house stuff

Popahora

Nov 2, 2007
Hi all

Has anybody recently had their household possessions shipped into the DR by container. Did it go ok?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
You will hear horror stories. Having said that we shipped a container from the US in April and it was a breeze. PM me if you want.

Bob K

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We did it and it cost us around US8000. It was basically all of our posessions from our 3br, 2 bath home in Orlando. We qualified for the tax exemption becasue my wife is Dom. However, that doesn't apply to appliances or electronics less than two years ols. I think drtampa just did this recently too. Cars can qualify if it has been in the name of a Dom for more than a year. A lot of container companies will let the car go in with the household goods.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Container full of household goods

Well, my experience was good, bad and a lot of stress involved. It cost me about 8,000 U.S. as well. I shipped from Michigan in the summer of 2006. My container didn't include appliances nor a vehicle. There was a storm somewhere out in the ocean (I was told) so it took a lot longer than I was told it would. Once the container arrived, it sat in the port yard in Boca Chica until they got around to giving me an inspection date. That took about 2 more weeks. During that time it was raining a lot in that area. Finally got an inspection date (after numerous phone calls), drove from Puerto Plata to BC and waited hours for the inspection team to get started. Caught the inspectors slipping small things in their pockets and a backpack (small tools, CD's, etc.). Got most of it back but not all. After the inspection, they put everything back inside the container and I had to wait for another appt. date to go back and apply for exoneration (already had my residency here by the time my "stuff" got here). Then had to wait another week to get the final figures, get the certified checks from the bank in Puerto Plata and send them via Caribe Express. Finally got a delivery date set up about a week later. When the container finally made it's way to my doorstep, two large boxes were soaked. Turns out there was a small hole in the roof of the container. Lost some things that were priceless (family heirlooms from the 1700's). Filed a report and request for reimbursement (yes I had paid for insurance). Got reimbursed for the clothing that was totally ruined from mold, mildew and color-fading, but sadly, the heirlooms are history. Luckily there was no damage to my furniture other than one broken vase. So.... my advice, check out the container thoroughly if you can BEFORE they load your goods into it.

Oh, also watch the guys with hawk-eyes when they're unloading and unpacking your things. There were a couple of small metal works of art given to me by my Dad from his worldly travels that someone must have slipped into their pocket from right here on my front porch. I know they were here because I saw them when they first unloaded and proceeded to unpack my things, but after they left, they were no where to be seen. There was so much going on, all at the same time (5 guys were sent to handle my stuff) that I had a hard time watching all of them at once. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Popahora

Nov 2, 2007
thanks - sounds like its still a bit hit and miss. We weren't going to bother with a car, just household junk!

Do you have to have residency papers through to claim tax exemption before you do it, or is just filing for provisional residency ok?

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Shipping container to DR

thanks - sounds like its still a bit hit and miss. We weren't going to bother with a car, just household junk!

Do you have to have residency papers through to claim tax exemption before you do it, or is just filing for provisional residency ok?

Well, I'm not sure what a provisional residency is. But whatever the initial process is to file for residency, that's what I had done in July of 2006 when I came down to find and secure a place to live. At that time, I went to see my lawyer in Santo Domingo and got the process started. Also during that trip I purchased new bedroom furniture and all kitchen appliances plus washer/dryer and a few basic necessities and had them delivered. My husband stayed in the house while I went back to the states to supervise the move. I moved here the following month. I did not have the actual temporary residency card nor my cedula by the time the container arrived but the papers I had from the officials in SD showing that my temporary residency request was underway was sufficient to allow me the discount. It made a HUGE difference in what I had to pay and was well worth it.;)

Jan 5, 2006
The least painfull way to do this is by paying a door to door shipping company. You know the full price up-front, including taxes and delivery to your home in DR.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

You or your spouse have to be a Dominican citizen, otherwise you don't apply.

Residents of any type or status do not qualify - they will hit you with BIG taxes, I understand.

Basically, if youy or your spouse aren't Dom citizens, it will be a lot cheaper just to buy most of the stuff here. As far as clothes and personable valuables, they can be mailed at around US$1 to 2 a pound and as long as the value is less than US200, no taxes will be charged.

Popahora

Nov 2, 2007

Residents of any type or status do not qualify - they will hit you with BIG taxes, I understand.

We're not Dominican. I was under the impression that one container of personal stuff was ok if you are resident or applying for residency?

We don't own much of value, but the container already has all our stuff loaded up, including personal stuff, photos (boxes of), kids toys, bikes, furniture and loads of other personal junk. It would be a hell of a job, flying back, unloading stuff etc.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We're not Dominican. I was under the impression that one container of personal stuff was ok if you are resident or applying for residency?

We don't own much of value, but the container already has all our stuff loaded up, including personal stuff, photos (boxes of), kids toys, bikes, furniture and loads of other personal junk. It would be a hell of a job, flying back, unloading stuff etc.

If that is the case it is news to me. I hope it is true.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Shipping a container of household goods

Basically, if youy or your spouse aren't Dom citizens, it will be a lot cheaper just to buy most of the stuff here. As far as clothes and personable valuables, they can be mailed at around US$1 to 2 a pound and as long as the value is less than US200, no taxes will be charged.

Chip: I don't know where you got your information, but I just went through this whole process. I am not a Dominican citizen (or otherwise). My husband is not a Dominican citizen either. I got my information first from the information sheet given to me from my international mover, and had that information confirmed to me by my lawyer in Santo Domingo. This was all done before having my goods packed and shipped. Therefore, as I stated before, I applied for my residency before shipping my container. Once they arrived, having already received the official paper proving that my residency was being processed, I applied for the discount on taxes. Before applying, I was given an approximate cost. After having my request granted, it was significantly reduced.

Popahora: I took notes on everything but at the moment, I don't know where I've stored them. If I can find my notebook, I'll send you a PM with the costs I paid to receive my goods. (Contained all personal goods including two rooms of furniture, 2 new bikes, T.V.'s, etc., etc.).

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Stop Scaring The Nice Lady!!We all know that what makes a

"Difference" in the DR,it is not what people say,but what people DO! So just go to "Customs" when your stuff arrives,take any "Paperwork" you have with you,and several thousand pesos,in small denomination, to "Grease" everyone you meet! Smile,NEVER get mad or angry with a Dominican,it doesn't work,and be friendly,and "sooner-or-later" you will get your stuff! Buy everyone a few bers if you can,THAT always helps!!
This is NOT the "UK",so relax,be happy,smile,and forge ahead!

"Good Luck"!
Cris Colon

Popahora

Nov 2, 2007
thanks trabajadora and Chris - quite prepared for a bit of grease, but would like to get our stuff intact ;)

yes, any costs would be great trabajadora!

monn

Aug 8, 2007
I just got here 4 T 1st X, my residency is in process. I undrstnd dat aduana's cut is based ona whim. Wld U mind telin me wat amount they hit U 4, I no evryone has thier own particular experience, but I'm hoping dat if I ask enuf people, I can get an inklin of an idea of wat I might run into. Il B bringin in a 4x7 crate.

Last edited:

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
And don't forget. High and Dry storage for everything in your container until your house is ready at sosuaselfstorage.com