Split from 'Biggest mistakes and best things'

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
In regards to a few of the expat posters mentioning not only making the mistake of trusting other expats in the RD.

I am not intending to have a bash the RD or expat thread but seems along with my naiveties when learning about the RD I never would have expected to hear that other expats had been a part of a bad experience you had or that they were something/someone else to watch out for.

I know of some personally but I guess I spend most of my time with locals. And I am not in the position to do business with anyone yet in the RD but I have had only good and friendly advice from the expats that I do know.

What can you share about your experiences with fellow expats?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
In regards to a few of the expat posters mentioning not only making the mistake of trusting other expats in the RD.

What can you share about your experiences with fellow expats?
There's is a syndrome, where newbies tend to automatically trust people of their own nationality.
They're out there in an unknown world, and the minute they meet a fellow homeland brother, bingo, they're prime pickings to become a scammer's victim.
We've seen it countless times, specially with expats who surf all the message boards looking for newbies arriving from their native homeland, offering to meet them at the airport, show them around, put them up at their houses while helping them find a house/condo to buy, etc.
And the newbies are so defenseless, as they don't understand the justice system, nor have any friends or contacts, so these scammers get away with it.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I have had more trouble with Gringos than with Dominicanos. Perhaps that is because my Dominican "wife" deals more with the locals and I deal with the foreigners. - D

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have had more trouble with Gringos than with Dominicanos. Perhaps that is because my Dominican "wife" deals more with the locals and I deal with the foreigners. - D
The trick is to surround yourself with good honest gringos.
The rifraf have a hard time ever breaking into that crowd and get sniffed out real quick.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
It's pretty simple really, just ask yourself if this "gringo" you just met is someone you would associate with in your hometown.

If the answer is no, then ask yourself why you are associating with him/her here.

There are plenty of reasons why people leave their home country and realistically it cant always be that they are just too wonderful for their hometown.