DR1 - Busy Day - Stats!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We had a pretty busy day around here yesterday according to Google.

Over 10,000 unique people visiting over 13,000 times, viewing over 72,000 pages.
On a normal day we average 8,000+ unique people, viewing 50-60,000 pages.

Our stats are independently verified by Google and we make them freely available, unlike many other websites ;)

stats_103007_1.gif

stats_103007_2.gif

Last edited:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I hope I didn't screw your numbers, as I gave the DR1 link on a very popular Linux forum, for a font issue (not directly related to DR1, but rather to a specific distro)...
Anyway, one of those visitors was me, just like everyday :)

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
I hope I didn't screw your numbers, as I gave the DR1 link on a very popular Linux forum, for a font issue (not directly related to DR1, but rather to a specific distro)...
Anyway, one of those visitors was me, just like everyday :)

I'm guilty to. I visited dr 1 also :bunny::bunny::ermm:

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Great News!

Robert the fact that DR1 gets so many visitors is due in part to word is spreading about the DR and the best source of information about it is right here on DR1. :glasses:

I for one continuously tell my friends and collegues about DR1. :bunny:

Keep it good and they'll keep coming and sending others.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Robert the fact that DR1 gets so many visitors is due in part to word is spreading about the DR and the best source of information about it is right here on DR1. :glasses:

Keep it good and they'll keep coming and sending others.
You've touched onto a very interesting point.
I couldn't venture to guess how much DR1 has to do with attracting first time visitors to the DR, but I bet that it plays a big role in making a lot of folks want to come back.

On another note, I would like to offer my congratulations and admiration to Robert & Dolores, all the mods, and those who work silently in the background, making DR1 the incredibly successful site that it is.
I feel very fortunate to have such a resource available to me, at the tip of my fingers.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Maybe the news worldwide that the DR was beaten by an storm and leaved a trail of disaster may have influenced your recent numbers.

Sep 19, 2005
they all wanted to know what I had to say about domestic violence in the DR....................I am sure of it.

Your welcome!!

can I have an extra helping of cranberry sauce????

bad bob

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
they all wanted to know what I had to say about domestic violence in the DR....................I am sure of it.

Your welcome!!

can I have an extra helping of cranberry sauce????

bad bob

You are toooo funny, my friend.;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A dose of reality.

While the numbers are impressive, please folks, lets be a little realistic.

If DR1 was as influential as some people are trying to make it seem, or at least that's how they come through, please take a hard look at the figures because while DR1 is the best Dominican based website in English; its not the New York Times, it doesn't have the influence of the NYT, its not as widely known as the NYT, etc... yet.

Over 4 million tourists visited the country last year.

There are tens of millions of people across the world that have an interest in all things or some things Dominican. For certain, many millions have access to a computer and the internet.

My point?

Until DR1 figures are not in the millions, or at least in the six figure category; we have to come to the conclusion that while this may be an important internet site for all things Dominican; its not THAT influential or well known or important in the greater schemes of Dominican things.

Again, compared to the competition, yes DR1 is a force to be reckon with; but in the greater scheme of things it still has a long way to go.

Think about it.

What percentage of tourists, Dominican expatriate, wannabe Dominicans, Dominicans living in the DR, expatriates living in the DR, etc. actually know of DR1? It must be less than 1% in almost all of those cases. Much less actually visits DR1, that's for sure.

Of Dominican expatriate, again a tiny percentage knows of DR1.

Its fact.

Since I'm a positive guy, I'll finish with this:

DR1 has TREMENDOUS potential and as the leader in Dominican websites in English, the sky is limit for this enterprise. But, lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet.

-NALs :classic:

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Nals

You sure can say a lot of words without saying anything of any value, not to mention your out of whack statistics that you invent yourself.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
While the numbers are impressive, please folks, lets be a little realistic.

If DR1 was as influential as some people are trying to make it seem...

Can we use the amount of lawsuits or people threatening to take legal action against us as a gauge? hehehe

DR1 is the best Dominican based website in English; its not the New York Times, it doesn't have the influence of the NYT, its not as widely known as the NYT, etc... yet.

NALs, I think that's pretty obvious. Their audience is a little broader than ours.

But...

A web site that sells blue widgets and has 100 visitors a day can be very influential in it's niche market, more so than the NYT. If 50% of it's audience take action due to something they say or recommend, then it's much more influential on it's target market than the NYT.

