is everyone OK?????I hear there is a lot of rain

Sep 19, 2005
Tavina told me that 6 people drowned in La Vega and 12 people died in Banao with the recent downpours.....and her yard is underwater....and she doesnt live any where near a river!!!! it is just ground water that has no place to run off too!!!!!!!!

must be pretty bad over there.

bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No definite count on dead or missing but it is well over a dozen. We'll know more tomorrow as reports drift in from the outlaying and low-laying districts.
Santiago-Tamboril are pretty good. Have heard that there were problems in Moca, Licey al Medio. the other thread tells of the highway to Sto Dgo being cut at several places.
Rains--drizzles--continue at near 7 o'clock.
Thing is we have had a week of rains, so there was no place for this recent stuff to go.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
to my surprise noel features in polish news that quotes 20 dead and 20 missing...

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Tropical Storm Noel batters Dominican Republic: at least eight reported dead

Quote dominican today

Santo Domingo.- At least eight people reported dead, uncalculated damage to farming and many areas without power is the tragic result of Tropical Storm Noel, which has been affecting most of the Dominican Republic since Sunday.

A Naval corporal and his brother were killed in the Santo Domingo neighborhood of La Cienega, when water levels rose in a gully, according to Emergency Operations Center (COE) head, retired General Luis A. Luna Paulino, who also reported the death by drowning of a woman in the central province of Bonao.

In Haina, San Crist?bal province (west of the capital) three people were killed in a landslide, according to the provincial governor. Meanwhile, in the south western province of San Jos? de Ocoa three further deaths have been reported as a result of the heavy rains, said the COE.

A

apostropheman

according to family in Bani there were about 6 people that drowned in that area also.

i really hope the worst is over...this is tragic

Jan 5, 2006
Acording to news reports out of the local NY stations, there are 30 reported deaths in the country and many more missing. Most of those affected are people living in low lying areas in close proximity to rivers and brooks.

I spoke to some family in La Vega this afternoon, and the schools were closed today due to general street flooding in the city. No major damage though in the city itself. In Santiago, I was told that everything was fine in our area.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Many people didn't go to work, many of my patients called my cell phone to cancel appointments. I stayed home. I went out to taco bell to have a quick bite and found the city to be somewhat like sunday, no traffic and many businesses empty or closed.
AZB

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
So how is everyone? Is the rain letting up? I saw on the news here how they were rescuing children from the high water, the news didn't actually say where this was just in the DR. Is it worse closer to the border of Haiti? Or is is everywhere? Regardless of where it is, I hope it lets ups soon and I hope there are not to many casualties.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

dietcokeplease

Nov 1, 2007
Tavina told me that 6 people drowned in La Vega and 12 people died in Banao with the recent downpours.....and her yard is underwater....and she doesnt live any where near a river!!!! it is just ground water that has no place to run off too!!!!!!!!

must be pretty bad over there.

bob

This is true, but in the areas of Sosua, Cabarete, and Puerto Plata, no deaths have happened, that is as far as I know. Possibly expecting hurricanes to come soon. :ermm:

dietcokeplease

Nov 1, 2007
Many people didn't go to work, many of my patients called my cell phone to cancel appointments. I stayed home. I went out to taco bell to have a quick bite and found the city to be somewhat like sunday, no traffic and many businesses empty or closed.
AZB

True. Most schools within the entire DR have been closed, busses refusing to drive to the schools, and most businesses closed. No reason to panic, just flooding and heavy downpour. I post this on Thursday, November 01, and it looks like half the sky may be letting up (in Sosua, that is). :cheeky: