Need help - Interview packet

antoniusbl

Oct 27, 2007
Miami, Florida, United States
I would normally post this on the domicanstotheusa board but the site over there is down. If anyone from that board is lurking over here and can help me out it would be much appreciated.

I have my interview coming up Nov 30 and my wife sent the packet back to the embassy with the following errors/ommissions:

1) she had some agency help her with the forms and the DS-156 had incorrect information for my address. They must have used either the information on my passport or my most recent address becuase they would not have access to any other information. Can I correct this at the time of the interview? Can I complete the online DS-156 or will this cause more confusion with multiple copies at the embassy?

2)The I-864 with my most recent income tax info was not included. They used the original that I had sent in a year earlier with AOS fees that only had my tax information through 2005. Copies of my 2006 tax returns and W-2's for the last three years were left out of the packet. I have all of this with me. WIll it be OK if I bring an updated I-864 along with all supporting docs to the interview?

3)My passport information that I provided is that of a passport that is currently being replaced. I took it to the embassy in SD a week and a half ago because it is worn and I had problems being allowed on a flight earlier this year. They told me it would take three weeks or so for a new copy and I dont know whether or not the number will be different. If it is I can imagine that this might cause a problem but I would hope it could be corrected at the time of the interview.

4)Will they accept an electronic copy of my 2006 tax return or does it need to be a photocopy of the original? The instructions say that it needs to be a copy of the original document but I cant see how an electronic copy would be any different.

Thanks in advance for the help.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
I would normally post this on the domicanstotheusa board but the site over there is down. If anyone from that board is lurking over here and can help me out it would be much appreciated.

I have my interview coming up Nov 30 and my wife sent the packet back to the embassy with the following errors/ommissions:

1) she had some agency help her with the forms and the DS-156 had incorrect information for my address. They must have used either the information on my passport or my most recent address becuase they would not have access to any other information. Can I correct this at the time of the interview? Can I complete the online DS-156 or will this cause more confusion with multiple copies at the embassy?

2)The I-864 with my most recent income tax info was not included. They used the original that I had sent in a year earlier with AOS fees that only had my tax information through 2005. Copies of my 2006 tax returns and W-2's for the last three years were left out of the packet. I have all of this with me. WIll it be OK if I bring an updated I-864 along with all supporting docs to the interview?

3)My passport information that I provided is that of a passport that is currently being replaced. I took it to the embassy in SD a week and a half ago because it is worn and I had problems being allowed on a flight earlier this year. They told me it would take three weeks or so for a new copy and I dont know whether or not the number will be different. If it is I can imagine that this might cause a problem but I would hope it could be corrected at the time of the interview.

4)Will they accept an electronic copy of my 2006 tax return or does it need to be a photocopy of the original? The instructions say that it needs to be a copy of the original document but I cant see how an electronic copy would be any different.

Thanks in advance for the help.

1. I don't think I would send in yet another DS-156. This is a prime example of why people should not let their Dominican spouse or SO fill out the paperwork. This paperwork is intended for the USC. Your Dominican spouse doesn't know how things are done in the States and is certainly not familiar with the process. Nor is any agency in the DR no matter what they tell you.

2. This is very important information that they left out. You will not get the visa without it. I would contact the Consulate and find out if they want you to send it under separate cover. With the new system, they are not suopposed to let you interview unless they have the full packet with all the correct info.

3. It should not cause any problems since you are not the one getting the visa. Your passport (even the one being replaced) is valid. Just make sure you have the new one at the interview. AFAIK they will not let you in to the Consulate without one.

4. Electronic transcripts are just fine as well as actual photocopies.

Sorry about the site, there are still some issues I have to resolve before we are back on line. be assured i am working as hard and as fast as I can to get it back up and running.

-Tim

antoniusbl

Oct 27, 2007
Thank you Tim. I sure hope the site is up soon. I called the Visa hotline number and they told me that they would not allow me to send in any more documents. He told me that the decision about what to do would be at the discretion of the consulate officer.

Is there any possible way to have this situation corrected? I am living in the DR right now until our Nov 30 interview date so I could go down to the embassy but they arent very receptive to discussing pending cases down there.

