First time in the D.R. / Santo Domingo - Suggestions ?

bbd24

Oct 26, 2007
I am taking my cousin down to Santo Domingo for the first time. I've been to the island before about 10 years ago. My cousin hasn't. We are spending almost a week down there ( Sun to Sat ). Any must see things while were there ? Here is what I planned, let me know if I am leaving something out thats been a treat or great time for you all.

1) El Conde - Definitely going down and walking the street and hitting up Mercado Modelo as well.

2) Beaches - I've really only been on the West side of Santo Domingo. San Rafael in Barahona is too far, so we'll probably be hitting up Palenque.

3) Los Tres Ojos/ Columbus Lighthouse - I've never been.

4) Plaza Central - I've only really been to this mall in the capital area. Hopefully its still there, maybe it isn't.

5) Quisqueya Ball Park - My cousins a big baseball fan so were definitely going there to catch at least one game.

6) Discoteca - Gotta hit up the discoteca

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
1) El Conde - Definitely going down and walking the street and hitting up Mercado Modelo as well.

El Conde is very quiet on a Sunday (since most of the shops are closed). Weekday afternoons are good times to go! :)

2) Beaches - I've really only been on the West side of Santo Domingo. San Rafael in Barahona is too far, so we'll probably be hitting up Palenque.

Boca Chica and Juan Dolio are nice places to visit a beach (especially on a weekend). Boca Chica is a 30-minute drive (from Santo Domingo) and Juan Dolio is around a 45-minute drive (from Santo Domingo).

4) Plaza Central - I've only really been to this mall in the capital area. Hopefully its still there, maybe it isn't.

Plaza Central is still there. But from Plaza Central, if you walk only 10 more minutes, you will come to another mall called Acropolis Mall. I posted a thread about this mall somewhere. On the first floor is a restaurant called "Fry and Grill" they make very good food!!! :)

5) Quisqueya Ball Park - My cousins a big baseball fan so were definitely going there to catch at least one game.

A must!!! :bunny:

6) Discoteca - Gotta hit up the discoteca

Another must!!!
:bunny: