Need a reliable translator......

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Here's the problem.....

As some of you may remember PapaTony spent some time in hospital our last trip down. Our provincial health insurance plan will cover some of the cost (approx. 10-15%) however they want a 'certified' translation of the invoices from the original Spanish to English.

These must be filed by the end of this month to be paid!!!

I have already translated them but I can't 'certify' the translation.

I've been unable to find a translator here to 'certify'unless I want to go to Toronto and pay 55-75 cents a word (I've got about 15 pages of line items) which would cost more than 100% of the invoices.

We're arriving in the DR on the 15th Nov.

Does anyone know of a reliable translator who charges reasonable fees in San Pedro or Santo Domingo who would be able to 'certify' these in time for me to FEDEX them back to Canada for my son to submit???

(I know, I know - why am I waiting until now to do this?? Thought I had it covered but got back from our trip to Europe to find no translation and no replies to my emails).

Thanks for all assistance..........

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Attar, Ms. Elizabeth
Salaried Employee
(Freelance)

Certified Translator
Spanish to English

Senior federal government translator experienced in Spanish-English translation of immigration documents and texts on international affairs, medicine and commerce.

Specializations
Areas of Work
Health & Social Services
International Affairs

Business Home
22 Chanonhouse Drive P.O. Box 128
Richmond ON K0A 2Z0
Canada

Email: rehattar@sympatico.ca
Phone: (613) 838-7855
Fax: (613) 838-7856

I don't know who you contacted but normally translation cost approximate 30 cents per words, and many will give you a quote. Have you asked if they need a certified translation from Canada. The Ontario teacher federation will not accept anything less.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Another one for you to try

Dominguez, Ms. Tammy
Salaried Employee
(Freelance)

Certified Translator
Spanish to English

Salaried Diplomatic Translator and Freelance Translator specializing in immigration documents and medical, education, travel and tourism, international affairs, and general translation.

Specializations
Areas of Work
General Translation
International Affairs

Business
Embassy of Mexico in Canada
Email: tdominguez@embamexcan.com
Home
2840 Baycrest Drive 305
Ottawa ON K1V 7P8
Canada

Email: domingueztammy@yahoo.com
Phone: (613) 247-1647

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
According to the OHIP office.....

any certified translation will do. I even asked what qualifications the 'certifier' needed and was told whatever 'qualification' enabled the person to 'certify" (how's that for being clear????). Isn't gov't wonderful??:ermm:

Anyone I've contacted here in Ontario that is definitely 'certifiable' for medical records/invoices has quoted from 55-75 cents per word.
Which means it would cost 10x more to place the claim than the reimbursement expected from OHIP. So much for our "insurance' plan!:tired:

Thanks for the leads.....I'll email in the morning for a quote, however since OHIP did say I could have the translation done in the DR I think that might be the only route that would make a claim worthwhile filing. I'd hoped to get back around half the fare for one person......;)

Note: back in 1984 I had education certificates from Italy translated for school purposes at the Ministry of Education at NO cost. Apparently OHIP used to do translations also however that service has been discontinued (no doubt a cost saving measure-in more ways than one! Not only do they save the cost of having translators on staff they also have less claims......due to the cost of translations!)

Last edited:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
MommC,
One of my business partners is an attorney/certified translator.
He's located in Santo Domingo.
His main business is translations for major law firms.
I'll send his contact info via private msg.

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
I know one in San Pedro

I will find her name, when I get home this evening, and send you a P.M. We have used her a number of times and I believe she now charges 700 pesos a page.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks CF & Scotia.....

I have the contact info in your PM CF and I'll fire off an email today.

Hopefully I can get this done before we head down!:bunny:

13 days and counting..........

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Just got a reply back from one of Bob Saunders' sources.

Very reasonable price quote since the translation has already been done (I sent one page of both original Spanish and my English translation for perusal).

Wish I'd posted months ago instead of waiting for the translation I thought was coming. Should have it all sorted out by early next week and can leave with a clear mind!

Now back to packing!!!

Thanks to those who responded and especially to Bob!!:eek: