Road between Sosua and Santiago

canuckgirl

Nov 1, 2007
Does anyone know for sure if the roads between Sosua and Santiago have reopened since the tropical storm last week? It was rumoured that both the Mocca Road and the Careterra Turistica were washed out. I need to go to the airport tomorrow and have to be certain the road is passable. Thank you.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I can't guarantee it, but as best as I know, the Moca/Sabaneta road is fine too.
Carretera de Jamao al norte is in perfect condition I Took this way to go Cabarete yesterday.
JJ.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey, have you driven it lately? If so, state what you observed and do not be such a wise guy....JJ is a pro and knows the roads...

HB

canuckgirl

Nov 1, 2007
Thanks

Thank you for all of your replies. I knew I could count on DR1 regulars to get the answers. Have a great day!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A friend went to Santiago from Sosua yesterday on the mountain road. Said the road was open and passable, but lots of damage from the recent rain. Some of the places that were fixed after last big rain must be fixed again. She recommended not driving the road at night.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I was on the road to Santiago Monday up and back. Pretty much the same as before the storm. If you drive all the time you will be fine. Others caution, and I don't reccommend driving at night as others posted.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I just did the return trip, using both roads.
The Moca road is no different from before, zero damage.
The Caretera Turistica has one spot where it's down to one lane for 100 feet or so, as they are in there with the heavy equipment, shoring up the sides.
It also has a few more potholes than the last time I was on it, but that's normal.

N

naturelover

i meant its hardly perfect what with all the potholes.....are you in a bad mood today hillbilly

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
i meant its hardly perfect what with all the potholes.....are you in a bad mood today hillbilly
It's not a bad mood thing.
It's a question of you mocking JJ's report.
perfect condition lol
By Dominican standards, it's as perfect as can be for a mountain road, plus the OP is about additional damage that may have been caused by the storm, of which there were none, and to finish, that road has very few potholes, relatively speaking.

N

naturelover

the lol signifies a lighthearted remark...............as everyone knows surely

N

naturelover

"makes note not to be lighthearted again" i consider myself told off yet again....its getting to be a habit.......writing is so difficult...it can always be interpretted two ways

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear naturelover: You got that remark because the poster, JJ, happens to be a very, very knowledgeable person, and one who drives that road more times than you can shake a stick at.
Therefore, when he said it was "perfect", he said it within the parameters of Dominican highways.
Your remark seemed to indicate that you had personal knowledge of something not noted by JJ.
And that is why I asked you, if you had personal knowledge of something missed by JJ, to please post it. The fact that you were being snide and a bit arrogant was not ameliorated by the universal "LOL".
The OP had asked a very serious question regarding the safety of the various roads to Santiago. You did not contribute one iota to that information, yet JJ, a professional, did, in a positive manner that would permit an intelligent decision to be taken by the OP.
EOS

No bad moods.

HB