PUCMM Med School

LlagunoL

Oct 31, 2007
Alright so i'm an american student currently a freshman enrolled in college. I am planning to go to med school as of now am considering going to PUCMM yet planing to pratice medcine in the US. If I apply do their med school what due they consider in the application and will my credits let say after I graduate be accepted by PUCMM.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
OKAY. Let?s try this:
1) if you plan on going to PUCMM Med School in Santiago, you MUST be proficient in Spanish. I mean know it well.
2) If you are currently enrolled in college, take all of the basic science courses: biology etc such as a pre-med would take.
3) Upon completion of two years of such study, you can apply as a transfer student. It is a little complicated but doable. We can tackle that as it comes up.
4) Your good grades are transferable to the PUCMM.
5) You will have to pass the boards in order for you to get a residency in the states, but that is normal and you?d have to do that if you graduated from Harvard, too.

What else do you need to know.

HB

LlagunoL

Oct 31, 2007
Okay so if I transfer over will I be transferring as a undergrad or would I be accepted directly into the med school. Because I was planning on graduationg in the states reciving an undergrad or is their an advantage of transferng midway through my college career.

How well would I need to know spanish because I can understand and speak it but when it comes to writing it I'm a mess but I'm planning to minor in spanish so Ill be touching up on my spanish.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Ok I have to ask the obvious question.

You want to return to the US to practice. Why not go to a US medical school? REgardless of what anyone tells you your education will also be much better. Getting into a residency will be MUCH easier as a US graduate as well. If it is purely a cost issue apply to the state school where you live. I speak from experience having tauht at a major US medical shcool for 15 years and having sat on many residency review and application boards.

Bob K

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My colleague is correct. IF you can cut it.
The advantage of going to a foreign medical school is time and money (at least at PUCMM) You save two or more years. It cost less than $5000 a semester. And you graduate within a known time frame.
However the PUCMM does not recruit non-Spanish speakers and does not coddle anyone.

What BobK was referring to is the fact that there is an obvious bias again foreign medical graduates when it comes to obtaining residencies. This can be seen in statistics on the internet.
However, you can do it if you are a good student. Research this well and you will see.

Visit the PUCMM in Santiago and talk to the faculty and student and get their feedback, too. Makes sense to get your ducks in a row.
HB

misslola

Aug 10, 2009
Im an american and i want to attend PUCMM's med school, but if i go i would like to continue my career over there, is that a good idea??

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
IF you read, speak and write in good Spanish, and are really dedicated to being a doctor, yes, you can do it. It is not easy.

One of the basic requirements is what is called here "la especialidad" which really means a residency program somewhere. This is something all medical school graduates have to face if they want to get ahead in life.

Look into it.

HB

PS. Please read what I have written above...even two years ago, this was right on.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Also in Santo Domingo ...

Besides that med school you mention in Santiago, there is also a good med school in Santo Domingo (another option) that a lot of American students attend. The school is called UNIBE. They give medschool classes in both Spanish and English just a thought; The english classes are occupied by about 85% American students, and 15% from other places in the world.

Their website is: UNIBE :: Universidad Iberoamericana

On their website, they have an english and spanish version, photos of campus, information of the university including requirements and costs, which I also believe is about $5,000 US. By the way they are accredited in 48 of the 50 states in the U.S. as another poster noted you would still have to pass the boards. One of the states not accredited is California (interestingly enough although this is true I have met many students there from California, go figure), the other one is also on the west coast but I can't remember which one.

Check it out. They also have a good reputation. Good luck in your future endeavors.

JP21

Jun 20, 2012
Hi All
I have a couple of questions. I'm thinking about studying medicine in DR. I'm interested to PUCMM and I want to start in January 2012. I'm 29 year old and I don't speak spanish but a few English, sometimes I think I'm too old for Medical school. cause it take too long 5.5 so I will have almost 36. But despite everything I don't want abandon my DREAMS. Basically, I'd really appreciate some unbiased advice. Thanks.

JP

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Hi All
I have a couple of questions. I'm thinking about studying medicine in DR. I'm interested to PUCMM and I want to start in January 2012. I'm 29 year old and I don't speak spanish but a few English, sometimes I think I'm too old for Medical school. cause it take too long 5.5 so I will have almost 36. But despite everything I don't want abandon my DREAMS. Basically, I'd really appreciate some unbiased advice. Thanks.

JP

If you dont speak Spanish then your going to waist your time and money by attending a school that will teach you in Spanish. If you are really interested in medicine, study in an English school; if it is the cost that lures you to DR, I would suggest you take a student load to go to med school. There is my unbiased advice.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
If you dont speak Spanish then your going to waist your time and money by attending a school that will teach you in Spanish. If you are really interested in medicine, study in an English school; if it is the cost that lures you to DR, I would suggest you take a student load to go to med school. There is my unbiased advice.

More like a dream crusher with iron knuckles!

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Out of curiosity, does the average Dominican give much thought to the college the doctor got his PhD from?

For example, if they had to choose between a doctor that went to PUCMM (considered and excellent school in the DR) and a regular US-based school, which would they prefer?

USAF GI

Oct 29, 2010
UNIBE price is $7,000 my daughter toured campus 19 June Tuesday. PUCMM is a great university but is a Spanish speaking school and Hillbilly stated they don?t play. Both are good options just need to find what best option for you is. My daughter reads write and speaks Spanish (Dominican Mother) and she studied in Santiago as a child. And she still hasn?t made up her mind yet. Teenagers??

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You do not get a PhD...you get an MD.

Some people do care where the doctors got their degrees.

More important is what residency and where they did it!

HB

US$7000 a what? Year? Semester? That is about seven semesters worth of tuition at PUCMM for a Dominican...and some left over!!