Unlimited Calling from US to DR

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Hello,
A while back I seen a thread regarding a service that charges a fixed monthly fee to call from the US to the DR. You dial a 1-800 number. It was like $30 or $40 dollars a month for unlimited calls. I have tried searching for this thread which contains a link to the website offering the service and cant find it. Any help would be appreciated. Also has anyone used this service? Thanks

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Thanks Elvis. Thats actually different than the thread i was referring to. I will look into this one as well. Thanks

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Yes i seen that fine print as well. I sent an email earlier today to Commex to confirm if the service only covers landlines in the DR. Have yet to receive a response. But even if it only covers landlines it is still worth it to me for $30 a month. As long as the service is what they say it is. I am averaging over $60 month on calling cards anyway.

Boricuajoe

Dec 30, 2004
This may help some

Optimum Online from Cablevision in New York offers cable TV, high speed internet and phone service to it's subscribers for $99. They also provide international calling for an additional fee of $20 US, for which they allow 250 minutes per month. If the 250 minutes is exceeded they will bill an additional $20 and tack on another 250 minutes.

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Gracia BoricuaJoe,
Im in Staten Island though. The Forgotten Borough. Only verizon and time warner here. Aside from that i really need the luxury of making calls from my cell phone outside of the house.=-)

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Gracia BoricuaJoe,
Im in Staten Island though. The Forgotten Borough. Only verizon and time warner here. Aside from that i really need the luxury of making calls from my cell phone outside of the house.=-)

Open a voicestick.com account - You can make calls to the DR from a cell phone through a feature they have called i bridge.

Its about 5 cents(min) to call a landline, about 10 cents to call a mobile. No connection fee, no weekly fees like the calling cards. Good customer service. No codes to enter. I have used it for over a year. It has a lot of options and you dont have to commit to a plan with their pay as you go feature. When I am in the DR, I give my friends/family/business accociates in the USA my local NY voicestick number and the calls are forwarded to my DR cell using their international call fowarding feature. Like Vonage you can take the actual adaptor to the DR if you had high speed in the DR or you can bring a usb stick and easily use it in any high speed call center. The quality is not as good as vonage, but the ibridge feature is a very good thing Vonage does not have.

VoiceStick.com - Low International Phone Rates

ps - I still use a calling card if I know It will be a very long call. The best one right now in the NY area (even staten island) is "La Tarjetica"

A

apostropheman

thanks!

voicestick looks pretty good! too bad that it's not "free" to call to the DR like it is with many other locations that they offer. still it looks great!

gets pretty positive reviews too
VoiceStick.com - Product Reviews

any comment on the equipment they offer re: head sets with the yearly plan?

$0.0875 cents/minute to call from Canada to a DR cell is a lot less that i pay now! ($0.0355 c/m to a landline!)

i need to do more research but this looks like what i've been seaching for!

A

apostropheman

assuming :cheeky: that the sound quality is good enough, etc, etc...

it really does seem like a good deal. i think i'll signup and give it a go! i already have a laptop/computer, Broadband internet and headset and that's really all that is required.

no need for a monthly plan, especially since the DR is NOT included in their "free" LD calls...but a lot of other places are. one of the plans may be better if you do a lot of overseas calls to places that they do not charge for though.

for me using the "next2nothing" pay-as-you-go plan would seem the best.

$0.02 cents/minute to anywhere in the,
i'm guessing continental, USA and Canada
$0.105 c/m to a DR cell phone
$0.0426 c/m to a DR landline

the basic prepaid monthly plan is $19.99

the LD rates to the DR, to a cell phone, are about $0.02 c/m cheaper and calls to N/A are "free"

"Ultimate USA & Canada Plan"
$0.0855 c/m to a DR cell
$0.0355 to a DR landline

still since the cheapest monthly plan is $19.99 AND you still have to pay for the DR regardless; unless you normally call long distance in North America and/or the DR for at least 1000 minutes combined it's better to pay-as-you-go.

also, for the Canadians, the "real number" that you get assigned seems to be either in the USA or United Kingdom with no apparent option for a number in Canada...which might not be the perfect solution as anyone calling you from Canada would have to pay LD charges...but that's their problem :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

i'll post about how good/bad i find it to be once i've had a chance to use it for a bit.

Last edited:

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
assuming :cheeky: that the sound quality is good enough, etc, etc...

it really does seem like a good deal. i think i'll signup and give it a go! i already have a laptop/computer, Broadband internet and headset and that's really all that is required.

no need for a monthly plan, especially since the DR is NOT included in their "free" LD calls...but a lot of other places are. one of the plans may be better if you do a lot of overseas calls to places that they do not charge for though.

for me using the "next2nothing" pay-as-you-go plan would seem the best.

$0.02 cents/minute to anywhere in the,
i'm guessing continental, USA and Canada
$0.105 c/m to a DR cell phone
$0.0426 c/m to a DR landline

the basic prepaid monthly plan is $19.99

the LD rates to the DR, to a cell phone, are about $0.02 c/m cheaper and calls to N/A are "free"

"Ultimate USA & Canada Plan"
$0.0855 c/m to a DR cell
$0.0355 to a DR landline

still since the cheapest monthly plan is $19.99 AND you still have to pay for the DR regardless; unless you normally call long distance in North America and/or the DR for at least 1000 minutes combined it's better to pay-as-you-go.

also, for the Canadians, the "real number" that you get assigned seems to be either in the USA or United Kingdom with no apparent option for a number in Canada...which might not be the perfect solution as anyone calling you from Canada would have to pay LD charges...but that's their problem :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

i'll post about how good/bad i find it to be once i've had a chance to use it for a bit.

A couple times they overcharged the minutes(they always are quick to credit back), so a little tip: Make sure the other party hangs up first so you get charged the proper minutes. The quality is ok, I think Vonage is better, but you cant beat that ibridge feature.

MoMow

Mar 30, 2008
I have used voicestick for over two years. 95% of the time they have the best rates, and the call quality is very good.

Customer support has just been very good to me. They seem to be a small company. I typicaly deal with the same people when I call, never a wait.