Used Car North Coast

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Where are good locations to buy a decent used car on the north coast, with a solid reputation? I did a search and didn't find much. I also checked the classified section and was surprised to find nothing. :)
Thanks,
Steve

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Where are good locations to buy a decent used car on the north coast, with a solid reputation? I did a search and didn't find much. I also checked the classified section and was surprised to find nothing. :)
Thanks,
Steve

I don't know of any reputable used car dealerships up north but a strong token of advice would be to check the car's VIN number. Get an unlimited month account on Carfax.com for US$29.00 I believe. One search costs US$25.00, but I'm about 99% sure you'll do more than one search.

You'll find many used cars here that have been salvaged and repaired. More importantly, odometer roll backing is very common in the DR as well.

When I purchased a Toyota Rav 4 2001 earlier this year, I ran 63 VIN searches and only 1 came back OK. Fortunately, that's the one I bought and I have been very pleased with the car.

A

apostropheman

try searching for Espaillat Motors...they're a very reputable car dealer in the Moca area.

their contact info has been posted many times before.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Contact Rocky, he knows the people at Espaillat Motors very well. Lots of people have gone that route.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Place To Buy Used Car On North Coast

Contact Rocky, he knows the people at Espaillat Motors very well. Lots of people have gone that route.

After doing a search for "Espallat Motors", I found multiple hits. I will check it out, thanks.
I have a question about running the VIN on the vehicle. Although I have done this many times in Canada with great success, while looking to buy from the states, my concern is that once it enters the DR, info on the VIN would not be kept up any longer. Is that an accurate assumption?
Thanks,
Steve

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
After doing a search for "Espallat Motors", I found multiple hits. I will check it out, thanks.
I have a question about running the VIN on the vehicle. Although I have done this many times in Canada with great success, while looking to buy from the states, my concern is that once it enters the DR, info on the VIN would not be kept up any longer. Is that an accurate assumption?
Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

Yes your assumption is correct. The VIN number only gives you the car's history in the U.S., and does not give you its history in the Dominican Republic. To obtain the vehicle's Dominican history you would have to get that information from the local mechanic and/or dealer where that vehicle has been serviced.

In the best case scenario, you'll find a vehicle that's been shipped to the country recently, which was what happened to me. Either way, just getting the vehicle's US history is a huge start and is a must when purchasing used in the DR.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I agree with all recommendations here, and add two...it's what I did...

Check supercarros.com - just to get an idea of current prices
Talk to Marco
Go to Espaiilat (don't bother with their website, it's updated often)
When you find one...or a few you like, check the vins on carfax.com
When (if) you pick one, ask to be able to take it to a dealer to have it checked out

N

naturelover

turin motors in moca are good also.........how second hand did you mean

N

naturelover

gregsgarage.com has a computer thingy for checking cars

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Buying Used Car

turin motors in moca are good also.........how second hand did you mean

Whatever $5 to $10k would pay for. I posted regarding this last year, trying to make the smart decision, knowing I don't live in the DR but have a place in Cabarete. I spent a total of 6 weeks in the villa over last winter and maybe that could be stretched to 8 weeks this winter.
Every time I go, I rent a car, so at a certain point, it would become more cost effective to buy, rather than rent.

Davidz, thanks for that site. I checked it out and it gives me an idea of what you get for your money.
Thanks,
Steve