Right Hand Drive Vehicles

Mr.William

Aug 5, 2007
I am trying to decide which vehicle of mine to bring with me when I move to the DR. Just wanting to know if anyone can lend some advise ? I have a 1990 Mercedes 500SL which is the one I want to bring with me the most. From what I have read older cars like this can be brought in, but are just taxed higher ? If so, how much higher ?

I also own a 2000 Nissan Skyline that will be sent direct from Japan-DR. It is a right hand drive model. Are there any laws against the RHD aspect ? I read somewhere that RHD is illegal in the DR, but noticed a few driving around the last time I was there.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am trying to decide which vehicle of mine to bring with me when I move to the DR. Just wanting to know if anyone can lend some advise ? I have a 1990 Mercedes 500SL which is the one I want to bring with me the most. From what I have read older cars like this can be brought in, but are just taxed higher ? If so, how much higher ?

I also own a 2000 Nissan Skyline that will be sent direct from Japan-DR. It is a right hand drive model. Are there any laws against the RHD aspect ? I read somewhere that RHD is illegal in the DR, but noticed a few driving around the last time I was there.

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
The RHDs are illegal.
You may have seen some, but then again, a lot of people do a lot of illegal things, and there's always the chance that it was a car owned by a dealer, who was going to convert it.
Anyhow, if you do decide to bring the RHD, you'll be glad to know that there are people here who can do a darn good job converting it.
PS: My Lexus is a converted RHD.

Mr.William

Aug 5, 2007
That's great, thanks for the information ! So there would be no problem importing it, just wait to drive it until the conversion has been done ? Or should I have this done first to avoid any risks ? Would you mind sharing the associated costs for the conversion you paid in the DR ?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
That's great, thanks for the information ! So there would be no problem importing it, just wait to drive it until the conversion has been done ?
This is way outside of my expertise.
Logic dictates that if the dealers can bring them in, so can you, but you may not be able to bring in your car, because of it's age.
I believe that the limit is 6 year old cars, or less.

Or should I have this done first to avoid any risks ?
Whichever seems best to you.
The only conversions I have seen in my life, have been here in the DR, so I can't say how good a job they might do elsewhere, but following normal patterns, one might think that mechanics abroad would do a better job, but charge a fortune for the work.

Would you mind sharing the associated costs for the conversion you paid in the DR ?
I bought the car, already converted.
I could put you in touch with the right people, should you decide to proceed, but I think that you're going to find out that you cannot bring in a 2000 model.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Vehicle age limit

Well, from everything I've read, you cannot bring a car into the DR that is more than 5 years old. I thought about bringing my car when I moved here in 2006 so I did extensive research on the subject. My vehicle was a 2001 so it may have been able to slip through the cracks, depending on which date they looked at, the year it was built or the year I purchased it new. Ultimately, I decided against bringing it because I had my doubts about how easily it may have been to get it repaired or get spare parts. Since I've been here, I've never ever even seen a vehicle like it. Glad I made the choice not to bring it. That's my 2 cents.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I posted this info on another thread not long ago.

You can import a vehicle that's more than 5 years old. You will pay the same taxes that you would pay for a 2002 model, plus a 40% penalty.

If the vehicle is more than thirty years old, you need to get a letter from the local Antique Car Club certifying it is a classic, and the tax is a flat rate of 3500 dollars.

It was announced last year that the AMET would start cracking down on RHD vehicles, and that 'crackdown' never seemed to materialize. I see RHD vehicles on a daily basis throughout the city, but I don't know the specific law that prihibits the importation of them.
40% of the value of the car, of the taxes you're paying, the perceived value of the vehicle, the value of a 2002?

Kiboko

Dec 26, 2006
At one company I know in Santo Domingo, conversion costs somewhere between RD$23,000 and $30,000 depending on the model.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
At one company I know in Santo Domingo, conversion costs somewhere between RD$23,000 and $30,000 depending on the model.
When you consider all the work they have to do to convert them, that's really cheap.
I've seen them in mid process and it's a way bigger job than just moving a steering wheel over.
I figure that it would cost 2 to 3 times as much in America or Europe.

Mr.William

Aug 5, 2007
When you consider all the work they have to do to convert them, that's really cheap.
I've seen them in mid process and it's a way bigger job than just moving a steering wheel over.
I figure that it would cost 2 to 3 times as much in America or Europe.

That's actually very cheap! The same job in Japan would cost 3-4 times as much ( I already inquired ).