Baby Question

Aug 21, 2007
My infant grand daughter is coming this week for a visit. She is being bottle fed. In the US, we put the bottles in the dishwasher, which sterilizes them in the dry cycle. I don't have a dishwasher here. I wash my dishes in hot, soapy water to which I have added bleach. Then they air dry. Is this sufficient for the baby bottles?

Is there anyone who can advise me about this? Thanks!

Lindsey

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Why not just buy a bottle sterilizer from Babies R Us?

The problem with the bleach is that, from my research, to make the water potable one has to add enough clorox that the water to make it potable that it is left with a somewhat strong odor of clorox.

I suppose you could wash with filtered water or sterilize the bottles and such by boiling them too.

Aug 21, 2007
Good suggestion, Chip. I will see how much paraphrenalia they need to bring. If they can also handle a bottle sterilizer, that would be the solution. Otherwise. I guess we will just submerse the bottles in a pot and boil!

Thank you for the response. I know that most women here breast feed. I expected that solutions and suggestions would be few and far between....and I was right. Thanks for responding.

Lindsey

Jan 5, 2006
1. Wash the bottles, nipples, etc. with soap and water
2. Rinse
3. Put them into a large pot of boiling water for 5 minutes
4. Air dry.

Aug 21, 2007
Thank you for all the good advice.

I feel so outdated about all this. But now, my son is telling me to look for sterile, flouridated water that they buy to mix with the baby formula. Seem ridiculous to me, but is anything like that available here, by any chance?

Sure is easier to breastfeed, isn't it?

Jan 5, 2006
The only water that is safe for mixing baby formula in DR is "Orbis" (name brand). It's not fluoridated, but the baby will be fine without the added fluorine for her vacation. ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Advice given so far is very, very good. Orbis can be found at most supermarkets.
Most bottled water will do for formula.

Kids are special and grandkids the best of all.

HB

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks, again, for all the good advice!

Don't hesitate to shoot more my way if there is anything else I should know. Other considerations I thought about concerned a need for mosquito netting over the crib, dangers of over exposure to the sun (the pediatrician said NOT to use sunscreen- seemed counter-intuitive to me), and whether it is ill-advised to spray a baby with insect repellent.

Jan 5, 2006
There are some insect repellent sprays that are ok to use for babies. They are made from eucaliptus and orange peel extract, I believe. Just ask mom or dad to bring some from home, as it's easier than finding it in DR. We also use a small, battery powered electronic gadget that seems to work well in combination with the netting and the spray.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My youngest grandson is now 5 months and he gets NO insect repellent at all. There are natural repellents, and I am sure that the parents could find some if they looked. Most Dominicans (not Doms!!) use mosquito netting around the cribs.
A nine month old is a handful...and girls are more active than guys at that age...

I would check, but I think that sun screens might work well as a bug repellent...they do for us...

Enjoy..

HB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Insect repellants and sunscreens are NOT recommended

as they will be absorbed into the body of the infant and can do more harm than good.

That said go to your nearest outdoor store or golf store and buy some of the citronella patches that can be attached to clothing (or blanket/pillow/bedsides) to ward off insects/mosquitos. They stay effective for 4-6 days and usually come in a package of 6 (so enough for a month- I think I paid around $4./pk for mine).

Also use a mosquito net around crib at night.

Make sure baby wears a hat and long cotton pants and if possible long sleeves and by all means use an umbrella (you can buy clip on ones for small chairs/strollers at walmart) to keep the sun off baby.

I camped in the back woods of Ontario (read mosquito country) with all my kids when they were under one yr ols and never had any problems (even with clouds of black flies - they're much nastier than mosquitos!)

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks to all your good advice. I found here in Sosua the Orbis water. I found Enfamil Pro-Sobee powder. I found the Pampers. I know how to sterilize the bottles. If the pediatrician says it is now safe to use sunscreen, we will do that and hope it, too, wards off the mosquitoes. I will have my husband look for the citronella patches at the golf course. (Are they available here in the DR?)

I still need the mosquito net for the crib. I think I will have to go to Puerto Plata for that.

We will take the good advice, use a hat, and cover the little arms and legs(and feet, too!)

Now, any of you want to come to Sosua and do the night shift for me? Ha! Ha!

Again, thanks!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thanks to all your good advice. I found here in Sosua the Orbis water. I found Enfamil Pro-Sobee powder. I found the Pampers. I know how to sterilize the bottles. If the pediatrician says it is now safe to use sunscreen, we will do that and hope it, too, wards off the mosquitoes. I will have my husband look for the citronella patches at the golf course. (Are they available here in the DR?)

I still need the mosquito net for the crib. I think I will have to go to Puerto Plata for that.

We will take the good advice, use a hat, and cover the little arms and legs(and feet, too!)

Now, any of you want to come to Sosua and do the night shift for me? Ha! Ha!

Again, thanks!

If you own your house ht best solution for the mosquito problems is having screens installed. Trust me this is one of the best investments one can make for one's home.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You can buy special sunscreen and repellent for babies. Brands of repellent include Johnsons and Mustela and they can be found in most baby aisles in supermarkets and pharmacies, as well as baby sunscreen in the sun protection section.

Aug 21, 2007
You are all giving me very good advice. Some screens are on the house. But, sometimes, I just plane like leaving all the doors open!

I went to Playero and found the Johnson's lotion with mosquito repellent. Thanks for the tip.

Any other advice is welcome.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The only problem I find about using sunscreens is that some have some pretty nasty stuff, even though they are for "children" and therefore have apprehension that at some point down the road they will say that it causes cancer or some side effect - don't laugh - it happens all of the time!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Gotta agree with Chris on the sunscreen!

Also I didn't realize you were in the DR when I suggested the umbrella at Walmart.

One small note about flouridated water.......perhaps use the google search function to learn more about flouridation.
We go to rather extreme measures to make sure the water we drink is NOT flouridated!! Seems like cancer and floride are great friends.....:surprised