International Wire tranfer out of DR? Swift??

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
I'm sending my wife down this coming Thursday.

She needs to sign the roll-overs on some CD's.

I want to have her cash one of them, for over 10K under 100K U$ Dollars.

And send it by Wire Transfer, to our NY Citibank account.

CitiBank NY, is a Flat Fee incoming of $10.

Any recommendations on who to use out-going, in SDQ??

I was kinda thinking Vimenca.

Not intersted in Paypal, or 3rd party money routers.

Thanks
Tim

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
I'm sending my wife down this coming Thursday.

She needs to sign the roll-overs on some CD's.

I want to have her cash one of them, for over 10K under 100K U$ Dollars.

And send it by Wire Transfer, to our NY Citibank account.

CitiBank NY, is a Flat Fee incoming of $10.

Any recommendations on who to use out-going, in SDQ??

I was kinda thinking Vimenca.

Not intersted in Paypal, or 3rd party money routers.

Thanks
Tim

I was asking about a transfer from Banco BHD a few weeks ago and they wanted a flat fee of $57 US, for funds $5000 or less.

the killer was that the account my GF had was a peso account and if i put the US dollars I had there into it to transfer to my bank in america they would have to exchange it into pesos. and then my bank would have to exchange it into dollars...and thats were i would get beat up.

I would have to open a new account in dollars to avoid that.

sorry for the extra info...

good luck

bob

Feb 7, 2007
Open a USD or Pesos savings account in Banco Leon, they are pretty fast and have very few requirements (account currency depending on what currency you will cash out the CD). Bring in receipts from cashed CD so they don't question such large deposit and transfer later. Deposit the copies with the official at the branch where you open the account and keep the originals. If you don't do that your transfer may get stopped until you prove origin of funds and reason for transfer and it may be more difficult and time consuming to resolve.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
I have accounts at Banco Un-Popular.

Last year when I sent a wire transfer, they managed to use automated excuse #4 to put the funds in out-going limbo for 15 buissness day.

I was hoping to avoid that this year.

I had the family down there from June to Aug, I should have set up an account a Citibank there.

I was coming in every other weekend.

But I lost my cool the day I went to the relocated CitiBank office and could not use my Citibank One, card to withdraw 5k from my U.S. account.

I should have gone back to Scotia Bank at the Accropolis and opened accounts there, instead of heading off to the Presidente Zone!!!

Worst case is to bring back BP checks, and put them in the account here, and wait, and wait and wait, for them to clear.

Wire transfers are much cleaner for moving legit-cash in and out of the U.S.

Tim

Feb 7, 2007
Oye, if the BP issues you a check, if it is USD check most likely it will be drawn on a US bank. Check if it has a 9 digit ABA number printed on the check, it is the first number on the bottom. Most banks worldwide issue USD checks drawn on their correspondent banks in the USA. So if you deposit the check it would be 2-3 days at the most to clear, and you can be pretty sure of the funds availability (good check).

Feb 7, 2007
... in and out of the USA yep, ... in and out of the DR... ehhh

See if you can establish a personal relationship with a banker in a different bank other than BP... maybe use Banco Santa Cruz, they are much smaller bank than any other DR bank, so it should be much easier to take care of any bottlenecks along the way.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tim: I would suggest Banco Santa Cruz.
I have had them do wire transfers and they went without a hitch.
You just supply the account number, the ABA number and that is it.

Check them out.

Remember this amount will raise a few flags with the IRS and the DEA....especially coming from here.

And Vimenca (Western Union) is not a bad idea,either.

HB

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Thanks to all!!!

I'm flying the wife in and out just for this.

When I flew out last June, I actually had $9,999. Wrapped up in my carry on, I totally forgot about my spending cash, something like $184. In my pockets.

Did not declare the cash thinking I was cool.

Until........... Customs NY.

I don't know if true or not, but those metallic stripes in the currency tells them it's there.

Since I had the whole paper-trail as to my having the funds, I simply needed to declare it, no penalties were involved.

And while I'm at, let me clarify, all my transactions are legitimate. I do not dabble in any grey areas.

Thanks.
Tim

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
The whole event that started this, is that while my Family was enjoying the whole summer down there, Daddy went and got a new PUSSY-cat.

Now my wife is telling me she wants a kitty too!

pic.php

Tim

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Tim" It sounds like you don't care much for BPD, but since you already have accounts over there I think this is the easier route. I have transferred USD's from BPD to my US bank account and it was done in less than a day (Of course I transferred less than 10,000 USD at a time)...But I think you could still transfer more than the 10,000 USD's without any holdup if you take the advice given above about giving them copies of your cashed in CD's. You'll have the same issue regardless of what bank you go through...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey Tim, that's a nice die-cast. Looks like some of the Hot Wheels that my grandson plays with. How did you do that neat photo?

Glad you had the sense not to do that in the DR. The kids here would have stolen it off of your table.

HB

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
HB you are so right!

The roads in the DR have the ability make a NEW CAR, OLD-OLD-OLD, in months!!!!!:laugh:

Tim H.