UTESA Industrial Engineer Graduates

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
A friend of mine will graduate soon from UTESA and has asked me the following questions in an e-mail this morning.

I gave him my response based on 3 years working in Santiago. If anyone else feels you can contribute based on your experience your responses will be appreciated. I will send him a link to the thread.

1) What's the word on UTESA as a university?
2) In your experience, what do you think of UTESA graduates?
3) Have you worked with some Industrial Engineers who've graduated from UTESA?
4) What did you think about their level of technical knowledge?
5) Were they efficient people?
6) How were they compared to graduates from other schools?
7) Do you think their performance was due to their education, or their own personality, stupidity, lack of willingness to learn, etc? Or was it just they didn't know what to do?

My responses:
What's the word on UTESA as a university?
MY GENERAL UNDERSTANDING IS THAT PUCMM IS PERCEIVED TO HAVE A BETTER EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM.
In your experience, what do you think of UTESA graduates?
I ALWAYS TENDED TO HIRE & PROMOTE BASED ON THE PERSON & THEIR CAPABILITIES, NOT WHERE THEY WENT TO SCHOOL. THERE WERE GOOD & BAD FROM UTESA.
Have you worked with some Industrial Engineers who've graduated from UTESA?
YES.
What did you think about their level of technical knowledge?
IT DEPENDS 100% ON THE PERSON, NOT WHERE THEY WENT TO SCHOOL. IN GENERAL, I WAS DISAPPOINTED BY THE LACK OF ABILITY TO APPLY THEORIES LEARNED TO THE ACTUAL WORK ENVIRONMENT.
Where they efficient people?
IT DEPENDS 100% ON THE PERSON, NOT WHERE THEY WENT TO SCHOOL. MOST INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERS I ENCOUNTERED IN DR HAD BASIC KNOWLEDGE OF THEORIES OF EFFICIENCY, BUT HAD DIFFICULTY APPLYING THEM IN THE WORK PLACE TO ACHIEVE IMPROVED EFFICIENCIES.
How were they compared to graduates from other schools?
THEY WERE EQUALLY AS GOOD AND EQUALLY AS BAD.
A GOOD SCHOOL DOES NOT TURN A STUPID OR LAZY PERSON INTO A GOOD EMPLOYEE. IT ONLY GIVES THEM A DEGREE FROM A 'BETTER' SCHOOL
Do you think their performance was due to their education, or their own personality, stupidity, lack of willingness to learn, etc? Or was it just they didn't know what to do?
AN INTELLIGENT/AGGRESSIVE STUDENT/WORKER BENEFITS FROM THE BEST POSSIBLE EDUCATION. THEY LEARN AND RETAIN KNOWLEDGE, THEN BUILD ON IT LATER WITH EXPERIENCE. AN INTELLIGENT, AGGRESSIVE PERSON MAY BE INITIALLY DELAYED IF THEY HAVE AN INFERIOR EDUCATION, BUT THEY WILL EVENTUALLY SURPASS THOSE WHO ARE NOT AS SMART OR HARD WORKING.
JOB PERFORMANCE IN MY EXPERIENCE IS BASED ON TWO THINGS:
1) INTELLIGENCE / COMMON SENSE / ABILITY TO CONTINUE LEARNING FROM EXPERIENCE
2) A DESIRE TO WORK HARD, SACRIFICE PERSONAL LIFE TO GET THE JOB DONE
THE BEST WORKERS HAVE BOTH OF THESE QUALITIES.
'OKAY' WORKERS HAVE ONE OR THE OTHER. EITHER QUALITY IS SUFFICIENT TO MAKE A VERY GOOD EMPLOYEE.
BAD EMPLOYEES HAVE NEITHER OF THESE QUALITIES

I FAILED TO MENTION - PERSONALITY/ATTITUDE/INTEGRITY ALSO PLAY A LARGE PART IN THE QUALITY OF AN EMPLOYEE.

AS A GENERAL NOTE: I FOUND A LOT OF INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERS WHO WERE NOT TRULY ABLE TO CALCULATE EFFICIENCY IN THE WORK PLACE, AND MANY WHO DID LITTLE TO IMPROVE OPERATIONAL EFFICIENCIES.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
From my understanding the lack of ability to apply learned practices in college is more cultural than anything, ie, critical thinking and a strong work ethic aren't as valued here in the DR as in most Western countries and therefore these kids aren't taught this when young nor really expected to develop these qualities. However, for those exceptional few that are aggressive, they will learn regardless.