Dead DirecTV anyone?

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
I've been without DirecTV since Saturday.
I know I couldn't see anything through Wednesday anyway (thanks to Noel) but during the brief let ups in the rain I saw that the message on the TV screen was not "Searching for satellite signal. Please stand by" as it usually is when it's raining. It had changed to "For ordering information please contact your costumer service center."
I called my local contact and asked what's going on. "It's because of the rain" was the predictable answer. No explanation why it wasn't the usual "searching for satellite signal" message. I kept calling for a more plausible explanation. They couldn't help, as:
1) the right person wasn't in the office
2) we'll call you right back (never happened)
3) everybody went home because there's no electricity in the office

Yesterday the message on the TV had changed to "Please insert valid access card".
Yet another series of calls today to confirm if they were indeed delivering a new access card. Not necessary they said, as:
1) the boss changed the programming yesterday it should be working now. (it isn't)
2) turn on your TV and enter channel 0206. It should pick up shortly. (it hasn't)

I'm really burning here before the weekend. I'm about to miss:
1) Arsenal - Manchester United
2) Patriots - Colts
3) Kessler (my man!!!) - Calzaghe on HBO Saturday night. The fight of the year/decade/century/millennium/all times.
So what! I like sports! It's the only reason I got DirecTV in the first place.

My question is this: How the H#LL can they make my 'local and independent' receiver pick up signals by "reprogramming" whatever they are reprogramming in their office?

Personally I think they are stalling because they don't have the new cards yet and just feed me some mumbo-jumbo and hope I'll go away and live without TV until they feel like servicing me. I'm not expecting a discount for the one week (or more) without service. That would be a new one......

It's the usual service. You get it anywhere: They tell you what they think you'd like to hear instead of the truth.
I'd probably swear just as much if they told me truth, that they don't have any new cards, but at least I wouldn't hang around burning over their futile efforts to fix the problem.

:eek:gre:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If your receiver is searching for the signal, this usually means your dish has been moved with strong winds and the receiver (antenna) is not pointing at the targeted satellite. You must fine tune the direction of the antenna.
AZB

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
The receiver isn't searching.
I also checked the signal strength, it is the same as before Noel.

The message on the screen is "insert valid access card".

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
We pay every 3 months but have never received a new card when we pay. Don't know how the 'phone home' system works. We've had DirecTV for a year and haven't had this problem before.

Robert Sounds to me like the kid has been playing with pencils again
The kid can play with pencils all she wants. Just look at our kitchen walls. I'm fine with that. But when someone takes away my sports there will be hell to pay. :knockedou

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Yeah, you need to try and reacquire he signal by repositioning the dish....I have had the same problem on my boat.......

If that doesn't work you need to call them DIRECT, and that is not good. (like in my case) you will be routed to some Middle Eastern help desk (India, Malaysia, God knows where else) who will insist you have not paid.......

........do yourself a favor, ASK FOR A SUPERVISOR which will route you to an individual who will help you.

I did this and the call was re-directed to OKLAHOMA (I was docked in the Caymans) and had service in 8 minutes!

Good luck

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
DirecTV working again

Got it back just now.

It was solved over the phone after all. The "reprogramming" (which is probably just the 'phone home' procedure) was completed after the boss finally came to the phone following numerous calls.

If it was so damn easy why didn't they just tell me the truth right away? Here's the response they should have given me when we made the first call 4 days ago: "The person who can solve the problem won't be in until Saturday at noon. We're sorry for the inconvenience caused."
I hate all the cock&bull they feed you in between......

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Sorry to hear you are having so mutch trouble with your TV. My wife and I live in POP and have been without a TV for 2 years. Thats by choise, we never bought one, its great. Give it a try. You might have to talk to each other, or read to the kids or read a book, or learn about yourself, any of these options are much better then TV. Being an old TV lover I understand the difficulty. But I am sorry you are having trouble with your TV. Good luck.