Distance Realisation

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Some of you will know and some won't, I am married to a lovely Dominican and we live in the UK. Everything is great, we have a fantastic marriage and a beautiful daughter. DR has never felt that far away - 9 hours on plane and a phone call every Sunday makes it seem so close sometimes. Until yesterday that is - Rodolfo's (my husband) grandfather died yesterday and it now feels like the furthest place on earth. Rodolfo was so close to his grandparents when growing up and it's hit him really hard. We had his grandma and his mum crying down the phone last night but both trying not to because they understand how hard it is for Rodolfo being so far away. We just feel so bad that there is nothing we can do, we can't get out there right now as we can't afford to until next year and we both have work commitments that won't allow it right now.

I only met his granddad a few times but he was a lovely guy, really funny and he loved all the kids being round him, he will be missed very much by the whole family and all his domino playing friends.

Rodolfo's worry now is that his grandma won't cope without him (these are the same Grandparents that Rodolfo's parents had to go and rescue during Noel).

So like I said at times like this UK and DR seem so far apart we can't even give his parents and brothers and grandma a hug or go to the funeral.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Kate, my sincere condolences to you and Rodolfo. Take comfort in the fact that Dominican families being what they are, R's parents are certain to give his grandmother the practical and emotional support she needs.

(I was moved by your post because we here are potentially in the same predicament, reversed.)

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Kate, my sincere condolences to you and Rodolfo. Take comfort in the fact that Dominican families being what they are, R's parents are certain to give his grandmother the practical and emotional support she needs.

(I was moved by your post because we here are potentially in the same predicament, reversed.)

Thanks Chiri. Yes, you're right his parents will take very good care of his grandma. If it hadn't been bad enough for her loosing her house a couple of weeks ago she's now lost her husband too - I just wish we could go over to help out a little (not that we could do much more if we were there to be honest). But we'll be over at the end of March and will do everything we can then. All we can do now is just keep calling.

And thanks for the other member who sent the lovely PM - you know who you are ;)