Live in DR, How to buy car in PR

Lopin19

Nov 8, 2007
Hello, this seems like a very good source of info:

Ok i have been trying to find out How do i buy a car in PR going there buying it and bringing it to DR, i live in DR i was born here, and there are some cars in PR years 89-94 that im interested in buying one.

Im planing to talk with the sellers and going there a weekend, buying the car, and bringing it here to make it mine,

BUT, i mean, what do i have to do in PR to buy it and bring it here safe and cheap, and since im gonna travel in ferry, how much will i pay, what do i have to do to get the matricula traspaso etc done....???

buy it, do the traspaso in PR???? or bring it as a visiting car?? i heard i only have to buy it there, get it in the ferry, and get it out on the street THEN i do the traspaso and all, but im really not comfortable, i want to know the deals and tricks, i dont wanna be charged a lot of money, and such, i want to keep it cheap

Feb 7, 2007
You will sign a sales contract in PR.

You bring the car on a ferry as a visiting car.
You can drive legally for 3 months. Then you need to leave the country and get back to become legal again, on PR license plate. You can drive to Haiti I think.

To get street legal in the DR You have to get DR matricula (title) and license plate. To get that, you need to pay the import tax. The import tax will be the same on 89-94 vehicle as on a same brand model for 2002 vehicle (5 year old max import rule). After you pay import tax, you will need to pay matricula fee. Total, you will pay about 35% of the value of the comparable 2002 model. So you will pay about double or triple of what you pay for the car as purchase price in the PR.

In my opinion it's not worth to do that. Maybe you can live with having to go to Haiti every now and then for your car to stay legal.

On PR plate you will need a USA insurance that is valid internationally (e.g. DR, Haiti).

Lopin19

Nov 8, 2007
gotta love this country, oh well in the legal sight its really imposible, but there are some cars, some models that are driving around as visiting cars but already past the exp date, that would be an option, unfortunately i would need power to survive getting arrested and my car impounded :p

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
What would happen if you kept using the car and did not return to PR?

Lopin19

Nov 8, 2007
well, the military has those checkups, they ask for insurance, matricula, license, you will have the licence but the expired visitor papel wont help you, they could impound your car, but if u have money and power or ways to survive you can do it, but ull be not street legal, ducking under the shadows of amets and checkups... not pretty if u dont have power....

Feb 7, 2007
The only way to stay street legal would be going back to PR every 3 months or optionally to Haiti... ?? consult a lawyer