Easy way to ship goods here from Canada

Wendle

Aug 22, 2007
Just a quick bit of info for those who may be interested.

I found this company run by a Dominican guy his name is Valentin, who sends consolidated container shipments from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal to the DR. He does door to door service. He picks up the goods from your location in Ontario and gets them to your door here in the DR. No worrying about customs documents, no waiting at the port... Nada they take care of everything. Lots of Dominicans in Ontario are using him to ship their goods to family here! The company is S&S Shipping, saw ad in spanish newspaper in Toronto. You can send food and used clothes in boxes or drums for no extra duty...just ship cost. I think the next shipment is Nov 15.

He told me they ship everything from cars to appliances to food etc..He will quote you a final price no little extras to worry about!

If you want to contact them their numbers are 1?888?333?1318 or 416?737?6845 or 613?808?0148. I am sending 3 drums of stuff!

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I've used a similar company I think it was called something like Hispanolia Shipping, was run by a Dominican guy called Alexander.
Not sure if they are still around though...
And it's not too easy to be true...well the one I used before was the exact same thing, and it worked great.

Wendle...Please let us know how it goes once it's done!! Very interested to hear!!

Thanks

N

naturelover

how do they now how much its going to cost to get through customs or do you only find out when it arrives

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Not sure how that works.
Possibly since they are a company that ships things they have a pre-arranged set up with customs.
The only thing that costs more is if you are shipping electronic items, which I believe since they do it often enough, they have an idea what it will cost, and they charge you that flat rate.
Anyways I'm sure if you call the numbers and ask them, they will be able to give you a better description than me.
I wasn't the one paying, it was my parents sending me things when I lived down there...so unfortunately I don't know on the paying end how that worked exactly.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
He picks up the goods from your location in Ontario and gets them to your door here in the DR.

I am sending 3 drums of stuff!
(boldening mine)

Wendle, where are you? Only you refer to 'here' in DR, then say you are sending 3 drums. So does the service also apply from DR to Canada? i.e. you are sending 3 drums from DR to Canada?

Wendle

Aug 22, 2007
How I shipped EASILY from Canada

I am here in Puerto Plata and my family sent 2 boxes full of food, clothes, books, household stuff etc...they cost $140 per box to ship plus $6 for the actual box. The box is 24x24x24. He dropped the boxes off at my families house in Ottawa, picked them up at a later date and delivered it to me here in Puerto Plata. They had to itemize evrything in the box but NO PROBLEM AT ALL!!!!

I spoke with him and I will be sending 3 drums here in the next shipment Nov 15th at $160 each. The thing I like is that the price for me and the price for my Dominican friend in Toronto was EXACTLY the same...None of this one price for you another for the gringo. My friend in Toronto is going to be sending a number of fridges here with him to Santo Domingo and he quoted him the final price out of customs. He offers insurance too!!! So things in Toronto and Ottawa for gringos and dominicans were the same...we tested him! Believe me my Dominican friend tried to work a better deal but he was really honest saying he would grant a deal if quantities were higher but one or two boxes was the same for everyone! He seems like a really good guy! He speaks english and Spanish fluently so no translation problems!!!

Electronics are kinda expensive but he will give you a definite price on the items you want to send. TV?s up to 24? are not so bad but when you want to send 42?flat screens they get pricey. Can?t remember exactly the price he quoted me...His prices were OK compared to anything else I?ve found... He will bring in commercial goods for you too. He?ll give you the breakdown on each items duty and I know he?s working with a few guys who have big business?here bringing their goods. So it must work for them! I got quotes on a few things I wanted to bring to sell... Not BAD! I expected worse...

I asked him about the Alexander guy and he said he is no longer shipping from Canada. He said their is another guy in GTA area doing it but he has a bad rep for mysteriously losing stuff and shipments always get postponed!

He has guys in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Santo Domingo, and Puerto Plata. Call him and see what you all think...It worked for me last time without any problem, I wasn?t missing anything in boxes.. and I didn?t have to pay anything EXTRA!!!

Let me know if anyone has any problems but so far so good!!!
Just a thought since Christmas is getting close and you all might need a little bit of home for the holidays!!!

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Thanks for checking on the company I previously used.

I called the number and it was out of service.

I had no problems when we used him.

My parents used the service twice, once to sent household items when I was settling in, incld a fairly large flat screen TV, DVD player and CD player.

