First time in DR - will visit Juan Dolio: Questions

New_traveller

Nov 8, 2007
Hello,

I am new in this forum, and hope to get some advice from here.

we (hubby and me) have planned a trip to Juan Dolio in December.

First, I'd like to know if safety is a concern when visiting DR - we'll stay in an all-inclusive resort for a week; Are there anything we should know about safety?

Second, we would like to see some places when staying in Juan Dolio, any one can recommend a good tourist agency to go with? We do not speak Spanish, so it is preferable to have an English-speaking guide in the tour. Or any other ways to go around to see places? (we will not drive there).

Third, transport from SD airport to the resort in Juan Dolio - are there anything we need to know about finding a taxi at the airport?

This is our first time to visit DR, and I am excited and look forward to our trip; at the same time, I am a little nervous because it is a new place for us and we do not speak the local language.

Any advise and recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

lumiere987

Jul 4, 2007
Hello,

I am new in this forum, and hope to get some advice from here.

we (hubby and me) have planned a trip to Juan Dolio in December.

First, I'd like to know if safety is a concern when visiting DR - we'll stay in an all-inclusive resort for a week; Are there anything we should know about safety?

Second, we would like to see some places when staying in Juan Dolio, any one can recommend a good tourist agency to go with? We do not speak Spanish, so it is preferable to have an English-speaking guide in the tour. Or any other ways to go around to see places? (we will not drive there).

Third, transport from SD airport to the resort in Juan Dolio - are there anything we need to know about finding a taxi at the airport?

This is our first time to visit DR, and I am excited and look forward to our trip; at the same time, I am a little nervous because it is a new place for us and we do not speak the local language.

Any advise and recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Juan Dolio is a relatively safe place. Do not worry all inclusive hotels organize tours. Taxi service is $30.00 to Juan Dolio; As soon as you come out of the airport you will be greated by 50 or so people offering taxis. The nice thing about Juan Dolio is that you can walk around the small town versus some all inclusive which are totally isolated.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Do get out of the resort and visit some of the local

restaurants and bars.
If you post the name of the resort that you are staying in we'll be able to give you better info as to what is nearby.

Excursions can be booked through the resort or from several different tour companies on the street (they tend to be a bit cheaper than the resort prices).

You'll definitely want to take either the Catalina Island tour or the Saona tour.
Both are nice.

Exercise the same caution you would use at home I.E. don't flash a lot of cash, keep expensive jewelry to a minimum and be aware of your surroundings (avoid dark places at night) and you'll be fine.

Have fun!!:bunny:

New_traveller

Nov 8, 2007
Thanks for the reply and info - the resort we'll stay is Barcelo Talanquera Beach Resort, any recommendations on what to see/buy/eat/know within walking distance?

About airport taxi to the resort, anything we should know or to avoid when being greeted by 50 or so people offering taxi?

Thanks very much.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Talanquera is in the middle of Juan Dolio, which is about 3-4 miles long from one end to the other. If you turn right out of the resort you have the chocolate bar within a couple of minutes which is a nice bar open all day and most of the night. if you walk a little further on the right you have a small shopping centre with supermarket and gift shops and an internet cafe. About a 20-30 minute walk you have the little village of what was the original Juan Dolio with restaurants, bars and a couple of tourist shops. If you turn left out of Talanquera you walk along a windy road for about 15 mins (do not do this at night as unlit) and you will come to the Villas del MAr part of Juan Dolio. This has english bars (Freedom and Giulias cafe) restaurants and shops. You can get around by walking or on motorbike taxis (motoconchos). You can walk along the beach in both directions for miles.

Matilda

Chinita8

Jan 26, 2007
The taxi service at the airport is not too bad can be overwhelming with all the people but someone will direct you and when you walk out the taxis are all on your left. When I was there in August someone had a clipboard with fares and destinations so hopefully they still have that, if not just make sure you know how much before you get in.

I did the Catalina Island tour a couple years ago and it was a great time! An all day trip but well worth it!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.

New_traveller

Nov 8, 2007
Thanks to all the replies to my post - they are very informative. Any additional response and suggestions are appreciated.

