Inverter problem-this is for Rocky

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
Today something very strange happened. Suddenly the power went and I was sitting in the dark, my first thought was that the inverter did'nt jump in.When I went to the kitchen to check the braker i have for either..inverter+ edenorte or just edenorte power, it was set to inverter+edenorte.The strange thing is that everything which is not connected to the inverter had power, like fridge, water pump, micro wave. It looks like if the inverter went crazy, after changing the breaker to edenorte power only, everything was lit. Later the power went off, but the inverter did'nt jump in, I checked the batteries and they are fully charged as the power didn't go off all day.
Did this ever happen to somebody? What could be wrong?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Is it a Trace/Xantrex?
Are the lights on the inverter, on as they normally are? (small green or orange LED's right on the inverter)
Is there a breaker right on the inverter, and if so, could you try resetting it.
On a Trace, the breakers are at the opposite end on the unit, to the battery terminals, and you just press the breaker switch back in.
There is a chance, of course, that the unit is damaged, maybe even from the excessive humidity as of late, but let's see first if we can figure it out from here.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Relais points burnt?

Sometimes the switch over relais give in.
I had to replace mine twice (in ten years though).

Janin

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sometimes the switch over relais give in.
I had to replace mine twice (in ten years though).

Janin
Yes, the relay can burn out, but this is not the case in this instance.
The OP mentioned that even when there is city power, the unit is not allowing the AC through (See OP), so it would not be the sitchover relay, buit it could be the main breaker on the unit, as that would stop power from exiting the unit, whether there was city power or not.

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
Good morning.
Last night the power went, th einverter didn't jump in thats why i couldn't post earlier.
This morning i went to check, no light at all on the inverter, i pressed the little black button in front, the green light came on which means it is charged i gues, at no with the city light it seems ok, lets wait until the city power goes to see if the inverter jumps in.
Thanks for your help.
BTW, it is a Trace

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Good morning.
Last night the power went, th einverter didn't jump in thats why i couldn't post earlier.
This morning i went to check, no light at all on the inverter, i pressed the little black button in front, the green light came on which means it is charged i gues, at no with the city light it seems ok, lets wait until the city power goes to see if the inverter jumps in.
Thanks for your help.
BTW, it is a Trace
Sounding good so far.
If you have a "machete" breaker that cuts off city power to the unit, you could test it right now, rather than find out when the power goes out.
If it works, it may have been a simple case of the unit turning itself off, and needed to be turned back on, as you did this AM.
It's been known to happen, specially in these humid conditions.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky, city power just went and the inverter started perfectly, lets hope everyting is ok, thanks a lot for your help.
De nada.
I suspect that you have nothing to worry about.
It's not all that uncommon for a unit to turn itself off like that, and that there's nothing wrong with it.
Glad it worked out for you.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Be "Glade" Your Unit Has That "Circuit Braker"!!!

Be VERY VERY Glad!!

It has saved my A$$ on more that one occasion! Usually due to an "Alto Voltaje",or "power Surge"!
Like you,I thought my "Inversor" was toasted. When I pushed the button,just to see what would happen, everything was back to normal!
CCCC

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Be VERY VERY Glad!!

It has saved my A$$ on more that one occasion! Usually due to an "Alto Voltaje",or "power Surge"!
Like you,I thought my "Inversor" was toasted. When I pushed the button,just to see what would happen, everything was back to normal!
CCCC
Yup.
Those Traces are pretty tough.
They don't call them the DR series for nothing.