Anyone know of an english bookstore? With recent books, not just stuff from 1970?

dietcokeplease

Nov 1, 2007
Hey, I've lived in the DR for over two years now, and cannot, for the life of me, find an english bookstore! I did, however come accross one in Santiago, but found it had outdated books, and nothing that I would ever by, or that I didn't already own. Shipping books is WAY expensive, and E-books, too much of a hassle (you have to sit at your computer all day). Can anyone help? :surprised
Much thanks,
Dietcokeplease

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
- I believe there is a second hand bookshop in the Cabarete area, two not so great options (Cuesta and Thesaurus) and a reasonably good one - New Horizons on Ave. Sarasota in Santo Domingo. The Helen Kellogg Library (Ave Independencia, SD) monthly booksale (first Saturday morning of the month) is hit and miss but if they've had some good donations as they have recently, you can find lots of recent books of all types for a bargain 20 pesos. I know this is not ideal for a north coast dweller, but if you make occasional visits to the capital try to time it with the booksale and a visit to New Horizons. :)

dietcokeplease

Nov 1, 2007
- I believe there is a second hand bookshop in the Cabarete area, two not so great options (Cuesta and Thesaurus) and a reasonably good one - New Horizons on Ave. Sarasota in Santo Domingo. The Helen Kellogg Library (Ave Independencia, SD) monthly booksale (first Saturday morning of the month) is hit and miss but if they've had some good donations as they have recently, you can find lots of recent books of all types for a bargain 20 pesos. I know this is not ideal for a north coast dweller, but if you make occasional visits to the capital try to time it with the booksale and a visit to New Horizons. :)

Thank you so much! That is very useful info, seeing as we have friends in SD. Thank you again,
Dietcokeplease ;)

tjmccloud

Nov 1, 2007
bills books in Cabarete is a great paperback place- cheap and great used selection, for the island. They have funny hours that I cant remember, but are located on the north (beach) side of the street, just east of the city, in a hotelish like place that has tan walls. I live in Rio San Juan and they are the only thing Ive found on the north coast.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
There have been a few other threads with this question lately...

This is not a book store per say...more of a "library"-type concept.

In Costambar...on the main road left hand side just down from the colmado.

You enter, what I believe, is the Costambar security building, (it is the first "office" in a series of ones, which include a pharmacie). Just walk through the building to the back room.

There are quite a few books, all done up in alphabetical order. The idea is to bring some of your own ones and leave them off in exchange for some of the ones there. They are mostly in English, but there is a small section of German books as well.

You don't have to pay, you can keep them as long as you like, and last I went, was a GREAT selection.

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Calle El Conde

I've been there..magazines and books in front but if you ask for books in English they'll walk you around the back...200 pesos/used paperbacks..that's the price he gave me

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Regarding alicious post;

There have been a few other threads with this question lately...

This is not a book store per say...more of a "library"-type concept.

In Costambar...on the main road left hand side just down from the colmado.

You enter, what I believe, is the Costambar security building, (it is the first "office" in a series of ones, which include a pharmacie). Just walk through the building to the back room.

There are quite a few books, all done up in alphabetical order. The idea is to bring some of your own ones and leave them off in exchange for some of the ones there. They are mostly in English, but there is a small section of German books as well.

You don't have to pay, you can keep them as long as you like, and last I went, was a GREAT selection.

My wife and I found the library in Costamber today. Just past the entrance to Costamber you will see Rey's Supermarket on your left. Across the street you will seee the build alicons refers to. Walk into the building under the yellow sign that read "Mantenece office". The door is recessed and if all of the doors are open you will see the library at the end of the hall. There is a German, French section and a larger English one. Not sure of the hours.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Sorry, in my previous post I said "Rey's Supermarket is on your left" It is actually on your right as you come into Costamber, sorry. Phil