It was sent in a large barrel they purchased...(the size of a wheel barrel). It was FULL of house items besides the electronics, and as I can find, the cost of all this incld the cost for electronics was around $200 cdn.

The only draw back whatsoever was the delivery, was about 1 week late, due to some customs delay. However, I checked all the items against a very detailed list my parents sent, and every last bit they sent was there.

However, since it appears they are no longer in business, as mentioned before, if it's alright with you, I will check back on my next move, to see your further reports on how this company did with your shipment! :)

The positives with this barrel they used, was that we filled it with water, so whenever our building lost water, we had this for backup...lol...

momsylou

Jan 9, 2008
Can anyone help me? I'm trying to ship a barrel to Puerta Plata and I'm having trouble finding a reasonable price with carriers. I tried the guy mentioned up top S&S Shipping and his mailbox is full and he is not answering his phone? Thoughts ideas? I'm trying to send it asap for family. Thanks

A

apostropheman

Try Peralta Bros shipping - Toronto 416-722-4107, 416-859-2042 OR MONTREAL 514-787-9338, and yes they have a website.PERALTA BROS. SHIPPING
Thanks Bob.

I'm looking at sending some "personal" type items that are too heavy and/or bulky to carry on take on the plane. Things like paperback books, clothes and perhaps kitchen utensils, pots, pans. No electronics.

Do you know offhand if they supply the boxes in the price and if so would one have to go pick them up if living out of town?

$300 for 2 24x24x24 boxes seems a decent size and price IF they are reliable.

I guess it might be easier and cheaper to just go buy a couple of 24x24x24 boxes from U-haul if you don't live close to their warehouse.

I don't see any mention of "barrels" on their site.
Do you know if they use and supply those also, or just boxes.

If not, no sweat, I'll call them and ask.

Thanks.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm not recomemding them, or dissing them either. My wife talked to them on the phone once but we never used them, yet. Let me know what you find out.

sascha

Oct 4, 2007
still in business?

Just a quick bit of info for those who may be interested.

I found this company run by a Dominican guy his name is Valentin, who sends consolidated container shipments from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal to the DR. He does door to door service. He picks up the goods from your location in Ontario and gets them to your door here in the DR. No worrying about customs documents, no waiting at the port... Nada they take care of everything. Lots of Dominicans in Ontario are using him to ship their goods to family here! The company is S&S Shipping, saw ad in spanish newspaper in Toronto. You can send food and used clothes in boxes or drums for no extra duty...just ship cost. I think the next shipment is Nov 15.

He told me they ship everything from cars to appliances to food etc..He will quote you a final price no little extras to worry about!

If you want to contact them their numbers are 1?888?333?1318 or 416?737?6845 or 613?808?0148. I am sending 3 drums of stuff!

does anyone know if this company is still in business? i called all the numbers listed above and either recieved an automated message saying that the voice mailbox was full, the phone was out of service or the line just kept ringing with no answer or voicemail.

if anyone has any updated contact numbers for this company, please let me know. thanks!!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
does anyone know if this company is still in business? i called all the numbers listed above and either recieved an automated message saying that the voice mailbox was full, the phone was out of service or the line just kept ringing with no answer or voicemail.

if anyone has any updated contact numbers for this company, please let me know. thanks!!

I would be most leary of a company whose mailbox was full, out of service or no VM...that should be the first clue so tread with caution.

As much as it feels great to save a buck and get a good deal, I would sooner pay a bit more and go with a reputable company instead of some fly-by-nighter!

Good luck!

KaliEyes

May 1, 2008
Recent Reputable Info

Does anyone have any recent shipping experiences from Canada to the DR?

Can anyone who has had success update the rest of us on which company, contact info, shipping costs and length of time for arrival to the recipient?

I'm looking at sending some things, but have NO CLUE about shipping. And it seems that there's no proof of reputation and reliability for those companies already mentioned in this thread.

Also, if I want to donate to DR residents, but no one in specific does anyone know to whom I can address my donations to? Or...if you know someone who needs some things, let me know.

How much can I send via Canada Post - not that I would neccessarily use them for larger packages, but for smaller ones. Does anyone know how long it takes to ship a large envelope via Canada Post to the DR?

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
I have yet to have anything through Canada Post EVER arrive at its destination. You need to use a courier so it is tracked and insured. It is very costly though.

KaliEyes

May 1, 2008
Has ANYONE had success via Canada Post? And if so, did you have it insured and/or tracked? Any stories please!

And what about the US Postal service? Same questions to those who are from the US!