US economy

Status
Not open for further replies.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
Not sure if most DR residents are following this, yet sooner or later this will affect us all...USD is tanking ( seems like the DR central bank doesn't care how low the USD is going - DOP follows suit ), gold & oil at record high prices - expect $ 4 at a pump near U soon...NY AG has a press conference tomorrow morning regarding predatory ( subprime ) lending...Citi has to break or go under, GMAC is about to announce 26 bil losses which could make GM fall.
Does anyone thinks that the DC cares about the US economy, US wage earner or the US dollar ? Feel free to show me recent history that shows they do.
I see blood on Wall St...

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Not sure if most DR residents are following this, yet sooner or later this will affect us all...USD is tanking ( seems like the DR central bank doesn't care how low the USD is going - DOP follows suit ), gold & oil at record high prices - expect $ 4 at a pump near U soon...NY AG has a press conference tomorrow morning regarding predatory ( subprime ) lending...Citi has to break or go under, GMAC is about to announce 26 bil losses which could make GM fall.
Does anyone thinks that the DC cares about the US economy, US wage earner or the US dollar ? Feel free to show me recent history that shows they do.

And the point of this post is???

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Who is DC and what does that have to do with the DR? As far as prices being US4 at a pump near me they have been around US5 for quite a while, so what is the big deal???

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
Who is DC and what does that have to do with the DR? As far as prices being US4 at a pump near me they have been around US5 for quite a while, so what is the big deal???

5 near you when they where 2.50 in the US...you do the math pal...

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
And the point of this post is???

Well, you better count your beans...do you know how much Banco unPopular wrote off for the 3rd quarter ? Is your DR account held at BOP (FDIC) insured ? CIBC ( Scotia's cousin ) exited the US completely...I'll PM you with the details if interested

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
we dont live in the usa

haha yet all the real estate prices are listed in USD...Argentina had it's currency pegged to the USD 'till the s*&t hit the fan...don't get me wrong, I adore the DR, I go there every month ( if Marco would have bagels I'd go twice a month ) and I will move there ASAP, yet since CNN, CNBC etc do not feed you anything real ....capisci ?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You better just convert all of your USD and/or RD pesos, to GOLD while they are still worth the paper they are printed on.

tambo'

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
You better just convert all of your USD and/or RD pesos, to GOLD while they are still worth the paper they are printed on.

tambo'

tambo, if I may...CHF & (or) NOK...people just don't get it, Citibank, the biggest bank in the world is about to fall...their board had a meeting last week-end and sacked the chairman...If EUR is not above 1.50 by Dec 15 I am liable for a presidente to every member in Dec 28

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
...If EUR is not above 1.50 by Dec 15 I am liable for a presidente to every member in Dec 28
I doubt you will buying those frias on the 28th, only 367 Pips to go.
CASH is no longer a flight to safety.
Crude is gonna hit PAR by friday.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
haha yet all the real estate prices are listed in USD...Argentina had it's currency pegged to the USD 'till the s*&t hit the fan...don't get me wrong, I adore the DR, I go there every month ( if Marco would have bagels I'd go twice a month ) and I will move there ASAP, yet since CNN, CNBC etc do not feed you anything real ....capisci ?

Guess a never seen before uptick in middle class European buying Dominican real estate properties is in order..

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
A couple of quick notes ...

Citibank will be bailed out. The fed still has money for this. The next one is in a heap of trouble though ;)
Gold is too expensive! If you have not bought by now, probably don't buy!
Crude is gonna hit PAR by friday - Yes or sooner!
CASH is no longer a flight to safety - depending which cash?
Blood on Wall Street - Yes! I might be drinking my remaining cash - how much US for a bottle of good wine after Friday?

I stopped following around mid-day. Can you believe it!
Dollar Down Again
Gold Sky High Record setting Territory
Oil getting back to Record Setting Territory
CitiGroup reporting massive losses
DOW up 60 Points at open !!

I'm now a scared bear as I don't understand this market and by the looks of things, no-one else does! Someone .. WTF?

What does this have to do with the DR? The DR will soon feel the effects of whatever is happening.

And now I'm even worried about the poster's name. Korej dk? Like David Koresh?

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
DOW up 60 Points at open !!

I'm now a scared bear as I don't understand this market and by the looks of things, no-one else does! Someone .. WTF?

What does this have to do with the DR? The DR will soon feel the effects of whatever is happening.

Dow propelled by soaring oil & precious metal prices maybe?

