Importing motorcycles/autos/

Shovelhead Denis

Nov 3, 2007
I did read some old posts on importing a motorcycle from 2002, but here we are in 2007. I have an older Harley I would like to keep, what are the import rules/fees etc?
Thanks
Denis

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You're going to pay around 60% MOL of value Customs says it is worth (which will be substantially higher than YOU think it is, fairly close to current retail, and you won't be able to argue with them), plus the shipping.

The good news is no one will complain about it "marking it's spot" in the DR...;)

Shovelhead Denis

Nov 3, 2007
imports

Just read somewhere that you cannot import older vehicles, this bike is an 81, does anyone know if I could import it? Also, is there only the one harley dealer in DR?

Any help will be apreciated.
thanks
Denis

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It may classify as a "classic". But the cost of duty and importation would be the same.

Magna in SD (they closed their Santiago shop) is the only Harley dealer, but don't count on much of a parts inventory. A few clothes, yes.

I saw a stock V-Rod there priced at over US$32,000. :eek:

Shovelhead Denis

Nov 3, 2007
Parts

Thanks for the reply Cobraboy, I am not worried about parts inventories as Harley, being who they are do not care about you once your bike is 10 to 12 years old the stop carrying parts and working on it. No neee to tell you how I feel about that. Just thought a dealer may be able to help with import. I do want to keep it, have had it a long time and have too much into it to let it go.

Denis

ingramlaw

Apr 5, 2007
I would like to find out if a tractor imported from a manufacturer in China is exempt from duty and import tax because it is machinery which will be used for agricultural purposes.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
HA HA HA...from Harleys to Chinese tractors??? this if funny.

I "think " that there special terms for agricultural equipment. As for a Chinese tractor, again I question WHY? (Except for price, if it is a "use it and lose it" option) John Deere, Case-International and other marks are available with less hassle.

Of course, if this is a business venture, for re-sale, then it might make some sense...

Parts and Service? Yeah, right...

HB

ingramlaw

Apr 5, 2007
Most agricultural machinery is now manufactured in China due to the abundance of cheap labor. As for why, the price is about a third of the cost of purchasing a John Deere with the Chinese tractor having similar quality. Are you aware of an exception to the duty requirements and can direct me to the correct information?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I know that CAT has factories in China, but that implies US supervision and quality control.
A "Chinese" tractor is most probably a piece of crap. At least, if I may extrapolate from the experience of those folks that have purchased Chinese cars, trucks or motorcycles...

As for parts and service...
Look I said that if this is a "use and forget" deal, okay, one supposes that a new tractor of almost any make will do a few jobs...before it starts to go south..

HB

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
If you want the bike here with no duties or hassles then drive it to Miami and put it on the ferry to Puerto Rico. Then put it on the ferry from Puerto Rico to DR and simply drive it away. After 30 days the bike will no longer be 'legal' here, but do you really care?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
If you want the bike here with no duties or hassles then drive it to Miami and put it on the ferry to Puerto Rico. Then put it on the ferry from Puerto Rico to DR and simply drive it away. After 30 days the bike will no longer be 'legal' here, but do you really care?

I don't know if that's good advice, I believe that the bike has to be registered and inspected in Puerto Rico and you must have a Puerto Rican drivers license with a host of other things needed.