tropical storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

linny1

Nov 7, 2007
I know there has been a tropical storm in the Dominican republic in the last week or so and the damage to part of the island is extensive, I was just wondering what part of the island is affected. We are off to Sosua in 9 weeks to the Casa Marina Reef, I was wondering if everything is okay there, could someone help please.

Thanks
Lin

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There was little or no damage beyond some local flooding far from Sos?a. In 9 weeks they can build a resort, much less repair one. But not even that. In Sos?a there was rain, and a bit more rain, but nothing more.
The suffering and the loss of life was much further south, so as not to bother your vacation.
You might want to pack a suitcase with your old clothes, since there will still be a need to help those displaced from everything they held dear.

HB

linny1

Nov 7, 2007
There is no need to be so sarcastic, I was asking a general question. I know there was much suffering on the island and I am truly sorry about that but it is hardly my fault that I happen to be going on holiday there and wanted to be prepared. I have never been before and do not know what to expect. I take it you are american with a name like that!!! Typical

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sosua is very fortunate, geographically speaking, in that it is quite hurricane proof, and never gets as beat up as other areas of the country, by tropical storms and hurricanes.
There is absolutely no evidence of the storm around here and your vacation will not be affected.
If you have not stayed in Casa Marina before, it's a pretty decent resort, but the best part about it, is that it's located right in the center of town, so you're not going to be "held captive" like in most other AI resorts that are so isolated.

linny1

Nov 7, 2007
Hill billy

I am very dissapointed with the reception I have had with your reply, it is my first time on here. We have had our share of flooding and devastation in the uk this year so I am not being unsympathetic to your predicament as I was also driven out of my home by flloods, how dare you try to imply that I don't care about the people of the Dominican Republic and that I am only interested in whether my holiday is going to be okay. I find that extremely offensive.

linny1

Nov 7, 2007
Thankyou rocky for your polite reply. I am very much looking forward to coming out in January.

linny1

Nov 7, 2007
Yes it will be but the people we are coming out with have been once before to the same hotel that we are going to and they recommended it very highly.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Linny1,

Coming to Hillbilly's defense and beleive me he needs no defense, but is one of the most repected men on this board. He was not belittling your trip, but just letting you know it was the south end of the island that was efffected, and that it would not hinder in any way your vacation. The areas that were devestated will take months if not years to fully recover. So as he said if you have the room and have some old clothes that you don't use, they would be appreciated in those areas.

So please come and enjoy our beautiful island, its beaches, shops, weather, presidentes and rum, food, and its people. Enjoy

Bob K

linny1

Nov 7, 2007
Hello Bob,

It sounded sarcastic to me and I would still come even if it had hindered my holiday to see if we could be of any help. I have clothes that I could bring, is it light clothing you would prefer me to bring. I am really looking forward to coming to the dominican republic.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hello Bob,

It sounded sarcastic to me and I would still come even if it had hindered my holiday to see if we could be of any help. I have clothes that I could bring, is it light clothing you would prefer me to bring. I am really looking forward to coming to the dominican republic.
If I may, I know of no drop off point around here to help the relief effort.
It's all happening on the South coast.
Perhaps Lambada knows of a local spot, but I haven't heard of one yet.
Of course, anything and everything you might bring can go to good use for people in need around here, but it wouldn't be specific to the tropical storm that caused so much damage in other areas.

larry_1

Oct 31, 2007
Many people, including myself, have asked about the conditions in the area. It is hard to not see devestation in the media, and the media is not specific as to where, Reports of 80% of country. Even POP province was under a red alert (river from Santiago) People tell me I'm crazy cause I'm going to Sosua "manana" Thursday. I have investigated and know things are ok, but coverage will scare away some for awhile.

I look forward to meeting Rocky, I love ribs, and I really love the "so your bored thread"

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) Drop off point-> Local Catholic church most likely. Certainly the one in Puerto Plata.
2) POP is under a Red Alert due to the possibilities of heavy rains on sodden earth. We can remember the flooding of many barrios not so long ago.
3) Sorry, Linny, if i got under your skin. I have to admit that I was a bit unfeeling.
However, your's was a normal question, and probably deserved a simpler answer: No problem.

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
Many people, including myself, have asked about the conditions in the area. It is hard to not see devestation in the media, and the media is not specific as to where, Reports of 80% of country. Even POP province was under a red alert (river from Santiago) People tell me I'm crazy cause I'm going to Sosua "manana" Thursday. I have investigated and know things are ok, but coverage will scare away some for awhile.

I look forward to meeting Rocky, I love ribs, and I really love the "so your bored thread"

Mooseman here. I, just like larry_1, am arriving Thursday in Carabete. Looking forward to meeting some folks face-to-face.

Linny1, we are just bringing items for distribution in the area, not specifically for flood relief. Anything you bring will be appreciated, I am sure. Contact me PM if you want to discuss.

Presidentes at Rocky's anyone? Good-bye Canada - hello DR!

Mooseman John

Mooseman

Oct 28, 2007
Mooseman here. I, just like larry_1, am arriving Thursday in Carabete. Looking forward to meeting some folks face-to-face.

Linny1, we are just bringing items for distribution in the area, not specifically for flood relief. Anything you bring will be appreciated, I am sure. Contact me PM if you want to discuss.

Presidentes at Rocky's anyone? Good-bye Canada - hello DR!

Mooseman John

OK, OK I spelled it wrong, Cabarete, not Carabete...so I'm a drinker, not a speller...!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yeah, but I'm getting old and my memory is..................... what was I saying?

Your memory, my friend, is pretty sharp! But not assisted by people asking the same question in different threads.............I would hope the tourists would do a bit of a search before asking. I mean if drloca can find Sosua all the way from Punta Cana by public transport bearing supplies for those in need, it shouldn't be beyond your average joe to search DR1 a bit, should it? But then again maybe some of the posters aren't average joe's...............:cheeky:

And to anyone thinking of bringing 'stuff'. Please do. You will have no problem in finding someone who needs it, it WILL be appreciated, whether it is specifically for flood relief or just general need.

And in advance, thank you for your efforts! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.