I'm not too familiar with the process on the day of the interview. Will I get a chance to explain the situation to someone on that day and take corrective action or will we be pre-screened out of the process based on the missing documents? Thanks again for your help on this.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Thank you Tim. I sure hope the site is up soon. I called the Visa hotline number and they told me that they would not allow me to send in any more documents. He told me that the decision about what to do would be at the discretion of the consulate officer.

Is there any possible way to have this situation corrected? I am living in the DR right now until our Nov 30 interview date so I could go down to the embassy but they arent very receptive to discussing pending cases down there.

I'm not too familiar with the process on the day of the interview. Will I get a chance to explain the situation to someone on that day and take corrective action or will we be pre-screened out of the process based on the missing documents? Thanks again for your help on this.

I was at the consulate last Monday to assist someone that had a citta. I was not allowed in (showed my US passport_ didn't matter.) Told to await outside(3 hours)

Mayimbe007

Mar 24, 2007
I was at the consulate last Monday to assist someone that had a citta. I was not allowed in (showed my US passport_ didn't matter.) Told to await outside(3 hours)

Hi John,
I think they only let in the petitioner and visa applicants for the visa interview. If the visa applicant hires an attorney they are allowed to accompany them as well.

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
Reading this post...does my Dominican spouse need to have all of that info...such as I-864, copy of my passport, tax returns...I thought I brought all that stuff with me...and what is a DS-156....oh by the way I'm a IR-1

Mayimbe007

Mar 24, 2007
Cbarrin all you guys are going to need to hand over to the courier is listed here: Immigrant Visa Unit - Pre-Interview Document Collection for IV Applicants. Here is a quick list:

1. DS-230 (parts 1 and 2)
2. I-864 (with latest tax return)
3. Applicant Birth Certificate Form in the inextensa form and legalized.
4. Wedding Certificate Form in the inextensa form and legalized.
5. Good Conduct Certificate.
6. Copy of Applicant Passport (page with picture and info)
7. Copy of Applicant Cedula (national Id)
8. 2 pictures 2x2 of applicant.
9. Certified copy of Petitioner BC.
10. Copy of Petitioner Passport.
11. Banco Popular $10 Receipt.

The DS-156 is only for people doing the K visas.

cbarrin

Feb 1, 2005
But why did his wife have to put all his documentation together...is it because he didn't apply as choice of agent?

My husband doesnet have my tax returns and all that stuff....I guess that was my question....

Thanks...

antoniusbl

Oct 27, 2007
cbarrin,

I am currently living with my wife here in the DR. She is gathering up all of the things she needs to gather and I am getting all the forms and documents together that are my responsibility. The problem was that she went ahead and sent the packet without all of the forms because the agency she was working with to help her with the process told her to do so. Fortunately, we were able to intercept the courier before it was sent to the embassy and they added in the forms and docs.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
But why did his wife have to put all his documentation together...is it because he didn't apply as choice of agent?

My husband doesnet have my tax returns and all that stuff....I guess that was my question....

Thanks...
You are confused because they ahve changed the procedure for document collection. You used to bring the documents to the Consulate the day of the interview. Now, they collect the documents from your SO sometime before the interview. This means YOUR documents. The only thing that they must sign is the DS-230. YOU should fill out the DS-230 for them and have them sign it before they give it to the courier. I don't like this new procedure because it relies too much on your Domincan, but I do think it's a step in the right direction collecting the docs before hand.

Your husband doesn't need tax returns and all that suff, he needs YOUR tax returns and stuff to send with the courier, comprende?

-Tim

ReD_HeAd

Mar 12, 2007
Yes with this new process alot of reliance is being put on the beneficiary. But the petitoner should fill out everything including making all the copies that can be made.

As Tim said if all documents are not received there will be no interview. So you are lucky you were able to intercept the package. Also this is new so not every agency in DR will know what to do especially not in DR.

Also please remember that the courier will be collecting the banco popular receipt, medical receipt and the $65 courier fees. (or 50 if in SDQ)