Coming down to find out about living near Puerto Plata

fia

Nov 6, 2007
My boyfriend and I are coming down to Puerto Plata on the 13th for a week. We are possibly moving down there for 6 months and are looking into the details. We've got 3 big dogs, anyone have tips on finding a place to rent? We need internet access, AC and probably at least 2 bedrooms.

What can we expect to pay for a place down there? In a gated community? Or not? We don't care if we're on the beach...

Thanks!
Fia

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I suggest the first thing you do is a search of the site. There have been several threads lately addressing living here. Once you have read those then come back with your other questions. You will be more informed and have a better idea of what to ask next.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
My wife and I live in Puerto Plata in a non gated community. We love it. In our neigbhorhood we have few Americans and Englishmen, German, Dominican's and Haitians. New construction is all over the place. We are close to things we need, store, hospital, water, codetel. We have DSL and AC. Let me know if you are interested in looking around where we live and perhaps we can meet up. We are at the base of Mt Isabel in Puerto Plata. We enjoy the mountian and ocean views.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My boyfriend and I are coming down to Puerto Plata on the 13th for a week. We are possibly moving down there for 6 months and are looking into the details. We've got 3 big dogs, anyone have tips on finding a place to rent? We need internet access, AC and probably at least 2 bedrooms.

What can we expect to pay for a place down there? In a gated community? Or not? We don't care if we're on the beach...

Thanks!
Fia
You may also want to look at Sosua & Cabarete.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
....or Costambar...
Very close to POP, and I have seen quite a few decent places advertised at really great prices.

fia

Nov 6, 2007
My wife and I live in Puerto Plata in a non gated community. We love it. In our neigbhorhood we have few Americans and Englishmen, German, Dominican's and Haitians. New construction is all over the place. We are close to things we need, store, hospital, water, codetel. We have DSL and AC. Let me know if you are interested in looking around where we live and perhaps we can meet up. We are at the base of Mt Isabel in Puerto Plata. We enjoy the mountian and ocean views.

Thanks! We were hoping to meet people down there to answer some of the questions we have and to see what type of places you can live in. We're thinking of moving as early as January so it doesn't feel like much time!

We don't really know much about the area, we were down there a few years ago and went to Puerto Plata and Sosua, but don't remember too much. We'll be renting a car so it would be great to meet people who could help us out and share their experiences!

Saw Rocky's message, what is the main difference between Sosua, Puerto Plata & Cabarete?

Also, is it a big deal to have 3 big dogs down there? I see there are a lot of condos but I'm not sure if that would work??

Thanks for the replies!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks! We were hoping to meet people down there to answer some of the questions we have and to see what type of places you can live in. We're thinking of moving as early as January so it doesn't feel like much time!

We don't really know much about the area, we were down there a few years ago and went to Puerto Plata and Sosua, but don't remember too much. We'll be renting a car so it would be great to meet people who could help us out and share their experiences!

Saw Rocky's message, what is the main difference between Sosua, Puerto Plata & Cabarete?

Also, is it a big deal to have 3 big dogs down there? I see there are a lot of condos but I'm not sure if that would work??

Thanks for the replies!
The dogs would be difficult in a condo.
More likely, you will have to find a house with some land for the dogs.
Personally I don't like Puerto Plata, but everyone has a different opinion.
Most of the expats live in or close to Sosua & Cabarete.

fia

Nov 6, 2007
....or Costambar...
Very close to POP, and I have seen quite a few decent places advertised at really great prices.

Thanks. What is a really great price? I have seen the posting about pricing for a 1 br condo. What about a 2+Br and a smaller villa as opposed to a condo? Just thinking of the dogs...

So far I have seen a wide range of prices but I know things aren't as expensive when you can check it out down there. Can anyone give a price range to expect?