Now I just come up with some additional questions -

- about currency. Is U.S. dollars acceptable to pay for taxi and other costs (e.g. restaurants, shopping, excursions, etc.)? Should we prepare some local currency upon arrival at the SD airport?

- about language. Since we do not speak Spanish, I think we are going to prepare a piece of paper, before arrive SD, that shows the names of our resort and the town. Would this be sufficient to let the taxi driver know where to take us? Or May be he/she can speak English?

Thanks - again.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
You can pay the taxi in American $$$.......

then change some money for pesos in Juan Dolio. Most resorts do have a 'cambio' or change bank in the resorts and there are many on the beach road whichever direction you go.

You'll overpay big time if you try to deal only in US$$$. Much better to carry pesos.

If you want to exchange at the airport the taxi fare to Juan Dolio was RD$1500. last time I took a taxi (but I only paid rd$1000 after a heated discussion with the taxista -in Spanish!!;))

Don't expect the taxi driver to speak anything but Spanish altho' you might get lucky and find one that knows a little english.

As long as you can say Talanquera, Juan Dolio (Wan Doleeo) you'll be okay.

I believe the exchange rate is 33-34 pesos to the US$ right now. There is a thread on the board that gives current rates.

Last edited:

New_traveller

Nov 8, 2007
If you want to exchange at the airport the taxi fare to Juan Dolio was RD$1500.

Does this mean if I pay by pesos, I'll be paying more (RD$1500~US$45) for taxi; - the 1st response after my original post mentioned the fare is ~US$30? Looks like we'll be end up paying somewhere between US$30-45 for airport to Juan Dolio resort?

While I am budgeting our trip, I also would like to find out how much the excursions will cost (approximately). During the week we are in Juan Dolio, we may take 3 half or full day excursions. Any information on this will be very helpful. Thanks.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
If that's what the exchange works out to!!!!

Of course I haven't taken a taxi since April but I don't think the fares will have gone down.

Can't tell you excursion rates.....they seem to fluctuate depending on the time of year and resort and tour company. Last I heard it was about US$75 for a full day Catalina or Saona Island trip. Well worth it as lunch and drinks are included and some include snorkeling gear also.

Perhaps Matilda can chime in with some current rates for excursions.....

gdb1976

Nov 10, 2007
Great thread since I will be staying at Talanquera next week.

Can anyone recommend a bar in Juan Dolio where I can watch NFL football?

Thanks for all the great information.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
NFL football available at Freedom bar (on the corner opposite Hotel Capella, about 15 mins walk from Talanquera) or Guilias cafe another 10 mins walk up the boulevard from Freedom.

Tours usually cheaper outside the hotel, there is a good company in the plaza next to Freedom bar. Saona and Catalina full day are now closer to 90 us$ in the hotel - but you do get what you pay for. You pay less and you get less drink, lower quality boats and worse food. Neptuno dive on the beach in Talanquera offer a good Catalina tour I think for around 90us$ but argue - you may get it cheaper. I suggest you do either or both saona and Catalina towards the end of your trip as they are full day sun sand and sea tours and you will get fried if you don't have a good base tan. Catalina is more about snorkelling and diving, and Saona is more time on speedboats and catamaran. Both have lunch and time on a white sandy beach. Other trips are Santo Domingo either half or full day 40-80 US, an island tour in the back of an open truck where to get to see coffee, sugar, waterfalls etc. You might like to go horse riding or four wheel trips both for a couple of hours. The former is available through guys on the beach - Crazy horse, and the latter Faenza rent a car down the boulevard past Giulias cafe. There is scuba diving too - from a try dive to a four day course.

Hope that helps

matilda

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Taxi fare

I took a taxi from Las Americas to Juan Dolio back in May and it was $40 US.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Actually you will probably find NFL available in your hotel room via cable TV - if you are lucky!!!

New_traveller

Nov 8, 2007
Thanks for the info on rates of excursion and taxi, etc. The replies have been very helpful.

Just thought of tipping in DR - are there any general rules to follow when tipping for services such as taxi, hotel room, restaurants, or excursion tour guide? How much (%) to tip? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Dudefish

Feb 21, 2006
Taxis are easy from the airport 25mins into JD check out Giulias (julias bar) a great place to get all the info u need in english!..Great food too