Expats in D.R. - How are you coping with Noel?

Alexandra Palace

Oct 15, 2007
This is a journalistic inquiry for Dominican Today. As a Canadian living in the D.R., I'm interested in how other expats are dealing with Noel. How has the storm affected your area and your routine? What are the relief efforts like in your area? If you've lived in the D.R. for more than one hurricane season, how does this storm compare with others you've experienced?

All contributions are appreciated; if you wouldn't mind talking over the phone, PM me your contact info.

Thanks,

~Alexandra Pope

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here in Santiago I am fortunate to say that the only real inconvenience was the power was off a copule of hours more than usual and my daughter missed two days of school. In fact I went to the gym Mon. night and did the usual shopping and ordered out for Italian food and Tuesday went out to a local bar with some buddies for a great Italian sandwhich, cold beers and some Jazz with a Principe cigar to top it off.

I do understand some of the poorer communities with their homes in the flood plain had it a lot worse though.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This was a minor storm, as storms this time of year go, except for the rain.

What was serious about Noel was the rain, not the wind. If you lived in a low lying area near a river or community with poor drainage, you walked through water.

But the storms with hurricane force winds plus the rain are much worse, and the DR has experienced a number of them.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I am pretty sure that the ex-pats are doing fine. After all they live in nice compounds or apts etc....have generators etc.

personaly i would like to know which areas, town, or campos got hit hardest with the flooding as i have a friend in andreas.

the friends that i have heard from said it was more of a major rain storm rather than a hurricane (minus the winds).

am i the only one who finds the OP sorta cold...only asking about expats?

N

naturelover

no just picking holes in things the way gold members do

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
am i the only one who finds the OP sorta cold...only asking about expats?

Not cold so much as irrelevant, really, given the wider picture, which is why I only gave brief response. But she was obviously trying to get info for an article and she is new to DR so I guess the wider sensitivities take a while to develop...............

Sorry I can't help with first hand knowledge about your location query but it certainly isn't one of the worst hit places.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I don't find the post cold, warm, or anything, other than a specialized question.
I would offer a response, if these storms/hurricanes had any effect on me/us, but Sosua is so sheltered from them, as compared to the rest of the country, that they have little effect on me/us, other than not liking extended periods of rain and missing my precious sunshine.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
A little background about her sensistivities

Not cold so much as irrelevant, really, given the wider picture, which is why I only gave brief response. But she was obviously trying to get info for an article and she is new to DR so I guess the wider sensitivities take a while to develop...............

Sorry I can't help with first hand knowledge about your location query but it certainly isn't one of the worst hit places.

Several weeks back I posted about a proposed trip to Casa Rosada (Children's home) in SD and inquired if anyone was interested and I would pick them up. OP was one of several people that responed and in fact she joined me on a visit to the nuns.

Alexandra came back to the DR 2 months ago on a 6 month assignment, fully prepared with a gift of approx. 50 pices of brand new, tags on, clothes for the kids. A fantastic gift that was given with her heart.

She' a very quiet girl and perhaps doesn't wish to respond, but I give a great big vote of THANKS FOR YOUR CONCERN for the children of Casa Rosada.
\
JOHN

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Everything is fine in Las Terrenas. The sun is shining again. Things are back to normal.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I really wasnt trying to be a fart-in-a-box when i questioned the OP. i just found the query a little bit odd is all. After all..it was not a major hurricane but rather a suprise tropical storm.

Personaly, I'd rather hear about travelers experiences durring such a storm...or from local people, as I assume that most ex-pats are living rather well and weather (nice pun eh?) storms like this fairly well.

well..noel has reached the NYC area this morning...so back off to bed for me!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I hope someone did contact this poster to help with her research.

I would guess she mentioned expats because of the nature of the DR1 forums, and would have targeted other affected groups in other ways.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I hope someone did contact this poster to help with her research.

I would guess she mentioned expats because of the nature of the DR1 forums, and would have targeted other affected groups in other ways.
I did not, but nothing happened here to affect us.