SKY Dominicana

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Anyone heard or know more about this company? Apparently they provide and install small satellite dishes and then charge around 800 RD monthly for 2 TV connections. They are supposed to get 200 channels and are not overly effected by cloudy weather. I am told htey will be installing in Puerto Plata but I can't find any other info. Thanks everyone.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I saw one in action in santiago. My neighbor has this system installed. Its supposed to be digital TV (not HDTV) and the picture should be as good as directV. In reality the picture quality is a tiny bit better than the regular cable. A total disappointment.
AZB

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks AZB, any chance you can get me some contact info fromyour neighbour?

Here in Puerto Plata they are converting our cable to the new system with the "box". THey have shut off 2 neighbourhoods from the old system but have no "boxes" available. We have been waiting 4 months and I am about fed up! Anything would be better then what we are dealing with here.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I will call my friend to get the numbers for you. He only speaks spanish. he is out of town for the long weekend.
AZB

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Thanks AZB, any chance you can get me some contact info fromyour neighbour?

Here in Puerto Plata they are converting our cable to the new system with the "box". THey have shut off 2 neighbourhoods from the old system but have no "boxes" available. We have been waiting 4 months and I am about fed up! Anything would be better then what we are dealing with here.

Here is SKY customer service number: 809-372-3111 in Santo Domingo 809-200-3111 from else where in the country.

If you want an idea of what is available have a look at the company providing the service at BIENVENIDOS A SKY - El mejor sistema de televisi?n por suscripci?n v?a sat?lite l?der en M?xico . They are currently offering a few different packages and the cheapest is ~$970 (inc taxes) for ~180 channels on one TV and installation is free. The system includes a 90cm dish (slightly under 1 meter), one IRD and a SKY access card. They also include one free month of their universal package in this promotion.

NotLurking

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks AZB - and thanks Notlurking. THis is exactly what I need! I am buying some beer next time I see you.....

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Pricing info

I contacted Sky Domincana and spoke with a customer service rep. First let me tell you that I spoke with an incredibly helpful representative and they have made a point of having staff who speak excellent English! Codetel / Claro should take notice!!!

Here is what I got when I contacted the company:

FUN - Base Plan 900RD per month, 1 TV hookup
1,278RD per month, 2 TV hookups
171 Channels

Movie - 2nd Tier 1,219 RD per month, 1 TV hookup
1,588 RD per month, 2 TV hookup
179 Channels

HBO MAX - 3rd tier 1,369 RD per month, 1 TV hookup
1,738 RD per month, 2 TV hookup
183 Channels

Universal - 4th Tier 1,689 RD per month, 1 TV hookup
2,058 RD per month, 2 TV hookup
197 Channels

There are 33 Pay PEr View channels included in all levels, 99RD charged and allows you 24 hours of viewing.

Installation is free for first TV and 495RD for second TV.

Apparently all channels are available in English or you can change the language to Spanish and you can add subtitles to either.

They will have a team in place in the next week or two in Puerto Plata to receive sign ups!

As for me - I am registered! I am damn tired of waiting for our cable company to get their act together!

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
"Installation is free" meaning the value of the equipment/dish they install is covered within the monthly fees? Or is the customer responsible for getting his own generic dish?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Installation - no fee at all for first TV, minimal for second. The equip etc is all included in the monthly rental fee. The dish is 90 CM and they say can be installed almost anywhere.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, so I went out of my way to test drive this system.
They have a cubicle setup in el encanto supermarket in santiago where they are soliciting new customers. they have a LCD TV with the satellite connection with all channels open for public display.
So I scanned through all the channels and to my disappointment, the digital signal produces a picture quality which is same or a bit inferior to VHS cassette reception. The reception is nothing like the directv siganl where the movies came in in DVD quality. This sky setup is digital signal but seems like its analog converted to digital. The picture quality just is not up to digital standards. I would not even subscribe to it, even if it was given to me for free. Just too disappointing. The picture is flat, devoid of contrast and no sharp details. Seemed like as if someone made an illegal copy of a VHS movie playing it on sky TV.
AZB

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks AZB for the info. Unfortunately for some of us - this option is actually better then the others!!! I have been on the wait list for 4 1/2 months for the other cable company to supply 98 channels that mostly don't work anyway!

