A New Fashion? Doms?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Is it only me or are others finding it a little disconcerting when Dominicans are referred to as 'Doms' on the board? I see it around just lately and I don't like it!

Btw, for those of you who don't go into the clown bin much, there is a great shadow puppet video clip here

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I guess it is used as a shortcut.

When I first heard "dom-yorks", I thought they were talking about dumb New Yorkers. I then realized they meant Dominicans from NY.;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Buena pregunta....

Is it only me or are others finding it a little disconcerting when Dominicans are referred to as 'Doms' on the board? I see it around just lately and I don't like it!
Great question, Christa.

I have an American friend who says that whomever calls Dominicans "Doms" (meaning dummy) lacks education, compassion and is an ignorant person.

I, on the other hand, consider the source.

See, there are MANY Dominicans that because they know they are better educated than those who utter that word, are not bothered by it.

Again, SOME of those Dominicans just consider the source.

Btw: SOME people do NOT use it wanting to mean "dummy".

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I do this because I am getting to lazy to spell it out. So as to not offend I promise to add a period at the end so as not to confuse people. I assume abbr. are ok :). Aslo, I never use this term when talking about Doms.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Great question, Chiporelly....

I have an American friend who says that whomever calls Dominicans "Doms" (meaning dummy) lacks education, compassion and is an ignorant person.

See, Chip, there are MANY Dominicans that because they know they are better educated than those who utter that word, are not bothered by it.

Again, SOME of those Dominicans just consider the source.

Freudian slip? - Chris...Chip, hahah.

Miguel, I'm actually the prime culprit!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Great question, Chiporelly....

See, Chip, there are MANY Dominicans that because they know they are better educated than those who utter that word, are not bothered by it.

Again, SOME of those Dominicans who consider the source.
Doms meaning dummy?
I never used it that way, nor understood it to mean that from anywhere I read or heard it said.
Is that what it means to you, when you hear the word?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Doms meaning dummy?
I never used it that way, nor understood it to mean that from anywhere I read or heard it said.

Dumb is what I think yes .. and then I have to read the post and usually there is no harm meant. But there are so many derogatory names for sets of people .. so, hence my question .. does it bother others? Would it bother a Dominican?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Dumb is what I think yes .. and then I have to read the post and usually there is no harm meant. But there are so many derogatory names for sets of people .. so, hence my question .. does it bother others? Would it bother a Dominican?
Well, it sounds innocent to me, but I'll go with the general consensus, whatever that is.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Depends in the context its being used in, but I tend to think there is a negative element at work here.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Mas vieja que el diablazooooo......

Doms meaning dummy?
"BrotherRock", this is NOT a "new fashion".....

I used to hear that word back in Junior High School....And don't forget I am NOT a "spring chicken".

It was used to make fun of Dominicans.....Calling them "dumb/dummy".

TRUST me, MANY here use that word and when they do, they DO mean to say "dummy".

Now, Christa, if you want an answer:

Now, as I Dominican born, it doesn't bother me.

Why?:......2 reasons:

1- The source "thing" and,

2- "Stick and stones will break my bones, but words (and ignorance) won't hurt me".

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
"BrotherRock", this is NOT a "new fashion".....

I used to hear that word back in Junior High School....And don't forget I am NOT a "spring chicken".

It was used to make fun of Dominicans.....Calling them "dumb/dummy".
Well if that's the case, we should no longer use it.
It would be like using the "N" word.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Dejame explicartelo......

Well if that's the case, we should no longer use it.
It would be like using the "N" word.
Listen, the reality is that MANY do NOT know the poster's intent because they do NOT know what the poster is trying to say.

But, they are NOT fooling a person who knows what they truly mean.

Granted, MANY do it without trying to malicious.

If you believe that when a poster writes "Those dom yorks only know chopos like them, they don't know how to dress, are all stupid and the only places they frequent are colmadones, carwashes and puta hangouts", that he/she doesn't mean "dummy", then you better believe I am 6'3 with blue eyes and blond hair....Hahahaha!.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm changing my vote to let the word stand.
I just searched the word and came up with 123 posts.
I didn't check every single one, but at least 1/4, if not more, and nowhere did anyone even remotely come close to use it in the context of meaning dumb.
Each time, it was nothing but an abbreviation, nothing more, nothing less.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Maybe Chris can expand a bit more on this.

Just saw it a few times over the past week or so and it did not feel right for me. Perhaps because the word 'dumb' translates exactly to 'dom' in my language ;) So, I thought to ask those Cans. and the Ams. and the Germs and the Pols and the Engs and the Russes. what they think?

123 Posts Rocky? Out of 547,414 - is about .02% - not exactly big?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have searched a bit more intensively, and find that Chip uses the word quite frequently, as of late. (Never in a negative fashion)
I could not find a single post where it was used in a derogatory fashion.
Nevertheless, I defer to our Dominican DR1 brethren.
If they were to tell us all in a somewhat unanimous voice, that it's like the "N" word, then we should stop using it, even if we meant no harm.