Until DR1 figures are not in the millions, or at least in the six figure category; we have to come to the conclusion that while this may be an important internet site for all things Dominican; its not THAT influential or well known or important in the greater schemes of Dominican things.

We are never going to have numbers in the millions, unless we are talking about "HITS" (How Idiots Track Success). Then yes, we have millions per month.

The market is only so large and the audience in our niche so big.
While our visitor numbers and advertising revenue continue to rise, I'm not going to loose any sleep :)

What percentage of tourists, Dominican expatriate, wannabe Dominicans, Dominicans living in the DR, expatriates living in the DR, etc. actually know of DR1? It must be less than 1% in almost all of those cases. Much less actually visits DR1, that's for sure.

If I said that DR1 was one of the top 5 brands relating to tourism in the DR, would you believe me?

NAL's I'll leave you with that little snippet and let you work out how that could be ;)

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
..........Duh!

Just mentioned the fact as you failed to do while celebrating the achievement in your first post. While with this im not trying to downgrade DR1, I find it very interesting, but some people over here could use better attitude.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If DR1 was as influential as some people are trying to make it seem, or at least that's how they come through, please take a hard look at the figures because while DR1 is the best Dominican based website in English; its not the New York Times, it doesn't have the influence of the NYT, its not as widely known as the NYT, etc... yet.:classic:

Yeah sure. And the DR is not New York either. Go figure.
Your 'dose of reality' is like ... well, I cannot say it. But I have a very clear idea in my mind and it has a lot to do with weewee.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Just mentioned the fact as you failed to do while celebrating the achievement in your first post. While with this im not trying to downgrade DR1, I find it very interesting, but some people over here could use better attitude.

Wasn't it obvious? Hence my line about "On a normal day..." :)

I'm not celebrating an achievement, I was letting the board know due to the recent weather we had an increase in traffic. If you look back through history, I often post DR1 stats on the board, sometimes due to external events, other times because I have nothing else better to do :)

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Wasn't it obvious? Hence my line about "On a normal day..." :)

I'm not celebrating an achievement, I was letting the board know due to the recent weather we had an increase in traffic. If you look back through history, I often post DR1 stats on the board, sometimes due to external events, other times because I have nothing else better to do :)

Not that I find anything wrong with that, this site is very helpful and with the years it will receive a lot more visitors, maybe I didnt get your sarcarsm and wanted to state the obvious. Shame on me:):D

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Robert said:
NALs, I think that's pretty obvious. Their [New York Times] audience is a little broader than ours.
Of course it is and that's my point.

DR1 should expand into other lucrative niche markets that are still under utilized by other firms. Take, for example, a Spanish based version of DR1 or something along those lines.

Yes, I remember what you told me in a PM a while ago when I first suggested such, but there is so much potential to truly benefit from a few lucrative niche markets that DR1 could easily dominate; given the relative lack of a DR1 type of website in Spanish and the relatively large number of Spanish speaking current DR1 members, who can be of good use when it comes to advertising such through word of mouth. There are some, but they don't compare in anyway to this website.

The potential of becoming influential well beyond the current niche being served is there and that's my point.

Robert said:
We are never going to have numbers in the millions, unless we are talking about "HITS" (How Idiots Track Success). Then yes, we have millions per month.

The market is only so large and the audience in our niche so big.
While our visitor numbers and advertising revenue continue to rise, I'm not going to loose any sleep :)
You could, if effectively enter other niche markets that are in need of a DR1 type of website, but are currently either not being offered such or whatever is being offered is inherently inferior to the potential superior service a DR1 in Spanish could offer.

Yes, the current niche market DR1 targets is only "so big" and for the English version of DR1, it will always be somewhat "so big"; but add to that other similar but under served niche markets and the "so big" market could easily double, perhaps even more.

-NALs

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
NAL's, your not going to see a Spanish version anytime soon, it's not our market. Plus generating revenue from a Spanish speaking market is no easy task :)

New products, countries etc, that's a distinct possibility.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Way I See It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a web site that features "Beefstew", and 1,000,000 vegetarians "Hit" your site,"So What"?????

If that same website gets visited by 10,000 "Carnivors", I'll take those 10,000 "Meatlovers" anyday!!!

Sooooooooooooooooo,for all of you who think that the "Large Numbers" tell the story, THEY DON"T"!
As in any business,it's the "Demographics" of your "Customers" that are inportant!

DR1 gets visited by thousands people daily who have a strong interest in the DR. The people who live here,have family here,visit here, buy homes here, and more!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC