ADHD in the DR?!

tjmccloud

Nov 1, 2007
hi guys-
I'm living in Rio San Juan (north coast) and have pretty much gone without my ADHD meds (ritalin, concerta, or adderall) for the last year while Ive been here. Its a real hassle to try and do it through my doc in the states, so Im trying to find a doctor who has experience with prescribing for ADHD. Any suggestions?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So, how have you been without the meds. My son who hated taking meds now takes fish oil, and evening primrose oil and says it works as well as ritalin. He is now 22, and working full time as a carpenter.

tjmccloud

Nov 1, 2007
at first, its fine. But over time, mountains of little things, unrealized intentions, etc. start to steal the joy again. the meds help me establish ( or reestablish) the order -internally and externally-that I cant ever seem to keep without it. I have not, however tried fishoil or evening primrose oil. Ill check it out- but I'm still on the hunt for some ritalin! thanks for the response.

gbarcha

Mar 4, 2009
Can ADHD drugs be found in pharmacies in the DR, with prescriptions?

Which pharmacies?

thanks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ADHD is called TDAH in spanish. meds available in DR only by prescription. only in big cities and in very few farmacias.

SDF123

May 19, 2008
TJMCCLOUD!!

I so know what you mean. I have been here 1 year without mine and it is the same. The only med I have been able to find was Concerta and it was 5500 DOP a month. What I did with my Dr. was I got a list of all the drugs to treat ADHD from Web-MD website and took that list to 3 different pharmacies. Found the drugs they had (only Concerta) and then went to the DR and told him to write me a script for it. Hope that helps and if anyone finds anything besides Concerta please post!

Thank you

PS I live in Santo Domingo

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Ritalin and Concerta containt the same active ingredient, Methylphenidate (Metilfenidato in Spanish), one being extended release, the other immediate release. Try to find what your doses are and perhaps you can get a cheaper generic version. As for Adderall, there seem to be generic versions aswell, but it is a mix of amphetamine salts, so I'm not sure that you could find it based on its chemical name. Perhaps someone can name a generic brand. Also keep in mind that brand names can differ by country even if produced by the same company (i.e. Ritalin and Ritalina)

Consulting a Physician paying a small fee, they should be able to give you a prescription for your current doses.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
rubifen may be also sold in DR. again - prescription only.
in SD you should go to farmacias close to hospital, the bigger the better. try to make a deal with pharmacist and you may get a discount when buying more in one go.