Be careful driving the autopista (STI-SDQ) ....

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
....went down and back today between STI and SDQ. IF you decide to drive this stretch at night, please take your time. It has never been worse. All types of road problems due to the rain/storm all the way up and down the stretch of highway. Bad enough during the day...but at night, you will not see the "caution" signs in the extremely bad areas which could cause you TONS of grief.

Take care!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks for the info. I will pass this on to my friend who is coming that way tomorrow.
AZB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well said DMS! I had warned of the bridges being used for two way traffic, but I certainly had no idea that it was that bad. Any specifics?

HB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Could you give a little bit more info - If you can recall - as to what parts of this road (area) one should be more careful. Maybe areas where parts of the road are washed out, huge potholes have formed, etc...

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
La Cumbre for sure....a couple bridges are one way only....there are really a lot of bad spots at night (during the day its not bad but there are no good caution signs for the big problem areas). Sorry, I should have had my camera!

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
UPDATE Road driving conditions STI to SDQ...10.8.07

This is about as good as you will ever get from me....those of you that know the areas I am describing and can "chip in" on more description, please do so!

AGAIN...the KEY here is NIGHT DRIVING. During the day, while there is light, there is no problem in driving this road. With the ZERO LIGHT FACTOR at night, you would be WELL ADVISED to keep the following areas "?n your head" if you drive this section of road AT NIGHT over the next few weeks.

From STI to SDQ (Southbound)

1). Just as you pass the LaVega area (after the REMIX company on right) the Puente de Ponton (Ponton River bridge) is a "slow area"

2). The stretch of road on the right hand lane right before the Jacaranda hotel/rest stop (lets call this about 5 km before Bonao in the Los Arroces area) is uneven and with nasty pot holes.

3). Immediately at the Jacaranda hotel/rest stop is a LARGE DETOUR across the Yuna river. YOU MUST get into the left lane and will be facing oncoming traffic as you cross the bridge. The Bridge is OUT on the right side.

4). At Km 28, past Bonao are lots of pot holes for a couple kilometers.

5). Large detour right before Piedra Blanca. You have to crtoss a bridge again and you must get into the left lane and face oncoming traffic again. This comes up VERY quick after the potholes described in #4.

6). Once you get across this bridge, get back over into the right hand lanes as soon as you can because the way the road looks (with the road divider) you could convince yourself that you should continue driving in the left hand lanes (which would be a disaster) as there is no real way to cross the median due to the barriers after this point.

7). Immed. following Piedra Blanca is clay and mud and trees that keep falling into the road. When the clay is wet it is very slippery. The slides and the trucks/loaders taking materials away from the slides are creating slick areas in the roads...so again, at night and in the rain, this area could be very tricky.

8). Same goes in the La Cumbre area as # 7

9). Right past Villa Altagracia, there is a curve that has all kinds of potholes on right and left sides of road. At this point you are coming into the "batata" area and there are lots of potholes on the right side of the road.

10). The last area with problems of potholes is in the final curve as you are approach Pedro Brand.

Heading SDQ to STI (North bound) AND THIS IS ESPECIALLY FOR YOU LICEY FANS THAT WILL BE TRAVELLING UP TO STI FRIDAY NIGHT TO TAKE A BUTT KICKING FROM THE AGUILLAS)

1). Villa Altagracia Zone- right before Metro gas station -right lane- is severe pot holes and uneven surface.

2). La Cumbre (just past the statue of the Virgin Mary) there are slides, mud, potholes, along with 5 (yes that is five) large road "washouts"in the right hand lane (this means you need to be in left lane or you will have a problem). This stretch has lots of "topical" clay from the work crews getting into the street. This is a precarious area.

3). Piedra Blanca -Right at the Esso gas station- right hand lanes STAY RIGHT. You are now facing the "head on" traffic from the Southbound lanes due to the bridge being out in Piedra Blanca.

4). Near the 7th Day Adventist University the road is very uneven and there are plenty of potholes.

5). Bonao...coming into the Yuna river area....get into the right lane and stay there as you cross the bridge. Again, you are facing traffic here.

6). Entrance area to Macoris (a couple kms before actually) are 2 large washouts on the right hand side similar in scope to La Cumbre.

7). Then of course you have the "toll plaza" right as you are coming into Santiago that always claims a few trucks and cars at night.

Hope this helps any of you "night runners". I used to love that stretch of highway at night.....but now...................

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
Bridges

What is the condition of the Bridges in Bonao and Piedra Blanca?
Have you heard of any plans on re-paving the trouble area before
the Holidays season?.
Thank You for all the info. Be carefull out there