starting the upgrading of our property security. We are putting locked gates on all entrances from the street, one with an electronic keypad lock will be the primary entrance, and we are raising many of the walls 3' using wrought iron. This first-phase project will be completed by mid-December

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
one of these trips i've been thinking about el neptuno, or tradewinds. they look like great places to stay. i wonder if they have rooms 7-13 nov ?

Status
Not open for further replies.