? went to $2.09 today :) before dropping back slightly. That's approx RD$70 to ? to keep this DR related. But tambo is right - there will be a knock on effect - Bank of England will probably reign in in January.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Don't compare this to '29 please. Many of the problems can be associated with the subprime feeding frenzy that finally imploded. Many people went bankrupt and not only that, real estate prices in general were way overinflated.

Things won't fall apart becasue of relatively low unemployment and the fact it will soon be a buyers market as property and home builders will be soon ready to lowere their margins and thus drop prices to increase interest. A real student of history would understand the cause and effect of the '29 crash and see the differences in todays situation.

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
A couple of quick notes ...

CASH is no longer a flight to safety - depending which cash?
Blood on Wall Street

I have everything in CHF...not much yield, yet is relatively safer than the other majors...I am keen on NOK too.
The market is manipulated by the PPT...almost every day, when the Dow falls, soon after midday you can see heavy, concerted buying of S&P futures.

not at all...kore comes from japanese and jdk is another story, yet thank you very much :)

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
Citibank will be bailed out.
QUOTE]

Soon we shall find out - they're in so deep...clients can only wire out 2K per day...this is major !

Dear Customer:

On December 20, 2007, the User Agreement for Inter Institution Transfers will change. Here what's changing:

After a review of our security practices, the daily limit on Outgoing Standard (3-day) transfers was changed temporarily to $2,000 on October 30, 2007. That $2,000 limit will be made permanent with this upcoming change to the User Agreement.

To review the entire User Agreement that will go into effect on December 20, you can see it at:
Citibank.com - IIT Terms and Conditions. If you use the Inter Institution Transfer service after December 20, you'll have to agree to this new version.

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,
Citibank Customer Service

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
One thing I can tell you how this will affect the DR. The Canadian dollar is at an all time high, meaning record numbers of Canadians travelling this year. I left santo domingo at the end of sept, and it was at about 30 pesos, It's hit 36 since, and now hovers around 35. It's good news for now. But you know what they say, when the US sneezes the rest of the world catches a cold, we'll see how it pans out.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
But you know what they say, when the US sneezes the rest of the world catches a cold, we'll see how it pans out.
In the past that was true, but now it may or it may not be true.

The following is from "The Economist":
Will an American recession drag the rest of the world down with it? The economies of Europe and Japan rebounded strongly in the third quarter, but look likely to slow down. Although both should be able to keep chugging along, neither is likely to set any great pace. Strengthening currencies will hurt exporters in both places. Europe's own housing hotspots are cooling, and some of its banks have been sideswiped by America's subprime ills.

The best hope that global growth can stay strong lies instead with emerging economies. A decade ago, the thought that so much depended on these crisis-prone places would have been terrifying. Yet thanks largely to economic reforms, their annual growth rate has surged to around 7%. This year they will contribute half of the globe's GDP growth, measured at market exchange rates, over three times as much as America. In the past, emerging economies have often needed bailing out by the rich world. This time they could be the rescuers.

Of course, a recession in America would reduce emerging economies' exports, but they are less vulnerable than they used to be. America's importance as an engine of global growth has been exaggerated. Since 2000 its share of world imports has dropped from 19% to 14%. Its vast current-account deficit has started to shrink, meaning that America is no longer pulling along the rest of the world. Yet growth in emerging economies has quickened, partly thanks to demand at home. In the first half of this year the increase in consumer spending (in actual dollar terms) in China and India added more to global GDP growth than that in America.

Most emerging economies are in healthier shape than ever (see article). They are no longer financially dependent on the rest of the world, but have large foreign-exchange reserves?no less than three-quarters of the global total. Though there are some notable exceptions, most of them have small budget deficits (another change from the past), so they can boost spending to offset weaker exports if need be.

This does not mean emerging economies will grow fast enough to make up for the whole of a fall in America's output. Most of them will slow a bit next year: for instance, China's growth rate may dip to ?only? 10%. So global growth will ease?which, after five years at an average of almost 5%, close to its fastest pace ever, it needs to do. But thanks to the vigour of the new titans, it will stay above its 30-year average of 3.5%.

Recession in America | America's vulnerable economy | Economist.com

-NALs :ermm:

Sep 19, 2005

so in short your saying: that the guy with bad teeth, selling boiled corn on Las Carreras ...STILL doesnt have dental coverage?

is the thanksgiving party still on??..is all I really want to know

bad bob

Status
Not open for further replies.