Tropical Storm Noel

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thought it deserved its own thread :)

Diario Libre called it "No?" (Spanish for Noah) which is kind of appropriate.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Noah's ark

Thought it deserved its own thread :)

Diario Libre called it "No?" (Spanish for Noah) which is kind of appropriate.
Hope you got your ark built in time, Chiri.
It's even raining cats and dogs on the North coast now, and it looks like there's a lot more to come.

PRIR-1.jpg

sat_ir_enh_east-1.gif

Carib WX - Caribbean Weather Information

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
According to the CNN meteorologists, most of the rain associated with Noel is over the DR. They say we should expect 12" today. The way it has been raining, this won't surprise me.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
MONDAY in Juan Dolio, DR
Monday morning has brought us even more rain and higher intensity winds. School buses were TURNED around WITH kids on them because the situation on the roads is so dangerous from flying objects and severe flooding. The enormous billboard in front of our development was blown over and hit some power lines. Many trees are down. There are stranded cars, trucks and motorcycles everywhere.

This storm seems to have backed up on the DR instead of moving forward. The local radar reports show that we have LOTS more rain coming and even more intense winds. We are well over 12" of rain so far. NO ONE knew this was going to hit us and many of us are a bit upset that there appears to be nothing we can do when a TD gets upgraded ONTOP of us. There was no last minute prep time (fortunately I keep supplies) and outdoor furniture is being thrown about. No one boarded windows...nothing like the prep for Hurricane Dean and Dean wound up being a BUST in terms of wind and flooding (only storm surge); this TS is hitting the DR on all accounts--wind, rain, flooding, and surge.

The power was out a good portion of last night and having the windows open just made our in-house flooding worse. We slept (sort of) with doors, windows and even the cement walls rattling.

SUNDAY

Well, this Tropical Storm sort of surprised us (including me, weather watcher
and disaster prep queen)...The S coast of the DR has been getting pounded by
rain and high winds with gusts and ocassional thunder/lightening. The
prediction is for 8-12 inches of rain from Noel but we've already exceeded 12"
in our area of Juan Dolio.

Our family drove to the Capital (Santo Domingo) today not knowing that TD had
gone to TS Noel. I commented on how turbulent the Caribbean Sea was (major
waves crashing onto the rocks that lined Las America's Hwy.) The Capital was
quite flooded but everyone was going about their business. It was only after
we returned home that I checked the satellite weather and various sites. Sure
enough, the vigorous rain, wind and lightening weren't just run of the mill.

Our chorus of frogs is SOOOO happy, but our cats and golden retriever have had
enough rain and are appearing wonder WHY when we can turn off the lights are we
not able to turn off the rain. Our power, wifi and satellite have been doing
their usual on-off-on-off (especially during shows we want to watch or during
downloads on the computer.) Two storm-related causalties in our house stem from
the flooding water that pours in under our doors, onto the slick tile, and runs
down their stairs. Yesterday I fell very hard on my right buttock, twisted my
left ankle and chipped a tooth; this morning our 12 year old Tristen fell and
really hit his elbow hard (but it's not broken.) It's a bit like tropical ice
skating.

I expect the dirt roads through the batays to be very difficult tomorrow. This
will make for an interesting trip to the clinic (I routinely get stuck in mud
and seemingly bottomless puddles.) We are "scheduled" for more rain this week
so I guess mother nature is trying to catch up on what was a dry early rainy
season.
paz y salud,
Chris

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Raining cats and dogs in Santo Domingo.
Yeah, I stepped outside and noticed I was standing on a poodle.

Heh!

Anyways, this thing seems to be strolling through the island. It's moving painfully slow and I am already sick and tired of all this rain. It's 10:30 AM and it looks like night already.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That's what I need - another coffee. Or maybe something stronger. Rain, rain and more rain, a whining seven-year old and no power do not make for good spirits.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Goddess--ROFLOL (and it's a WET FLOOR). I thought it was hilarious. It's wasn't lame. Much to the dismay of my very wet cats (one is long hair) and soggy golden retriever, we have poodles running everywhere (that would be puddles for those of you not following.) Now we need to come up with a name for poodles running into rivers (maybe retrievers?)

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
kids at home with TS

That's what I need - another coffee. Or maybe something stronger. Rain, rain and more rain, a whining seven-year old and no power do not make for good spirits.

Chirimoya--where are you? I have three boys at home today--ages 9, 12 and 17. Of course there's no tv as well but we do have a fooseball table and lots of games.

Our 17 yr old instigated a read aloud in Spanish marathon at 7:30 AM which lasted until 10:30.

I don't expect our wifi to stay up much longer but then again, I'm surprised it's still up (thanks Arjan & Terry.)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This is why we drive jeeps in the DR :)

Gustavo Mejia Ricart in front or our office at 11am today.

rain_1.jpg

rain_2.jpg

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Now we need to come up with a name for poodles running into rivers (maybe retrievers?)
A poodle in a puddle. Now let's work the word noodle in there somewhere.

Chiri, tell Lucas what I told Nadia: "Soon we'll run out of food and we'll start eating each other, starting for the soft and tender ones. So keep quiet, your whining makes me hungry."

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Well I can give you a noodle in Spanish (sort of)...one time we were stuck with our old jepetta and my dh asked a motoconcho for SOPA to tow the vehicle! I was hysterical (he asked for SOUP--and I said "I sure hope you asked for chicken noodle so we could use the noodles to tow it." It's now a family joke. Poor dh... he's a great sport.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Pib said:
Chiri, tell Lucas what I told Nadia: "Soon we'll run out of food and we'll start eating each other, starting for the soft and tender ones. So keep quiet, your whining makes me hungry."

Heh!

DrChrisHE - we're in sunny Santo Domingo.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
You're not serious...it's sunny? We might as well be in the middle of a hurricane the way the wind/lashing rain and flooding is going here. You didn't like my SOPA story?