More info - you can put up to 4 TV's on a contract. More then that and you need another contract! Price of 4 units on the Premium package 2,058 RD per month. You have to pay to install 3 of the receivers, price is 495RD each but the first is free.

I am told installation should start in the Puerto Plata area Dec 1. They are already installing in Santiago and Santo Domingo.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
The digital and not High definition

I saw one in action in santiago. My neighbor has this system installed. Its supposed to be digital TV (not HDTV) and the picture should be as good as directV. In reality the picture quality is a tiny bit better than the regular cable. A total disappointment.
AZB

The digital and not High definition sure is a disappointment, can one receive high def sat here?

What system? Direct tv?

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
I contacted Sky Domincana and spoke with a customer service rep. First let me tell you that I spoke with an incredibly helpful representative and they have made a point of having staff who speak excellent English! Codetel / Claro should take notice!!!

Here is what I got when I contacted the company:

FUN - Base Plan 900RD per month, 1 TV hookup
1,278RD per month, 2 TV hookups
171 Channels

Movie - 2nd Tier 1,219 RD per month, 1 TV hookup
1,588 RD per month, 2 TV hookup
179 Channels

HBO MAX - 3rd tier 1,369 RD per month, 1 TV hookup
1,738 RD per month, 2 TV hookup
183 Channels

Universal - 4th Tier 1,689 RD per month, 1 TV hookup
2,058 RD per month, 2 TV hookup
197 Channels

There are 33 Pay PEr View channels included in all levels, 99RD charged and allows you 24 hours of viewing.

Installation is free for first TV and 495RD for second TV.

Apparently all channels are available in English or you can change the language to Spanish and you can add subtitles to either.

They will have a team in place in the next week or two in Puerto Plata to receive sign ups!

As for me - I am registered! I am damn tired of waiting for our cable company to get their act together!

Planner: Where is this team going to be set up here in Puerto Plata? I too am so fed up with waiting for the current company to get things straightened out. I already have the stupid converter box (have had it for at least 3 months), but it sucks, just like the whole cable system. Sometimes the channels change to different networks, sometimes certain channels work, most of the time they don't. And it's like pulling teeth to get anyone to come out. Even when they come out, it works for a day or two, then I start to lose the channels that are the most important to me all over again. Then here I go to the office to complain again, while all the while paying my bill. And nobody ever has an explanation. You already know the drill.... So where is this team going to be signing people up?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
They should be here on or about Dec 1. I can let you know.

I do not understand how the current company even stays in operation here. they steal the sattelite signals then rebroadcast them as part of their package. Half the time the channels you want don't work! Like I said, I waited 4 months and kept getting the same story - no cable boxes! Ahhhhhhhhhh I am fed up and even if the quality is not up to Direct TV or HD or whatever - I don't care.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I am up and running

I have now had SKY for 2 weeks. I waited to report until I was comfortable with everything!

Installation was fairly straightforward - except for the part where they didn't have a ladder big enough to get to our roof!!!! They got around that by installing our dish just to the side of our apt building! I have in writing they are responsible for the dish.

WE installed 2 TV's, you must have all TV's on site when the installation happens or they will NOT hook you up.

The tech then explained how to use the remote - to anyone who does NOT speak spanish - good luck! The tech speaks no english.

The system is straightforward, fairly simple to use once you get used to it.

QUALITY - I find the picture quality to be EXCELLENT!!! I was used to Puerto Plata Cable whish is absolute crap. This is excellent. We've not had a lot of bad weather to test us through but to date we have had absolutely no problems at all.

Issues - the only issue I have is lack of American stations. We do not get ABC, CBS or NBC. I was told they are in the package. Well we all know sales people will say whatever they want. We get all kinds of other stations so I am not disappointed too much.

Bottom line - I recommend the system!

Techman

Dec 29, 2007
It does have the NFL channel and you can get NFL sunday Ticket and NBA season pass for you sports lovers

dwnddindr

Jun 12, 2007
Channels

Hey Planner,

Does the system have USA, TNT and TBS? That's my wife's favorite channels and right now we don't have access to them. And in regards to ABC, CBS and NBC not being on the system, which package do you subscribe to, because maybe they are on the biggest package (universe)? And last, but not least, do you know where SKY is located in Puerto Plata? Thanks.