Does anyone have a PAL video player?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I have brought a video of my son's BMX racing when he was British Champion in 1988. Ross was tragically killed in an accident on 29th September 2007 whilst I was back in the UK. I would love to see this old video and transfer it to DVD but unfortunately I need a PAL video player to watch it - would anyone have one which I can borrow for a few days (we are near Sabaneta)?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have brought a video of my son's BMX racing when he was British Champion in 1988. Ross was tragically killed in an accident on 29th September 2007 whilst I was back in the UK. I would love to see this old video and transfer it to DVD but unfortunately I need a PAL video player to watch it - would anyone have one which I can borrow for a few days (we are near Sabaneta)?
For it to be viewable on our NTSC system TVs, it would need to be converted.
In North America, there are shops that specialize in that type of thing, but I know of nobody around here who does it.
That doesn't mean there is nobody, just that I don't know who.

PS: If someone lent you a PAL VCR, it still wouldn't work on your TV.

PPS: For the sake of the tape not going mouldy, it must be kept in a very very dry place.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
For it to be viewable on our NTSC system TVs, it would need to be converted.
In North America, there are shops that specialize in that type of thing, but I know of nobody around here who does it.
That doesn't mean there is nobody, just that I don't know who.

PS: If someone lent you a PAL VCR, it still wouldn't work on your TV.

PPS: For the sake of the tape not going mouldy, it must be kept in a very very dry place.

Am advised (by better half) that TV can be switched from NTSC to PAL.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Actually Rocky Samsung makes a vcr that will play all formats ntsc,pal or secam on an ntsc tv.
Whether or not someone has one on the island well thats another story.I have one here in my store but unfortunatly I am in the fridgid north.
hifiman

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Bloody handy to have a better half, isn't it?
You must have a multi system TV. Did you bring it with you from England?

No, bought it at Plaza Lama in Santiago. Its an LG with (alledgedly) a 3 year guarantee!!!!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Actually Rocky Samsung makes a vcr that will play all formats ntsc,pal or secam on an ntsc tv.
Whether or not someone has one on the island well thats another story.I have one here in my store but unfortunatly I am in the fridgid north.
hifiman
Of course.
It's a multi system VCR.
But it still would not have worked on Whirley's TV, if she had a normal NTSC TV, unless you're telling me that there's some new technology out in that Samsung VCR you refer to, that converts the format.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Of course.
It's a multi system VCR.
But it still would not have worked on Whirley's TV, if she had a normal NTSC TV, unless you're telling me that there's some new technology out in that Samsung VCR you refer to, that converts the format.

Yes thats what I am telling you the Samsung vcr works on a normal ntsc tv.I have been selling them for years out of my store Rocky,nothing new about it.
Sold lots to Europeans with no problems.
Hifiman

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yes thats what I am telling you the Samsung vcr works on a normal ntsc tv.I have been selling them for years out of my store Rocky,nothing new about it.
Sold lots to Europeans with no problems.
Hifiman
I understand that it works on NTSC TVs, but are you saying that it will convert a PAL VCR tape and play it to a NTSC TV?

Or is it like this?
Multi-System converting VCRs, Pal to NTSC VCR, SV-5000W VHS conversion vcr, Convert VHS pal to NTSC, convert VHS NTSC to PAL, PAL conversion, secam conversion, ntsc tape conversion, pal vhs conversion
with an outboard converter?

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Kool.
Of course, the 500 buck price tag is a bit restrictive, as is the distance from the DR, but it is nice to know that they now have VCRs with the built in converters.

Been selling them for years.See you in December for Ribs.
hifiman

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Bring a SV 5000 for Whirley.
She needs one for Christmas.:bunny:

PS: I'm somewhat out of touch with the latest electronics, since moving here in "91.

I would be glad to.

But with the cnd dollar hitting $1.07 and the price of electronics in Canada being higher then the US our price is $599.99 compared to maybe $399.99 in the US if you looked around for the best deal.

Hifiman

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I would be glad to.

But with the cnd dollar hitting $1.07 and the price of electronics in Canada being higher then the US our price is $599.99 compared to maybe $399.99 in the US if you looked around for the best deal.

Hifiman
Is it any wonder I don't want to live in that frozen over taxed tundra?

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Is it any wonder I don't want to live in that frozen over taxed tundra?

Well at least the high dollar is good for travelling.

BTW:Is the CDN dollar getting more pesos the the US dollar around town,or should I still bring US money.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Am hoping that, with any luck, someone may have one here already which I can just borrow for a couple of days so that I can view the video and transfer it to DVD - probably will never have another use for it after that so don't really want to spend loads of money.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Whirleybird have you looked into getting it converted to dvd,I'm sure there has to be someone in Santo Domingo that offers that service.
I can do it for you but I would have to bring it back to Canada convert it and then fedex it back to you.
Something in which I would be happy to do.
Hifiman

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Whirleybird have you looked into getting it converted to dvd,I'm sure there has to be someone in Santo Domingo that offers that service.
I can do it for you but I would have to bring it back to Canada convert it and then fedex it back to you.
Something in which I would be happy to do.
Hifiman

Think we may be able to convert it via our own computer system but thank you for the very kind offer and will bear it in mind if we are unable to organise it here.