How do I get a dominican visa credit card

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You need to get a US$ credit card. Most banks here use their Panamanian branches to handle the cards.

Go to any local bank here and apply. If you don't have any credit history, they might only allow you to get a secured card, up to the 70% of your secured deposit.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
US$ = US dollar card, not a card from a US bank.

As I explained in my post, you need a US$ credit card to play online poker. You cannot use a local RD$, they are not accepted outside of the DR and online poker companies will not accept a RD$ credit card.

Now go back and read my post again :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Read my 1st post again....

"Go to any local bank here and apply. If you don't have any credit history, they might only allow you to get a secured card, up to the 70% of your secured deposit".

If it sucks in the DR, then they will only offer a secured card. If it sucks outside of the DR, then usually they don't care as they don't check. They only use the local DR credit scoring agencies.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
So where is this bank? I am in cabarete.

Oh boy! Listen to Robert's advice, READ HIS FIRST POST ON THIS THREAD!!!

Robert said, "Go to any local bank here and apply" so do just that! ANY LOCAL BANK! That would be Banco Popular, Banco Leon, Banco de Reserva, Citibank, ect, ect.... Your best bet is Banco Leon for a secured (prepaid)VISA card. They call it Prepago Leon. You can use it ANYWHERE VISA is accepted and you can use up to the FULL amount you have deposited in the account associated with the prepago Leon card.

The way it works is: you open an account and pay a small fee for the card (~RD$75) the limit on the card is the amount you have on deposit. You deposit RD peso and you can charge either US$ (subject to their exchange rate for the day the charge is posted) or RD$ like a normal VISA credit card up to your FULL amount on deposit. For all intent an purposes the VISA prepago Leon is just like a Dominican international credit card (US$ can be billed to it).

NotLurKing

EDIT: Here is the link to Banco Leon Prepago card
Raz?n para Creer

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well, thats fine, my credit sucks, how can i get around that?

My understanding is that the only way to get a bad credit rating is to not pay one's debts on time, or worse yet, not at all.
Be that the case, why would anyone expect to be given credit again?
Isn't that what credit ratings are all about?
To prevent those who don't pay their debts, from getting further credit?

Sep 19, 2005
robert just go pick him up in your car and drive him to the bank...and make sure all his paper work is filled out correctly and if need be CO-SIGN for him!!

( in my best AZB impersonation)

ha ha

bob

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
My understanding is that the only way to get a bad credit rating is to not pay one's debts on time, or worse yet, not at all.
Be that the case, why would anyone expect to be given credit again?
Isn't that what credit ratings are all about?
To prevent those who don't pay their debts, from getting further credit?

He or she can always start again via a secure card.

I do some credit counseling as a side business. Any bank can issue a secure card to anyone as long as there is a deposit made. When the bank thinks you are ready, you will get your deposit back + interest and an unsecure card. This will take from 1 to 2 years.

hidden agenda

Aug 4, 2007
He or she can always start again via a secure card.

I do some credit counseling as a side business. Any bank can issue a secure card to anyone as long as there is a deposit made. When the bank thinks you are ready, you will get your deposit back + interest and an unsecure card. This will take from 1 to 2 years.

Boy, you guys sure are judgmental for living in the DR, but I guess I wouldnt expect much more for people.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Boy, you guys sure are judgmental for living in the DR, but I guess I wouldnt expect much more for people.

I do not live in DR for starters. Secondly, I am posting some positive advice on getting your credit back on track.

You are damn if you do and damn if you don't. Go figure.:surprised