Sosua is Dangerous!

Status
Not open for further replies.

starstar

Nov 2, 2007
I want everyone reading this to know how bad it is in Sosua.
I visited for the month of October, and couldn't believe what a hole Sosua is. There are very persistant hookers absolutely everywhere, trashy street people who pester you for money, street sellers who won't let you eat a meal in peace, and people bothering you to shine your flip flops. The worst part was the police harrassment. I got stopped by the cops on the street and hassled for wearing a green hat. They stole my hat, the money in my pocket
(1000 pesos), my pack of smokes, and told me I was lucky not to be going to jail! My hat wasn't even camoflage...it had a logo from my job here in the states! I met a few people who had similar stories...one guy, (a dominican) who had his motorbike stolen by the cops for no reason, another guy (also dominican) who had to spend the night in jail because he was from Punta Cana, so they told him he was too far away from home. Off to jail for that terrible crime! One american I was talking to had to spend 3 days in a Puerto Plata jail for the terrible crime of being white. He had to pay $1500 USD "fine" to get out. He was told he was arrested for tresspassing, even though he was on the sidewalk just coming back to the hotel after going shopping for souveniers at 4 in the afternoon!
I saw tons of places for sale (condos and bussinesses), empty buildings, closed bussinesses, crappy streets, and the general feeling that Sosua is a dying town.
I WONDER WHY??
Sosua is the worst place I've ever been. I've had 2 friends cancell thier tickets to go down there for a vacation already. Honestly, there's no reason for anyone to go there. there are many many places that are better, cheaper, safer, and more enjoyable to vacation in than the crap hole of Sosua.
My advice.....stay away. Why take the risk? Why put yourself through that? Go somewhere else! Almost anywhere else is better than Sosua.
Even if you stay in an AI, their advice is to NOT LEAVE THE RESORT!
I WONDER WHY???? Maybe because everyone who has spent any time in the godforsaken town knows what it's like.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Oh this otta be a fun thread,hold on folks.

BTW: In my 23 years of going to Sosua( about half a dozen times a year I might add) I have never been subject to any of this type of harrassment from the cops,nor would I allow it.
I guess some of us are just lucky that way.
hifiman

starstar

Nov 2, 2007
Funny, Renato, that the dominicans I talked to said that this type of police harrassment happens all the time.
So, are you denying that there are hookers everywhere, that street sellers bother you constantly, or that there are lots of closed bussinesses? Because if you are, then you are blind.

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Sorry I cannot believe more than 1% of your post.

1% - which bit was that then.

I'm sorry but I have to say when I went to Sosua I got nothing but friendliness. Myself and my then 14 year old daughter never once felt intimidate or threatened in any way whatsoever. We most certainly did not stay in out AI resort and we never felt the need to. Yes, there were people hassling a little for us to buy things from their stalls but nothing serious - if we said no they might have followed us for a few meters to try and persuade us but it was all very friendly and never anything nasty.

I love Sosua!

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
Funny, Renato, that the dominicans I talked to said that this type of police harrassment happens all the time.
So, are you denying that there are hookers everywhere, that street sellers bother you constantly, or that there are lots of closed bussinesses? Because if you are, then you are blind.

I'm not denying hookers (but they are not everywhere) Street vendors never bothered me in the last 21 year of traveling there. Businesses close and reopen, and no I'm not blind. Also I know many people there and friends living and vacationing every year and NEVER got bothered by the the police. If it really happened to you, you are the unluckiest person alive. Anyways I know thousands (from a Sosua group I moderate) that returns every year and never complain. But maybe they are all BLIND. :pirate:

starstar

Nov 2, 2007
Maybe I am unlucky.....so are the 3 other people who had similar, and worse treatment from the police there. So are the other people that my dominican friends know who've had similar treatment. I was told by people who actually live there full time (not just vacation every now and then) that this type of police harrassment is commonplace.
Why bother going to a place that is so risky? Go somewhere else where you can walk down the street in peace, and not have to worry about ending up in jail for nothing.
I feel lucky that I didn't end up in jail for my crime of wearing a green hat. What then? you would be telling me that THAT didn't really happen either?

starstar

Nov 2, 2007
And now it's being suggested that I wasn't even there? Wow.
You must have either a bussiness or a condo for sale, and don't want any bad light shed on Sosua.
Good luck selling your bad investment.

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
The 1% is from the hooker part of his text. The 1% is "Yes they are there".
But I don't agree with him saying that they are bothering everybody all the time, I only acknowledge their existence.

Ah that 1% - yes everybody knows that they're there but they are not hassling people at all, I certainly never saw any hassle.

Starstar - where did you stay in Sosua? And who did you travel with?

starstar

Nov 2, 2007
not that it matters, but I rented a furnished apartment. I'm a solo traveler. I went there by myself. Not that THAT matters either.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I have been there a few times (Sosua). I would say that Boca Chica looks a lot more intimidating than Sosua. I have been to Boca Chica plenty of times with no problems.;)

Sosua was definitely more relaxing than BC.

starstar

Nov 2, 2007
Apartment was just down the street from the clinic on Pedro clisante, on the left hand side of the street, and I'm from florida.

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
StarStar I have an idea. Surely from what you wrote you'll never go back to Sosua. BUT if you ever have a second thought wanting to take another look at this enchanting village, please let me know. I will gladly go with you, helping you see the good sides of Sosua. I will go with you meet people, talk with them (I will translate for you I you need), I'll present you my friendly Politur policeman and they will shake hands with you. Maybe I could change your mind about Sosua. :cheeky:

Status
Not open for further replies.