cheap hotel...

BrandonD66

Oct 29, 2007
I'm traveling from nov.21-25th and i have a hotel booked but it's so expensive right now and i need to find cheaper hotels....please help... i need cheap one's fast.

A

apostropheman

no problem, part of the learning curve :)

how cheap is cheap?

Hotel Ambar [SIZE=-1](809) 575-1957[/SIZE] and Hotel Don Diego are 2 options. they used to be between $15 and $30 a night but have likely increased since then.
They are low budget hotels and are centrally located on Avenida Estrella Sadhala. They're not new or that well kept and aren't in the best of shape. They are centrally located 5 blocks form the Pista Balaguer near the rotunda.

perhaps someone from Santiago can fill i the blanks re:
confirming current rates, phone numbers and offering directions.

also

COLONIAL DE LUXE, C. POR A.
Salvador Cucururrullo Nos. 113-115
Santiago, Rep. Dom.
(809)247-3122

price around 500 or so pesos a night with A/C
not the best place but not bad for a night or 3.

most taxi drivers should know it.

i bet there are other decent options also as Santiago is a big and thriving city. AZB? any suggestions? :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Send a PM to hillbilly. He has some decent rooms / apartments for rent from time to time. Its a key area in santiago, safe and respectable. Talking to hillbilly alone is worth the price of the rent. He will guide you towards the right direction and you will feel right at home in his company.
AZB

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I would be careful with this.

I wouldn't be a cheapskate about accommodations in Santiago, unless you are used to slumming hardcore. I went all over Santiago and La Vega looking for somewhere to stay once and even one of the better recommended hotels in Santiago was not to my liking.

The name escapes me but I thought that if some of the people on DR1 could recommend this dump with a straight face they either enjoy Bowery-style living conditions or they are on drugs.

Pay the money and stay somewhere nice. If you can't afford it maybe you shouldn't be traveling.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I would be careful with this.

I wouldn't be a cheapskate about accommodations in Santiago, unless you are used to slumming hardcore. I went all over Santiago and La Vega looking for somewhere to stay once and even one of the better recommended hotels in Santiago was not to my liking.

The name escapes me but I thought that if some of the people on DR1 could recommend this dump with a straight face they either enjoy Bowery-style living conditions or they are on drugs.

Pay the money and stay somewhere nice. If you can't afford it maybe you shouldn't be traveling.

You are referring to Hotel Colonial. Its a dump. I know a few DR1ers stayed there but soon left for a better hotels, often the same day.
AZB

AZB

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
You are referring to Hotel Colonial. Its a dump. I know a few DR1ers stayed there but soon left for a better hotels, often the same day.
AZB

AZB

If you arrive STI on the late flight and go to spend the night in this hotel be careful with the security gay . He request cash payment & charge a lot more for the room.
JJ.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Yep...AZB was recently discussing this new DR Sanky concept called the security "gay".....

Jacobb

Jul 30, 2005
I have stayed in the hotel rotunda and paid 800 pesos for a 3 bed room with AC. It wasn't a bad place. It had gated parking. I wouldn't leave any valuables out but it was good. I stayed for 3 days.

lizkland

Jan 4, 2008
Where is Hotel La Rotonda? Is it close to El Monumento? I am looking for a cheap place to stay as well for 2 nights. Does anyone have the address and/or phone number for this place?

Moose93

Feb 27, 2008
Hotel Century Plaza is very good for the price. It will run you about $65 to $85 us dollars.

Which in my opinion is very good, while there are cheaper alternatives you wont have to sacrifice any comfort and still maintain some respectability there, and at the same time wont get your pockets hammered like if you were staying in a place like in El Gran Almirante.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
AZB

AZB

For 15$ a night you get what you pay for. I have stayed there a few times (even with my kids).

I have stayed in worse. It's not as bad as a "dump" in India or Vietnam.

Berzin, some people travel frugally to be able to travel more often and for longer periods. "Backpacking" might not be your bag but millions of people around the world choose to do it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FOR lizkland

Sorry to say that La Retonda is about as far away as you can get from the Monument and still be in Santiago. I think for you needs, depending on just how close you want to be to the Monument, you can choose between the Aparta Hote that is on Calle Vicente Estrella, about two blocks from the Monument or the Hotel Colonial which is on Salvador Cucurrullo near 30 de Marzo. Both are safe and cheap, as cheap goes these days.

HB

lizkland

Jan 4, 2008
Thanks for your help. I have booked a room at Hotel Colonial and a guy there speaks VERY good english. He was very helpful in answering any questions I had.

R

rockero

Is it 300 0r 350 and any good info since the peso up to 37 will that help to knock it to 9 and under more or less??? Keep us updated on this if you can.
I've stayed in September for a month at the Hotel La Rotonda in Santiago, it's okay and only paid RD300 per night let's say $10