Bio meat (pork)?

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
When you say "Bio", do you mean organic? I believe that's the equivalent terminology in Europe but not sure.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
. . . and (properly speaking) not treated with any drugs for worms, or other diseases . . .

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Yeah . . . good point . . . but those are really mostly like supplements and inorganic chemicals. I guess I should have said ". . . properly speaking no medications" -- althought that still isn't quite right. There are degreesof organic too -- depends on what level you aspire to.

N

naturelover

pig%20-%20dancing%20with%20callout%20clear-web.gif

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Sure Hope That Is Not The "Beginning Of The END" For Dominican Pork!

In the USA, "PORK", The OTHER White Meat", has become a dry tasteless piece of "Fiberboard"!
At least the pork in the DR is still "marbled" with a lot of good Ol' F-A-T!!

And thusly with F-L-A-V-O-R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
In the USA, "PORK", The OTHER White Meat", has become a dry tasteless piece of "Fiberboard"!
At least the pork in the DR is still "marbled" with a lot of good Ol' F-A-T!!

And thusly with F-L-A-V-O-R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Yes, you are so right. Less than 2 weeks and I'll have that good D.R. BBQ pork roast

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
going back to the subject, i don't see how you could get "organic" pork in DR as they are no regulatory system in place, for local meat. Maybe Santo Domingo has stores that import organic meat but I have not seen any so far. I would suggest to buy piglets and let them roam free in your backyard for a couple years eating your leftovers.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Raised A "Piglet" In My Yard In Santo Domingo!

The neighbor call the "Board-of-Health", now THERE is a joke!
Anyway,it won't take 2 years,more like 8 months! It weighed over 100 lbs. when we ate him!
Problem waS,i FED HIM CORN,AND THAT WAS ALL HE WOULD EAT! tHE MEAT WAS TOO LEAN!
I gave the neighbor a "Pierna",and he was happy!
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
I agree, pork is definatly the best meat here, very tasty, so I don't see the point of selling organic meat, plus apperently it sells for 130 pesos/lb.If some of you trys it, let us know

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
going back to the subject, i don't see how you could get "organic" pork in DR as they are no regulatory system in place, for local meat. Maybe Santo Domingo has stores that import organic meat but I have not seen any so far. I would suggest to buy piglets and let them roam free in your backyard for a couple years eating your leftovers.
I suspect that it's imported, and if it's not, then it's no more credible than the label on Crissol that says it's 100% pure soya.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I agree, pork is definatly the best meat here, very tasty, so I don't see the point of selling organic meat, plus apperently it sells for 130 pesos/lb.If some of you trys it, let us know

The point of eating organic is that the animal for slaughter has not had any chemical additions to their food and they are not brought up on 'medicine', or growth hormones. Having said that, there are various types of diseases in the DR that pigs get - just 'cause they are pigs. So, to have organic pork, one would have to find alternatives for the inoculations and medicines that the animals get. The little ones get their first chemical inoculations the minute they are born and if I remember correctly, every six weeks thereafter.

One would also have to have a very healthy herd, as many of the parasites are symbiotic. In other words, in a healthy animal, there is a normal balance, so the parasites live happily, without causing any harm. In a not so healthy animal they cause disease - and this is usually chemically treated.

There are prescribed organic regimes for raising pigs. I don't know if anyone is raising organic pigs in the DR. I do know of organic goats.

The other point is that organic meat is way healthier than an animal that was brought up 'chemically'. It tastes way better too!

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
The point of eating organic is that the animal for slaughter has not had any chemical additions to their food and they are not brought up on 'medicine', or growth hormones. Having said that, there are various types of diseases in the DR that pigs get - just 'cause they are pigs. So, to have organic pork, one would have to find alternatives for the inoculations and medicines that the animals get. The little ones get their first chemical inoculations the minute they are born and if I remember correctly, every six weeks thereafter.

One would also have to have a very healthy herd, as many of the parasites are symbiotic. In other words, in a healthy animal, there is a normal balance, so the parasites live happily, without causing any harm. In a not so healthy animal they cause disease - and this is usually chemically treated.

There are prescribed organic regimes for raising pigs. I don't know if anyone is raising organic pigs in the DR. I do know of organic goats.

The other point is that organic meat is way healthier than an animal that was brought up 'chemically'. It tastes way better too!

Agree 100%. It is a lot easier to find organic goats, lambs or cows than pigs as people tend to "park" their pigs in small enclosures until they get big enough for food. Like the other species, the key to have a healthy herd of pigs is free roaming, on non-chemically treated grounds, of course... Pigs will give you the best organic fertilizer you can get as well.