News of damage in Barahona??

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Does anyone have any news of TS Noel damage in Barahona and immediate coastal areas? Bahoruco, San Rafael, etc...

I am trying to contact people there (Bahoruco) and can't get through

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I am also curious what is going on in the southwest. From the media I've seen it seems to be the worst affected area. I am arriving on the Thursday and was planning to spend a week in this area on the 8th.

I hope god is working overtime to help out everyone who has lost their properties or worse.

Feb 15, 2005
I just spoke to someone in Barahona and they have no kind of communication. Powerlines are down and bridges to Azua are flooded. Debris covers the Duarte, banks are closed because there is no power, so that if you have no cash on hand, you have problems.
Verizon's communication post is down and only Orange works. Very few establishmenst have backup power by now.
They have had rain since Saturday evening and althoughit wasn't considered a hurricane this storm lingered in the area for a long time.

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
Looking for my brother

Hi there,

Please keep posting all information you have on the pedernales penisula.

My brother (Jakke de B?lgica) lives in a beach cabana in La Ci?naga and I am pretty worried about him.
I spoke to him on the phone last Sunday and he said that he wasn't going to get shelter in the village, he tought that it wouldn't be necessary. He wasn't going to move his furniture to a house on higher ground either.
Does anyone know if it was predominantly rain that caused the floods, or high seas aswell?
Can someone confirm that there haven't been any mud slides in that area?

I saw the picture of the demolised communication tower of Barahona so he won't be able to contact us himself to let us know he's ok. (He doens't have a pc)
Thanks a lot in advance for all info!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi there,

My brother (Jakke de B?lgica) lives in a beach cabana in La Ci?naga and I am pretty worried about him.
I spoke to him on the phone last Sunday and he said that he wasn't going to get shelter in the village, he tought that it wouldn't be necessary. He wasn't going to move his furniture to a house on higher ground either.
Does anyone know if it was predominantly rain that caused the floods, or high seas aswell?
Can someone confirm that there haven't been any mud slides in that area?

I saw the picture of the demolised communication tower of Barahona so he won't be able to contact us himself to let us know he's ok. (He doens't have a pc)
Thanks a lot in advance for all info!
From what I have seen, high seas were not the problem.
The sea was rough, of course, but the problems stem from the excessive rain, landslides, overflowing rivers. etc.
I'm not saying that you're bro's beach hut is alright, but I am saying that you need not worry that a sunami type wave came up and wiped him out.
This was not that type of storm.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Hi there,

My brother (Jakke de B?lgica) lives in a beach cabana in La Ci?naga and I am pretty worried about him...

La Cienaga didn't suffer any dangerous floods and the sea was not a problem, I'm sure he is ok. I have friends and property in Bahoruco (village right before La Cienaga on the coastal road) and I also haven't been able to communicate but second hand information is that they are all fine and the sea did not present a problem. I hear there was some damage along the San Rafael river and the huts they use for cooking and selling fried fish along the river were swept away, but no one lives there so there were no casualties.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
San Cristobal is mostly discommunicated because most bridges were flooded. the main bridges to the capital and to Madre Vieja are down.

Also Ocoa is discommunicated as well. I have family in Las Auyamas and Altos that are stuck up there. The town has claimed no lights, water and have run out of gas as well.

Is all very sad!

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
La Cienaga didn't suffer any dangerous floods and the sea was not a problem, I'm sure he is ok. I have friends and property in Bahoruco (village right before La Cienaga on the coastal road) and I also haven't been able to communicate but second hand information is that they are all fine and the sea did not present a problem. I hear there was some damage along the San Rafael river and the huts they use for cooking and selling fried fish along the river were swept away, but no one lives there so there were no casualties.

Thank you very much for the information! I'm less worried now.

Any idea if phone communication will be up again any time soon, or will it be weeks or more?

Kind regards,
Katrien

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What's even worse is that these huts were swept away by the sea roughly two months ago during Hurricane Dean and they rebuilt them, now they are gone again.
Now that is sad.
Mother Nature, as wonderful as she can be, can also be cruel at times.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
What's even worse is that these huts were swept away by the sea roughly two months ago during Hurricane Dean and they rebuilt them, now they are gone again.

Yes they sure were..I videotaped the whole thing as it was happening..The 2 swimming pools were knocked out completely...This time it had to be much worse than Dean..Because that hurricane passed to the south of the Island and DID NOT make a direct strike...Los Patos was pretty much wiped out during Dean as the sea entered the river and half the huts that were there got wiped out...I imagine they are totally gone now....

txsmurf

Sep 21, 2007
Talldrink posted that the bridges were flooded out and they are without communication in San Cristobal. Do you know how damaged the homes were in that area. I have friends that live there and in Azua.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Talldrink posted that the bridges were flooded out and they are without communication in San Cristobal. Do you know how damaged the homes were in that area. I have friends that live there and in Azua.

Info on San Cristobal here :
La República - Se mantiene en 85 cifra oficial de muertos por Noel, el 30 % fue en Villa Altagracia

http://elcaribecdn.com/articulo_multimedios.aspx?id=143079&guid=1227AA9F2D704195966AA3C2ADAA70DA&Seccion=63

If you click on the map at this link, it will enlarge & show fatalities & numbers of homes destroyed per location.
Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital

Barahona info here:
Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004

The area most affected was the town of Madre Vieja (Madre Vieja Sur, Las Arecas and by Ole) the river totally overflowed and flooded the entire area all the way to the main River by the campos and close to the beach. The small bridges collapsed and I understand the main one is damaged. Power and water are scarce.

Madre vieja is so segrated is hard to define the help they need. There are alot of squatters near the bridges and many caserios (Think the houses on the hills you see on Highway 27 De Febrero as you approach the capital) these people actually lived downhill towards the river. All those houses were swept away. As you get into the town of Madre Vieja, there are many rich neighborhoods and even some gated communities - I'm sure they are ok there...

I live in Pueblo Nuevo and that area is very high (think Trujillo's castle - is in the mountain top) and so our damage was minimal. Some winds and water got in from sheer volume.

Where do your friends live?