Is the water safe?

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Guys
I was in my Grandmothers house today in Las Colinas ,Santiago and I notice that the water from COORASAN was not clear and had a bad odor to it. Is it biological safe to consume?
We are using Cascada now in my house but will like to know in general since the Noel issue.
PS: there appears to be a water shortage I have 4 days with out water in my house. Had to buy a 1500gl truck.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
My opinion would be NO!

About the only ones drinking the public water in the DR are those born and raised here. In the states when a water main breaks they issue a warning to boil the water for the next couple days, here in the DR, broken water mains are a common everyday thing.

Some people even run their water pipes next to (Along side) the sewage pipes when they hook them up. Using PVC and bad connections, not very safe conditions!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I gotta go with Dan on this one. There are many areas of Santiago that have serious problems with water.
We are quite fortunate here in the Jardines.
Do boil the water.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Boil the water or purify it with cloro or the product Purrissima that is sold in the DR in any case, but especially if you are buying water. They pump that water out of rivers, maybe even out from under cows and horses that are in the river and peeing in it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is a good reason you see so many people buying the 5 gallon jugs of water all over the DR. The same reason as in Miami and most of the US and Europe.

Don't drink the water.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
There is a good reason you see so many people buying the 5 gallon jugs of water all over the DR. The same reason as in Miami and most of the US and Europe.

Don't drink the water.

Actually, in the US it is quite rare to not have potable water. While people may buy bottled water thinking that it is cleaner, in fact some bottled water has been found to be inferior to the quality of tap water. We have many strict regulations governing water lines in the US.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Actually, in the US it is quite rare to not have potable water. While people may buy bottled water thinking that it is cleaner, in fact some bottled water has been found to be inferior to the quality of tap water. We have many strict regulations governing water lines in the US.

I know you cannot drink the water in Miami. I did spend some time there.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Water with a Taste

.... The same reason as in Miami and most of the US and Europe.

Nobody in Germany, Austria ans Switzerland needs to buy drinking water in bottles. There tapwater = drinking water.
(BTW, Germany has one of the strictest water laws worldwide.)

In the aftermath of 'Noel' the local water authority was recommended by foreign experts to shut down its 'drinking water' system for the 'capital' for some time as corpses and dead animals would pollute the rivers used for the drinking water supply.
The president rejected this proposal.

DominicanosHoy.com, Tu peri?dico Digital

Janin

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I know you cannot drink the water in Miami. I did spend some time there.

You may have thought that you couldn't drink it or maybe there was a boil water alert becasue of a water main breakage or you had well water and not city water but I checked the Miami Dade webpage and they say the water is in compliance with State and Federal guidelines and is in fact "high-quality drinking water". As a civil engineer who works in Florida, I know this is the truth because I work in this field.

Miami-Dade County - Water & Sewer

I they could ever implement the very high standards of water purification, construction materials and techniques and connection protocals to existing water mains, we could have it here too in the DR.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Chip,

All agencies aside. If you wanted to save a lot of rent money you could drink the tap water in Miami and you would only need a one room apt.

Just a Bathroom would do. Trust me I lived there awhile.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I did a chemical test with a couple different kits puchased over the internet a couple years ago.

I tested the water from the tap (in Santiago - reparto Via Olga) against "Cascada" drinking water. Chemically, I found them to be identical EXCEPT the tap water had slightly higher chlorine levels than the Cascada bottled water.

These tests did not take any bacteria into account, and were purely chemical tests, but all the same they seemed to indicate that the tap water was safer or drinking than the bottled water. (the presence of chlorine would seem to indicate - to me at least - that bacteria would not be a big issue)

I still drink bottled water though, it tastes better. (I switched to Extra brand)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This is a common occurrence, not just in the DR. I have seen lots of reports of tests that showed brands of bottled water were not as good as the water from the faucet. The one that really sticks in my mind was that the bottled water bought by the White House was less pure than the faucet water.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Gracias to all.
Due to the Noel factor We have take the measure to use bottle water for everything for the next 4 weeks till the authorities at Coorasan cna said is oky. I have a reverse osmosis system but it clearly states that is not going to remove any bacterias.

i also have a industrial grade filter going from the street to my cisterna and a house filter form the cisterna to the house.
I have tested the water and is not even safe for my fish tank.

PS I got a 18 bottle rack from casadasa and I get the 5gallon jugs for 18 pesos each.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004

Don't drink the water.

really do not know what you are talking about...lived in Miami and orlando for 20 years and always drank tap water,and just about every other place in US and Europe I lived,as well as here in SD,and Samana for that matter...the water in Samana out of
the tap,in El LImon,is nice and cold all the time,and tastes great.
bob

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have well water (which I wouldn't drink if you paid me) and the guy from Inapa came last week for the bill. He comes every three months and it has gone up from 200 RD$ a month to 500RD$ a month and I have never paid. What for??? it is my hole in the ground and how can he turn me off if I don't pay? Anyway I now owe 20 odd thousand pesos. it says on the bill - agua potable - so I poured him a glass of water from the tap - full of salt, dead rats, bateria, parasites, leaves etc and said 'you drink my 'agua potable' and I will pay all my bill here and now." Guess what? he wouldn't drink it and I still haven't paid the bill!!!!

matilda

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
You can google a product called Aquamira.

I've used the water treatment, water drops and filters many times. The water treatment and drops create Clorine Dioxide when mixed in the tanks or any container you use and purify the water.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Since I did such a good job stirring the pot on the water in Miami I will see what I can do for Cabarete.

A few years ago there was a friend of mine that was a doctor and worked at Servi Med in Cabarete. He had a water tester and every time he went to a retaurant on the beach in Cabarete he asked for a glass of water. He then tested the water. Only one restaurant out of the many he went to gave him water that was safe to drink.

You would think that with the high prices they charge they could spring for bottled water even if you just ask for a glass.