foods we can bring w/us

Paige's mom

Nov 1, 2007
Can anyone tell me what we can pack in our luggage and bring w/us to the D.R.? We are thinking of packing coffee, granola bars, crackers, pretzels, etc. thank you.

Curt Erickson

DR1 Real Estate
Sep 11, 2007
Can anyone tell me what we can pack in our luggage and bring w/us to the D.R.? We are thinking of packing coffee, granola bars, crackers, pretzels, etc. thank you.
I think you can bring them all if they are sealed, but I do wonder about the coffee.
Santo Domingo coffee is world class and a lot cheaper than good coffee elsewhere.
Is there a reason you want to bring some?

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com

You're going to the place that makes the best coffee in the world imo and you want to take coffee?

I do it the other way around I always take coffee home from DR when we come!!

Paige's mom

Nov 1, 2007
Well - I'm not the coffee drinker (nor is my husband) in the group - but the rest of the group wants to make sure that they have their coffee......we're hoping to get to a grocery store - but we weren't sure how 'expensive' items might be there.....

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Well - I'm not the coffee drinker (nor is my husband) in the group - but the rest of the group wants to make sure that they have their coffee......we're hoping to get to a grocery store - but we weren't sure how 'expensive' items might be there.....

Coffee is certainly not expensive - I would definitely not talk coffee to DR, if I was Dominican I would be insulted :). To be perfectly honest if you're going to a grecery store when you get there I wouldn't take any of those things! - you will find everything you need there and its no more expensive than US (if that's where you're coming from)

Paige's mom

Nov 1, 2007
OK - well, none of us know - and I know that when we were in Aruba - items in the grocery store were VERY expensive.....and yes, we are coming from the US. Thanks so much for the input - anything else you can tell me????

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
OK - well, none of us know - and I know that when we were in Aruba - items in the grocery store were VERY expensive.....and yes, we are coming from the US. Thanks so much for the input - anything else you can tell me????
The expensive items would be more in the cosmetic line, for good brand names, as well as suntan lotion, toothpaste, etc.

Paige's mom

Nov 1, 2007
We'll make sure we pack that stuff - and enough of it to get us thru the week.....again, thank you so much for you help/input - as none of us have ever been here before and we aren't staying at all-inclusive resort......which means we will have to go for groceries to stock up the kitchen.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We'll make sure we pack that stuff - and enough of it to get us thru the week.....again, thank you so much for you help/input - as none of us have ever been here before and we aren't staying at all-inclusive resort......which means we will have to go for groceries to stock up the kitchen.
You're going to have a blast.
What part of the country are you going to?

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com

What do you want to know - anything you want or need to know about DR can be answered by someone on here. Just ask or do a search to see if your questions been answered previously. When are you going and where are going to? :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What they are telling you is true, and not true. Coffee is very good and actually a little cheaper than the US, Crackers of various sorts are cheaper, but if you are after a certain brand, like Ritz for example, they are a little cheaper in the states. Dominican candy is good, and junk food is comparable in price.

Paige's mom

Nov 1, 2007
We are leaving on Nov 10 and going to be staying at a house at the Casa de Campo resort.....5 couples total are going.....

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
We are leaving on Nov 10 and going to be staying at a house at the Casa de Campo resort.....5 couples total are going.....

Well have a great time - if you've never been to DR before I'm sure you'll fall in love with it! - I did the first time I went and have just fallen more and more in love with it everytime I've been back. I really don't think you'll need to take food with you, the last few times we've gone self catering and its been great. Let us know how you get on. I love the coffee so much that if I run out here in the UK I have actually found a supplier in York that sells Dominican Coffee - look for the Santo Domingo coffee in the white packets - its the best I've ever tasted! ;)

Paige's mom

Nov 1, 2007
Well - I guess we are just worried when and if we can get to the grocery store.....and just thought we would have some 'snacky' stuff around to hold us over. From what I'm gathering - groceries aren't that expensive - but we've been told that the restaurants are....

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Well - I guess we are just worried when and if we can get to the grocery store.....and just thought we would have some 'snacky' stuff around to hold us over. From what I'm gathering - groceries aren't that expensive - but we've been told that the restaurants are....

I think that depends what you mean by expensive and what sort of restaurants you go to. If you go to the restaurants aimed more at tourist then yes as anywhere they will be more expensive than if you go to the ones where locals would eat - and they I think are the better ones, if you want to eat proper Dominican food. As anywhere, it depends what you're looking for there is cheap and there is expensive ;)

I don't know the area you're going to at all so can't comment on what's around there int he way of restaurants & supermarkets.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Nothing wrong with bringing your favorite snacky stuff.
We were just mentioning that the coffee here is great and inexpensive.

Paige's mom

Nov 1, 2007
I'll be sure to pass all this info onto the group - and let them know that the best coffee in the world is yet to come!!! :)

Paige's mom

Nov 1, 2007
To be honest - we are being told by others not to leave the gated community of the resort once we arrive, so not too sure if we will be adventurous enough to go out and find the restaurants that the locals go to......it's funny, my husband and I have traveled to Guadeloupe (French Island) twice - on our own- and never hesitated to go out exploring and checking things out....but we've heard so many stories about D.R. and people getting mugged/robbed - that we are all a bit hesitant to leave the property once we get there.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
To be honest - we are being told by others not to leave the gated community of the resort once we arrive, so not too sure if we will be adventurous enough to go out and find the restaurants that the locals go to......it's funny, my husband and I have traveled to Guadeloupe (French Island) twice - on our own- and never hesitated to go out exploring and checking things out....but we've heard so many stories about D.R. and people getting mugged/robbed - that we are all a bit hesitant to leave the property once we get there.
The same might apply to where you live.
If you never leave the house or it's grounds, you are much less likely to ever get mugged.