Flash speed connection in Guayacanes??

bolo777

Jun 24, 2007
I called codetel, no flash or plans for it. Wireless cell is possible but not high speed. Check on new flash connect for laptops but was told that the signal would not work for my area, but I am not sure they really understood their own technology. Tricom in not connecting in area. Other then a Sat. connection is there another cost effective solution please???::ermm:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I called codetel, no flash or plans for it. Wireless cell is possible but not high speed. Check on new flash connect for laptops but was told that the signal would not work for my area, but I am not sure they really understood their own technology. Tricom in not connecting in area. Other then a Sat. connection is there another cost effective solution please???::ermm:
Any chance that this works in your area?
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/68059-onemax-wimax-1st-test.html

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
You can say .. Not for a long time

There is another solution , but at the end cost the same as a satellite connection and that is:
Have a dsl connection somewhere and via WiFi bring it to your place

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You can say .. Not for a long time

There is another solution , but at the end cost the same as a satellite connection and that is:
Have a dsl connection somewhere and via WiFi bring it to your place
Pardon me for not understanding, but are you suggesting that he could send a wifi signal from the next town over that does have Codetel DSL service?

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Pardon me for not understanding, but are you suggesting that he could send a wifi signal from the next town over that does have Codetel DSL service?

That's exactly how many in Vista Del Caribe have had Internet.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
From what distance?

Not sure if the signal was coming from Cabarete or Sosua ( or an antenna somewhere in between ) or for that matter, if there are "repeater antennas". All I know is there's an antenna on one of our buildings, that receives the signal. It is then networked through the rest of the complex.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Not sure if the signal was coming from Cabarete or Sosua ( or an antenna somewhere in between ) or for that matter, if there are "repeater antennas". All I know is there's an antenna on one of our buildings, that receives the signal. It is then networked through the rest of the complex.
I've heard of it being done, with relays along the way, and I can understand how it's a economically viable solution, as you are so many people living there, but I can't see any one single person wanting to foot the bill for that set up, specially if it has to come from 10 miles away.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
I've heard of it being done, with relays along the way, and I can understand how it's a economically viable solution, as you are so many people living there, but I can't see any one single person wanting to foot the bill for that set up, specially if it has to come from 10 miles away.

Yup. There's also the fact that not only are you still reliant on the original signal provider ( in this case Codetel - and we all know what that means ) but you are also introducing more 'points of failure' - antennas, radio receivers, battery back-ups, routers, etc.

We've switched to Cable.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yup. There's also the fact that not only are you still reliant on the original signal provider ( in this case Codetel - and we all know what that means ) but you are also introducing more 'points of failure' - antennas, radio receivers, battery back-ups, routers, etc.

We've switched to Cable.
How's cable working out for you?
Good enough?

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
How's cable working out for you?
Good enough?

Speeds are at least as good, and reliability is outstanding (touch wood!!)

We personally have VOIP issues ( Vonage and Comcast incompatibility ?)
This was on a previous thread, and still haven't got it sorted out. So in the meantime, Skype is our only option.

Overall, everyone here who has switched to cable are VERY happy.

Curiously, Comcast are using Codetel and Centennial, with some kind of "load / line balancing" for their backbone - but we don't have the DNS problems you seem to be experiencing.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Yes it is possible, it is a point-to-point connection and NOT a WDS or Shared connection to cover large area's
It can happen that the same equipment is used , but with a different programming.

We have for our WiFi Hotspot system a coverage over Juan Dolio - Los Conucos - Metro etc , for that we have already 40 Units placed just to get some decent coverage.

BUT

For our secretary to connect people who send email/message/money/ whatever, she has in her house in SPM a virtual office, only dialup available in her barrio - what was not an option, thus now WiFi connected to our office in Juan Dolio, over a secure point-to-point connection and has not the need anymore to go to the main office to add/remove/update WiFi users/clients.

That last connection goes over 1x5Km 1x12Km total of 17Km with 1 "repeater"

And as already mentioned the "Feed" is important, With Codetel you know what you don't have and if you get it you will be happy, A satellite feed is also limited, Max daily use - weather conditions etc can be a P.i.t.A as well.

Don't forget that you are still in a 3rd world country, where infrastructure is limited to the basic view of the goverments (like the bigger cities) and a bit further away you need to be happy with what YOU can create, don't expect to much from others.

A.