Exchange rate for cheques

drroyal2000

Aug 22, 2004
Can anyone tell me the exchange rate for travellers cheque at the sosua markets on the street. The canadian one and the US one. I want to change a big amount before I leave, I am going for 5 month.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You would be much better off with a debit card on your Canadian bank. Travellers checks are often used as part of a scam, so some exchange houses do not like them so much.

I do not think any of the major exchange houses will change a "big amount" without a lot of personal information and guarantees...they are naturally suspicious, as they should be.
Just get a debit card and live off of US$500 a day like normal people do..

HB

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
My experience with USD travellers cheques the last few years in Sosua at the cambios not the banks themselves was usually what was posted on the board outside and occasionally a few pesos less.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
. . . but I agree the debit card is the good way to go. We take traveller's cheques only as a reserve for when the bank machines are out of money or U/S for some reason.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
exchange CDN v USD

Traveler's checques, today, from my favorite money changer.
US 33.30
CDN 34.40

Which one is that? (. . . and how nice to see CDN over USD even if it's not as much as the international money markets have it.)